Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2004 1300 C
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
OK, I went to take off my air box and ran into this problem. When going to unbolt the single bolt that holds the box to the bracket, it spun and spun not wanting to back out. I finally popped the box off and here's what I found. The rubber grommet that holds the nut was spinning not allowing me to back out the bolt. In examining the rubber grommet I found the shaft of the thing irregular and uneven (see pic). I went to order new one from Partzilla (any other place good to order parts as in 24 hr shipping etc?) and found that shaft of the grommet regular and even (see pic).

Is that new part a tight press fit? It looks to be.
Is mine uneven because I over tightened the times I've had the box on and off?
(Shaving off rubber causing a loose fit...thus the spinning of the nut)

Thanks!

P.S. My wife retired in June. We moved to East Tennessee from Minnesota in July looking for a house. A hellish story. Just got over fighting COVID. Never been so sick with the flu. Took the VTX out for a ride yesterday, 57 degrees. Beautiful day. Hip is throwing fits. Limited distances to ride. About 60 miles RT max. But great to get out even for an hour or two.

Attachments

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,767 Posts
Just a "well nut" the idea being it expands when tightened.

It's not really necessary I never fooled with it. The 3 carb screws hold the airbox on. The rubber well nut is probably just to prevent vibration.

I always pulled it off without messing with the well nut. Many do the same.

Looks like it's too late if you already bought one but I wouldn't tighten it enough to expand just shove it through the mount hole and good enough.

·
Registered
2004 1300 C
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

It's not really necessary I never fooled with it. The 3 carb screws hold the airbox on. The rubber well nut is probably just to prevent vibration.

Looks like it's too late if you already bought one but I wouldn't tighten it enough to expand just shove it through the mount hole and good enough.
It won't reseat. Loose. Turns with bolt not allowing it to draw up or away. I've done a lot of carb work and the had the box on and off. The rubber grommet sure suggests vibration dampening. I suppose I don't even need it, but I ordered brake shoes and new air filter. It was cheap enough. I'll be real careful tightening it hereafter.

·
Registered
Deplorable #2
6,700 Posts
That's probably what they mean. If mine won't break loose, I tilt it down a little (using a socket/rachet) to put pressure on the rubber grommet and it always comes loose. I never tighten it very much. I agree with Indy that it's probably there to prevent airbox vibration at speed. (y)

BTW Thanks for the pics of it removed (y)

Reactions: Country Cruiser

·
Fastest Red Club Member
7,767 Posts
You have to mean you don't even use the well nut? Leave it off.......
No it's there. I don't loosen the nut. Just pull the airbox off. Pops back on and then screw in at carb. No biggie.

I wouldn't take it off completely.

·
Super Moderator
10,469 Posts
Using a long large screwdriver, you can reach in with it from the LEFT side of the bike and have someone press the screwdriver hard into the exposed end of the rubber grommet. This will usually bind up the grommet enough to prevent it from turning while a second person turns the metal bolt from the right side of the bike. The pressure needed to push on the screwdriver can be enough to push the bike over from its sidestand so having a third person press back from the right to prevent the bike from tipping is a good idea. The same technique can be used to hold the grommet when tightening the bolt.

·
Registered
2004 1300 C
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's probably what they mean. If mine won't break loose, I tilt it down a little (using a socket/rachet) to put pressure on the rubber grommet and it always comes loose. I never tighten it very much. I agree with Indy that it's probably there to prevent airbox vibration at speed. (y)

BTW Thanks for the pics of it removed (y)
Thanks. That's a good tip if it ever happens again. I have to install a new one, the old one won't stay in the bracket after I yanked the box off. It will be a gentle turn to tighten.

·
Registered
2004 1300 C
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Using a long large screwdriver, you can reach in with it from the LEFT side of the bike and have someone press the screwdriver hard into the exposed end of the rubber grommet. This will usually bind up the grommet enough to prevent it from turning while a second person turns the metal bolt from the right side of the bike. The pressure needed to push on the screwdriver can be enough to push the bike over from its sidestand so having a third person press back from the right to prevent the bike from tipping is a good idea. The same technique can be used to hold the grommet when tightening the bolt.
Wow, sounds like this nut is a known issue. I've had that box on and off for carb cleaning, new jetting, accessing the bowl drain for over wintering...it finally failed. Over tightening for sure. Ya learn something every day. I hope you're enjoying your winter getaway!

·
Super Moderator
10,469 Posts
Yes, absolutely this is a known issue. The grommet spinning when trying to remove the bolt is very common.

·
Registered
2004 1300 C
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

So I could attach well nut/bolt to the air box off the carb. Put the box on the carb putting well nut through holder and secure box with three screws. Very litte tightening to well nut. So next time the air box comes off, back out the screws pull off the box with well nut still attached to box. Maybe put a dot of blue loktite on it to keep the bolt from vibrating out. Ill have to dry fit and play around with it. Im a dense debbie tonite. Had time to sit down and think it through.

·
Fastest Red Club Member
7,767 Posts
Since you replacing the nut just use it as intended. Mine doesn't work so that why I force it on and off.

·
Super Moderator
10,469 Posts
I do not believe that the bolt is intended to expand the grommet and "lock" it in place. If this was the case, the grommet would be loose in the metal tab and would spin as you try to screw in the bolt. Since there is no easy way to hold the grommet and prevent it from spinning, I do not believe this is the designed method for it to work. Sure, you can try to prevent the grommet from spinning using the above-mentioned long screwdriver method but this is a work-around not the intended method of use.

I believe that the grommet is supposed to git in the metal tab tightly enough to prevent it from spinning when inserting and removing the bolt. Since the bolt goes into a metal shaft inserted into the grommet and not an end plate on the grommet, there is no mechanism for expanding the rubber in the grommet.

So Honda's intent was for the rubber grommet to fit tightly into the metal tab. They failed in their execution on this part and it, unfortunately, routinely spins in the metal tab.

·
Registered
2004 1300 C
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I do not believe that the bolt is intended to expand the grommet and "lock" it in place. If this was the case, the grommet would be loose in the metal tab and would spin as you try to screw in the bolt. Since there is no easy way to hold the grommet and prevent it from spinning, I do not believe this is the designed method for it to work. Sure, you can try to prevent the grommet from spinning using the above-mentioned long screwdriver method but this is a work-around not the intended method of use.

I believe that the grommet is supposed to git in the metal tab tightly enough to prevent it from spinning when inserting and removing the bolt. Since the bolt goes into a metal shaft inserted into the grommet and not an end plate on the grommet, there is no mechanism for expanding the rubber in the grommet.

So Honda's intent was for the rubber grommet to fit tightly into the metal tab. They failed in their execution on this part and it, unfortunately, routinely spins in the metal tab.
I was digging in my parts box and came across a brand new nut. I had to buy a new box for the 06. It fits very loose in the bracket. No possible way it would work to hold the nut for tightening. I then examined the nut closely. The threads are on the far end of the nut. It appears that in tightening the bolt, it would draw that end up to the bracket. In fact i can hand tighten the bolt and it will start drawing up and bulging the rubber. You can see that bulge in my original nut pic. I think youre right, its supposed to be a somewhat press fit into the bracket to allow it to do its job. Now i have to get creative or just put it on the box and let it dampen vibration with a loose fit or whatever. This ones a FAIL Honda.

·
Super Moderator
5,477 Posts
Hi Rog, I have got a fix for you on this matter! Follow the link below and get yourself a "U" Nut and proceed per the link. You can find this "U" Nut at Ace Hardware and probably any well stocked hardware store. I did this to both of my bikes as I had the same problem with both, just don't over tighten the bolt, just snug it I have never had a problem with loosening up!!!

·
Registered
2004 1300 C
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I was digging in my parts box and came across a brand new nut. I had to buy a new box for the 06. It fits very loose in the bracket. No possible way it would work to hold the nut for tightening. I then examined the nut closely. The threads are on the far end of the nut. It appears that in tightening the bolt, it would draw that end up to the bracket. In fact i can hand tighten the bolt and it will start drawing up and bulging the rubber. You can see that bulge in my original nut pic. I think youre right, its supposed to be a somewhat press fit into the bracket to allow it to do its job. Now i have to get creative or just put it on the box and let it dampen vibration with a loose fit or whatever. This ones a FAIL Honda.
Hi Rog, I have got a fix for you on this matter! Follow the link below and get yourself a "U" Nut and proceed per the link. You can find this "U" Nut at Ace Hardware and probably any well stocked hardware store. I did this to both of my bikes as I had the same problem with both, just don't over tighten the bolt, just snug it I have never had a problem with loosening up!!!

Howdy Jim! Sheesh, that's simple enough. I bet electricians use those :) Thank you kindly. I love Ace Hardware. I still don't know my new home town to well. I'm sure we have one.....I hope we have one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts