Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's almost all in the title ... I'm getting this metallic popping sound when I back My bike out of the shop I go to ride. Coming from the front brakes. I'm always checking my front brakes again I pull my front calipers and I still have 2/3 had been left to.This sound while walking bikes backwards out of shop... Doesn't sound healthy. I know I have floating disk. There is a little bit of a ridge built up I don't notice it growing anymore from when I 1st got the bike to date. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and have there is something that I need to look for on these front disk..
Unrelated I feel a vibration in the seat when I apply my rear brake. This is new. It feels like my phone is on vibration and sitting in my lap. Buy my phone is on the bars. I'm about to pull caliper and check pads back there as well

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
Front wheel bearings??? When was the last time you checked them? Put the bike on a stand and see if you get the noise with no weight on the wheel.

·
Registered
16,927 Posts
Just an opinion. When mechanical devices get used in a certain direction 99.9 percent of the time, they wear in a certain pattern, a 'set' if you will. When they are forced to go against their set, they could make a different sound. Moving forward too, they will make a certain noise, and moving backward, they might make a different noise. Do you have a bike stand where the wheel can be spun both directions with no weight on the 'load'? Have to eliminate things one at a time.

·
Super Moderator
10,298 Posts
With the caliper removed and held up somewhere by a bungee, does the sound/vibration still occur when walking the bike backwards? This would seem like a definitive test to determine whether the problem is front brake related or not.

·
Registered
31 Posts
With the caliper and pads mounted and bolted in their proper place, are u able to wiggle, or even slide, any brake pad generously within its mounted position? I’m wondering if u’re missing a brake pad keeper spring or two?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
The "rear" brake vibration may very well not be unrelated as the brake system is tied together. Pedal brake will operate a percentage of the front brake too...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well it's almost all in the title ... I'm getting this metallic popping sound when I back My bike out of the shop I go to ride. Coming from the front brakes. I'm always checking my front brakes again I pull my front calipers and I still have 2/3 had been left to.This sound while walking bikes backwards out of shop... Doesn't sound healthy. I know I have floating disk. There is a little bit of a ridge built up I don't notice it growing anymore from when I 1st got the bike to date. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and have there is something that I need to look for on these front disk..
Unrelated I feel a vibration in the seat when I apply my rear brake. This is new. It feels like my phone is on vibration and sitting in my lap. Buy my phone is on the bars. I'm about to pull caliper and check pads back there as well View attachment 240077 View attachment 240078 View attachment 240079
I’d start by making sure all the fasteners holding the rotors and calipers are tight. Then try backing up with the brake slightly applied to see if that affects the noise.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I recently noticed a strange sound when rolling my 1800. I could even hear it while riding slowly if I listen really close. I found that it went away as soon as I applied very light pressure to the front brake.
I jacked it up to get front wheel off the ground and found that the noise always happened as the wheel reached a certain place. I assumed a high spot on one of my rotors.
I removed both front calipers and cleaned the old grease from the slide pins and relubed the pins with new brake grease. Problem solved!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With the caliper removed and held up somewhere by a bungee, does the sound/vibration still occur when walking the bike backwards? This would seem like a definitive test to determine whether the problem is front brake related or not.
Havent tried that

1 - 9 of 9 Posts