Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,011 Posts
That seems impossible. It seems more likely that the fluid level is above the sight glass so there is no fluid/air line visible in the sight glass which makes it look empty but is really full or maybe even overfull. The sight glass is just a hole in the side of the reservoir with a clear plastic cover over it. I do not see how the reservoir could be full and the sight glass show empty.

If you are messing with the reservoir or the fluid, be careful. The fluid used for the clutch is just brake fluid and this stuff will quickly damage paint. It will damage not just the pretty paint on the tins but also the paint on the frame or the outside of the reservoir. If you spill any brake/clutch fluid on a painted surface, immediately wipe it up and then flush/rinse/wipe with more water.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I’m grateful for the comment. What started me wondering was the fact that the sight glass has always indicated the ‘normal’ halfway mark until last week, when I noticed the fluid level seemed to be dropping. The next day it was in the ‘empty’ zone. I thought perhaps the hydraulic system had sprung a leak, but there was no evidence of fluid leaking, and when I removed the cap, the reservoir was full of fluid. Very odd!

·
Registered
18,086 Posts
That seems impossible. It seems more likely that the fluid level is above the sight glass so there is no fluid/air line visible in the sight glass which makes it look empty but is really full or maybe even overfull. The sight glass is just a hole in the side of the reservoir with a clear plastic cover over it. I do not see how the reservoir could be full and the sight glass show empty.

If you are messing with the reservoir or the fluid, be careful. The fluid used for the clutch is just brake fluid and this stuff will quickly damage paint. It will damage not just the pretty paint on the tins but also the paint on the frame or the outside of the reservoir. If you spill any brake/clutch fluid on a painted surface, immediately wipe it up and then flush/rinse/wipe with more water.
Not only that, but after 19 years since mfg., my metal housing is developing corrosion near where the cap screws onto the reservoir. IDK what to do about that except replace, or sand/ polish like aluminum pitted rims, forks.

·
Registered
18,086 Posts
Thanks! I’m grateful for the comment. What started me wondering was the fact that the sight glass has always indicated the ‘normal’ halfway mark until last week, when I noticed the fluid level seemed to be dropping. The next day it was in the ‘empty’ zone. I thought perhaps the hydraulic system had sprung a leak, but there was no evidence of fluid leaking, and when I removed the cap, the reservoir was full of fluid. Very odd!
IDK, but I believe that sight glass should be totally full above the eye piece. My opinion, the sight glass not only shows how full it might be, but it's to allow for showing discoloration of the fluid as it turns color from use and aging. The fluid should be changed every 2-3 years regardless of color or level shown.

Reactions: mark1of8
1 - 5 of 5 Posts