Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The noise that I hear sounds like a push lawn mower where the cranking rope attaches to the starter and makes a {kinda} grinding sound where the bearings sets in the cup. I can't tell if its coming from under the seat or from the rearend/driveshaft area.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Jack the bike up and see if the wheels spin freely or not. Also check the sides of the wheelbearings, see if there is any grease there (shouldn't be there, the grease should be INSIDE of the bearing). Or you can take the bike for a quick spin around the block, and then reach down and feel the wheel hubs, if they are hot then you may indeed have a bearing problem.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Jack it up and grab the wheel and see if there is any side to side slop. Just make sure you do not push it off of the jack.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The noise that I hear sounds like a push lawn mower where the cranking rope attaches to the starter and makes a {kinda} grinding sound where the bearings sets in the cup. I can't tell if its coming from under the seat or from the rearend/driveshaft area.
Take your fist or a rubber mallet and tap up and down your pipes. You may have a loose heat shield. Often times when one is just slightly loose it will rattle intermittantly and at various rpms.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts