Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I'm headed out on a trip in about 5 weeks and I have no speedometer, odometer, left turn signal or any lights on the cluster except green neutral (when applicable) and red oil before I start the engine. I checked the voltage and ground on the green plug under the tank for the speedometer and it was good, I checked the fuses and I checked the connection to the battery, all good.
Any ideas where I could go from here?
Thanks,
Jimamiah

·
~ High-Finesse Hooligan ~
11,589 Posts
There are two green plugs under the tank (you only mention one) and both need their connectors to be tightly pushed together. Also need to make sure that none of their pins have 'pushed back' and as a result, not making good connection... let us know what you find...

·
Super Moderator
5,359 Posts
There are two green plugs under the tank (you only mention one) and both need their connectors to be tightly pushed together. Also need to make sure that none of their pins have 'pushed back' and as a result, not making good connection... let us know what you find...
Exactly what I though too..

Reactions: Jimamiah

·
Mosin Prime
2019 Indian Roadmaster P3 Tail Light w/Photon Blasters Alert Diode DynamicsLEDs Adaptive2 Headlight
810 Posts
Get up under the seat and make sure all the connections in the jumble of wires are all connected. Had an issue with my left turn signal when I wired my LEDs a while back. Wired and rewired a couple times until I thought to look in the area around the battery where all the connectors come together for the turn signals around the battery area. As for the odometer not working, not sure where those wires all go to, but maybe tracing those wires and making sure everything is connected is a good place to start if you haven't already. Hope that may be some idea to get you going in the right direction.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for getting back so quickly. I have read many threads that indicate the need to check those plugs and I have checked them 4 or 5 times..... I will go back and check the pins to see if any of them have slid back in the plug and let you know. By a visual inspection I didn't see anything that caught my eye but I'll check again this weekend.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE- I checked the green plugs yet again with a close eye on the individual pins and sure enough 1 was not fully engaged. Once I corrected it then all the lights began to work properly however the speedometer and odometer still are not working. I also checked the wires under the seat and the ground wire at the coil. It's looking more and more like the sensor (sending unit) so that's my next challenge. Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

·
~ High-Finesse Hooligan ~
11,589 Posts
It might still be the green plugs... when you fixed the non-engagement issue, did you notice any corrosion, green oxide on the pins that could be preventing electrical contact? Could be a broken wire internal to the insulation... that would require a volt/ohm-meter and the schematic to troubleshoot. If truly sending unit, I'm wondering if anyone out there knows how to troubleshoot that?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It might still be the green plugs... when you fixed the non-engagement issue, did you notice any corrosion, green oxide on the pins that could be preventing electrical contact? Could be a broken wire internal to the insulation... that would require a volt/ohm-meter and the schematic to troubleshoot. If truly sending unit, I'm wondering if anyone out there knows how to troubleshoot that?
I found no sign of corrosion on the pins. It was quite clean and appeared to be seal well. I did find a test to do with the volt/ohm meter and it had voltage where it was suppose to and the ground ohmed out as it should. I hear many people say that the sensor just doesn't go out much but a couple people posted that when they changed the sensor and it corrected their issue. I'm open for suggestions, I love the journey of working through different options.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does the odometer display but not calculate the mileage, or does it not display at all?
The odometer does display but not calculate. The tripometer will move about .7 during a tank of fuel which makes no sense to me at all.
Sweet look on your ride!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
The odometer does display but not calculate. The tripometer will move about .7 during a tank of fuel which makes no sense to me at all.
Sweet look on your ride!
It is possible for the speed sensor to crap out on you. It happened to me. My speedo would work when it wanted to then drop to zero when it didn't, odometer wouldn't calculate either. If you haven't done so, check the continuity from the green plug to where the speed sensor connects under the right side cover. Just to insure you don't have a broken wire. Of continuity is good, most likely the sensor. There is a write up somewhere about how to spin the rear tire and check the sensor but I don't remember where. You can get a new sensor for $80-$90. I will say installing it is a PITA. I tried some of the "easy" ways people had posted and after wasting about an hour and a half, did it the way the manual calls for. Dropping the coolant overflow and everything. Hope that helps you out. Sorry I can't be more specific on some of the details, this was 4-5 years ago I had to replace mine, and i e had no issues since. Thanks for the compliment on the ride. Too bad she's busted up right now, but she will ride again.

·
Mosin Prime
2019 Indian Roadmaster P3 Tail Light w/Photon Blasters Alert Diode DynamicsLEDs Adaptive2 Headlight
810 Posts
Wish I could be more help on the speedo issue. But wow cue, that bike is stunning. Jawdroppingly awesome!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts