Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My vtx 1300 was in a stand still while i was deployed in Iraq for 18 months... When i got back it would not start and i notice the gasoline was extremely varnished and clumpy. I cleaned out the Carburetor completely and the gas tank along with the fuel lines... Now the bike turns on instantly and idles perfectly, but i have no throttle response if i hold the throttle it dies, if i put it into first gear it dies because i cant give it adequate gas. Any ideas that would help?:banghead:

·
Gator for life
4,116 Posts
Ok, first off, we are talking about having the kickstand up when you put it in gear, right? sorry, I know it seems dumb, but a lot of us have done it.

Second, have you tried using some seafoam fuel additive in a fresh tank of gas? It works great, follow the instructions on the can, and I use it every 5 or 6 tank fill ups.

I'm sure others will have more helpful suggestions too.

And finally, thank you very much for your service, and welcome home.

:patriot:

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
First thing that comes to mind is:
Being you said you cleaned the carb completely did you get the cap on top along with rubber boot aligned right when you put it back together?
Being your not getting any throttle response I would start there because its 100% vacuum operated and if the cap & boot aren't on right you wouldn't get any vacuum to the slide.

P.S. Welcome to the Cafe & "Thanks for your service"

·
9,160 Posts
First thing that comes to mind is:
Being you said you cleaned the carb completely did you get the cap on top along with rubber boot aligned right when you put it back together?
Exactly! If in fact you disassembled the carb completely and cleaned it, then be sure you have reassembled as described. :cheers:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I read all the posts about the kickstand and checked that, but it turns off differently when its the kickstand its more of an immediate shut off, mine sort of bogs down then dies.

I put a regular carb cleaner additive to the premium gas after I cleaned the tank, is the seafoam fuel better? Where can I find it?

I will double check the carb, I thought I did put it back together correctly but could be it, better than taking to shop and getting charged for that quick fix..

^^^ Haha the auto correct on my phone is horrible.

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
When you pulled the carb apart did you remove the tube the main jet screws into, it has a bunch of very small holes in it that need to be cleaned.

Cap on the slider has a dimple and it must align with the cut out in the carb body for the slider tab.

·
Gator for life
4,116 Posts
Thanks for jumping in guys. My knowledge is pretty basic, I knew ya'll would know more detailed info.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Welcome to the cafe from Florida and thank you for your service.
+1 first and foremost thank you!:patriot: Aside from that I cannot be of much help. Not a carb guru. Have made the mistake of leaving the kickstand down though.

I read all the posts about the kickstand and checked that, but it turns off differently when its the kickstand its more of an immediate shut off, mine sort of bogs down then dies.

I put a regular carb cleaner additive to the premium gas after I cleaned the tank, is the seafoam fuel better? Where can I find it?

I will double check the carb, I thought I did put it back together correctly but could be it, better than taking to shop and getting charged for that quick fix..

^^^ Haha the auto correct on my phone is horrible.
I wouldnt bother with Premium or common carb cleaners but thats just me.

I definitely believe in seafoam though. That stuffs amazing. Put it in through the tank and vacuum lines. I doubt that will solve your issue though seeing as the blocked area seems to be allowing no fuel besides the idle so its completely blocked or not connected correctly. But definitely a good idea after.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
There are only three reasons you can have no response from the throttle. First, the throttle cables are not connected to the drum correctly and the internal valve is not turning. This is easy to check visually. The most probable reason is that the vacuum diaphragm is not lined up properly. See page 5-14 in the service manual. The diaphragm has to be lined up with the tab in the slot so that the vacuum can pass through the gasket hole and pull the slide up. Spray that vacuum port out with carb cleaner. Finally, the vacuum line from the intake manifold to the carb could be disconnected. See page 5-16 of the service manual. Service manual is located in the sticky posts.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I just want to add one thing... I am in no way a carb guy but I just went thru this recently and I suggest pulling the plugs and seeing if they are black. I fouled mine during the restart process by getting a little heavy with the choke. Pulled em and saw they were black and 15 minutes later new plugs and a kick ass ride! Just a thought...

Thanks for the service!

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Did you set the A/F at 2.5 turns and not what the manual said also is the idle set too low.
try nor to use the choke because it will foul the plugs quickly.

Donut:patriot:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts