Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the first bike I've had that has no center stand. What do I need to get , because I am not going to pay the local Honda shop 85 bucks an hour to change my tires. Also , the bike came with Dunlop tires , which I've always thought were a good brand , but the rubber seems too hard , and I've had the bike come out from underneath me twice since I got it. and I've NEVER had this happen before .1st time: I turned onto a street that had a different pavement that , in the light rain , LOOKED slick ,and I was easing across this short stretch at about 15 mph when it went squirrely on me. The other time I was turning around and there was some loose gravel where the road and this drive came together . My front wheel just went sideways.
The result is that I've become nervous at any intersection where I can see there is any sort of skree , and I've been MAKING myself ride in light rain to get over the fear caused by the first incident. This is my 4th bike , but also the largest I've owned. I love my bike, and I love riding. I used to run Yokohama tires , they had a softer grippier rubber , and price was good , though they didnt last long. Any thoughts would help. If this has been covered in another thread, I apologize , I was not sure how to phrase the question. Thank you,
Mike G

·
Super Moderator
10,469 Posts
Get a bike jack (Harbor Freight steel jack is often on sale for under $100) and then make yourself a stand from 2x4 lumber and some nails and screws. Total cost for the stand is under $20. Plans for the stand are on the Cafe. Search for them. Use the jack to lift the bike, slide the stand under it, lower the jack, and now the bike rests VERY sturdily on the stand. You can remove the wheels/tires with the bike on this wood stand.

Reactions: Corey Mathery

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
671 Posts
This is my setup:
Jack (the extension pads come off, and it fits under the bike perfectly at stock height), This lift does have the safety locking points:
1500 lb. Aluminum ATV / Motorcycle Lift (harborfreight.com)

Because I am a person who believes that a jack is for jacking, and a stand is for holding the bike lifted. I have this. It is adjustable height, and get high enough for me to mount a darkside rear tire with an R fender (this requires a lot room under the fender), but normally it is in the lowest position.
SD1K ATV Motorcycle Engine Cradle Dolly | Redline Stands

This setup will work for whatever cruiser you have, so if you do sell the VTX, you wont have to get rid of it.

My bike looks different now, but here is a picture of my setup:

Mounting the wheel after I had a shop mount the car tire:

·
Super Moderator
10,469 Posts
With the bike on a stand, the jack can be used raise, lower, and position the rear wheel/tire as you get it into position. On some bikes this is easy but on other bikes it is more difficult. On all bikes, the rear wheel/tire combo is heavy and, without the use of the jack, must be lifted at an awkward angle - awkward for your back that is.

·
Registered
17,019 Posts
The 4 digit mfg. code is embossed on the sidewall of all tires. the 4 digits represent the week and yr. of mfg. More than 4-5 yrs. old the rubber gets hard, loses gripping ability. This is what you are experiencing. Regardless of amount of tread left. When buying new ones, don't buy old stock, even if the "price is right". The old OEM Dunny's were not really good tires, but the newer dual-compound Dunny's the Elite 3 and Elite 4, are!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone for some much needed information. I did find out what's the problem with my tires was. Each tire was 20 lb of pressure low. I came across some articles on tire pressure, and decided to check mine. The difference has been amazing. The deal is, they did not LOOK low! The bike handle better, accelerates better, and I'm not nervous turning at an intersection where there is scree.

·
Registered
2007 1300C
558 Posts
Sand and gravel can be treacherous, especially on a hard surface road, regardless of tire pressure! I have felt my tires slip on rocks in the road several times, really increases the pucker factor. I am surprised there are no holes in the seat of my pants.
It is good that you discovered the pressure difference, changing temperatures will affect tire pressure as well, ride safe, ride often.

Reactions: Mmg1972

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sand and gravel can be treacherous, especially on a hard surface road, regardless of tire pressure! I have felt my tires slip on rocks in the road several times, really increases the pucker factor. I am surprised there are no holes in the seat of my pants.
It is good that you discovered the pressure difference, changing temperatures will affect tire pressure as well, ride safe, ride often.
A good biker friend of mine said that it was the drastic change in temperature that caused the difference in air pressure. And the reason they didn't look low is because of how many more plys and shape of a bike tire vs. An automobile tire. I just don't remember having this problem on my other bikes, but then this bike is twice the size of my old ones, except for the Silverwing and it's significantly bigger than that one. One thing may be is that I am significantly older and more conscious of the consequences of wrecking now than I was in my teens and early 20's, when I had not been seriously injured and walked away from somethings that, looking back, should have messed me up pretty badly. I don't bounce like I used to! 😅

1 - 9 of 9 Posts