Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
MJ09
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend pointed out one of my lights was out on my 09 1300T aftermarket light bar so on the way home I dropped into my local Honda dealer to see if it was just a burned out bulb or something else. They pulled out a burnt 25 w bulb and since they did't have any replacements in stock they recommended replacing both lights with 35 w. Leaving the dealer, everything was fine but 5 minutes later when I got on the highway, I had no driving lights, no indicator lights and no speedo or mileage indicator. Called the dealer when I got back home and they told me to check two green connector plugs under the front of the gas tank and they are fine.

Would the switch to 35 w bulbs have blown a fuse or caused another problem? I won't be able to get back to the dealer until next weekend and am looking for a quick self fix. Anyone got any ideas?

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
35 watt bulbs won't hurt a thing..Now switching to 55 watt bulbs will fry wiring and that, but 35 watt'rs are good to go...I have 35's in my light bar...You have something else going on...I'm gonna guess a bare wire touching metal blowing the fuse

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Glad you found it. Also you can if you like go back to the dealer and tell them that the green wire plugs under the tank in front has nothing to do with the symptoms you described. They are wrong!

Donut :patriot:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
It's not easy troubleshooting mechanical or electrical problems from a thousand miles away, but some guys on here just seem to have a knack for it. Nice going, Bassdude :icon_mrha
Bry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts