Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Chap Dawg
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can somebody please post a picture of where to find the coolant level? I've looked at the manual two times now and just can't seem to spot it. These 51 year-old eyes must be a failin' me.
:banghead:

·
Chap Dawg
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got it!

Got it! Thanks for the help, Whisper! :D

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Should be a sight window on the left cover toward the seat opposite the air cleaner
Nope...He has a 1300.
There is a plastic tank down on the swingarm in front of the rear wheel. It has a high and low mark.
Filler is under the left side cover, directly below the seat.

·
Registered
51 Posts
jstar61, that sounds right just make sure you have the bike level (as best as you can) to check/fill the coolant!

btw, shutterbug, your bike looks like mine...even the saddlebags!

·
Registered
99 Posts
A picture would still be helpful. I simply cannot find the reserve tank - no doubt I've been looking right at it all along.
Thanks,
Rik

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
A picture would still be helpful. I simply cannot find the reserve tank - no doubt I've been looking right at it all along.
Thanks,
Rik
It's mounted on the frame, right in front of the rear wheel.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Mine is totally different. than above - pics attached
Your picture looks like it shows the rear brake resevoir. The coolant tank is in front of the rear wheel under the swing arm.

·
Chap Dawg
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your picture looks like it shows the rear brake resevoir. The coolant tank is in front of the rear wheel under the swing arm.
lol - thus justifies my original "noob" title in my first post. :harder:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Find it Dave?You should see it under left side of bike. right behind oil filter.A plastic jug good luck..

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
It's mounted on the frame, right in front of the rear wheel.

this is it. basically on the 13, just to know what you're looking at, if your standing on the stand side of the bike, just look directly behind stand and below bike, it'll be there. now find a couple of block to get bike sort of straight and you'll see your plastic container, with the level markings, as shown on pic above!!! let us know when you find it, ok. and of course, if you go to the right side of back, standing in the back to the side a bit, you;ll be able to see it also, just to get an idea, then get block, blah blah blah...:choppersm

·
Chap Dawg
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Find it Dave?You should see it under left side of bike. right behind oil filter.A plastic jug good luck..
Yep, I did, Thanks! Now that I know where to look it stands out like a gorilla at a beauty pageant. This forum has got to be the ultimate noob resource...I've got SOOOO much to learn. :coffee:

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Thanks,
Rik
First of all welcome to cafe :coffee:
just out of curiosity, when you say "the reserve tank" is this still a coolant question? or are you asking about the gas/fuel reserve tank???

if you're referring to the fuel/gas tank, the reserve tank is in the gas tank. the 1300's dont have a low fuel light like the 18's, it lets you know by going something like , "sputter, sputter, then it stops, then you know, no gas" but you have a petcock that's on the left side has 3 position, and it's below the gas tank, almost in the middle, in front and above the ignition!
On a 1300, down is on, sideways(horizontal) is off and up is reserve, meaning, as you hear your ride sputtering, you reach down with your left hand, turn the petcock handle up, and you're now in reserve. now, go to gas station, fill up, turn petcock to down position, so that you'll have a reminder and reserve gas for next time. use your odometer, you actually have 2 trip settings, and depending on your driving you should know that by 140 or so, you should be getting gas. run it down a few times yourself, in different situations around town, and on highway (with stations near, not out in boondocks) and you'll be able to figure out the mileage you get. i dont know if this helps you, if this was your question, but noticed one post, and figured, throw it out anyway! Oh yeah LEWISTON, Welcome...ask, post, read, ride safe and often..this is a good place to be...

nice pics to help the guys JSTAR61 :choppersm:patriot: :coffee:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Can somebody please post a picture of where to find the coolant level? I've looked at the manual two times now and just can't seem to spot it. These 51 year-old eyes must be a failin' me.
:banghead:
Just so you know, the real way to check the radiator level is to remove gas tank and then remove radiator cap and look.
Keeping the coolant reservoir at a proper level does not mean the radiator itself is at the correct level.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Just so you know, the real way to check the radiator level is to remove gas tank and then remove radiator cap and look.
Keeping the coolant reservoir at a proper level does not mean the radiator itself is at the correct level.
I didnt know that checking the reservoir wasnt a indicator that you might be low on coolant.:hmm2:

·
Registered
91 Posts
thats how i check my radiator fluid,you just have to wait till the engine is cold to get correct reading........no need to take gas tank off to put fluid in..thats why there is neck on the reserve jugg to fill it when needed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts