Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Yes, Same Thing... some need work on bike .. others show up for lunch and ?????? lend a hand. I go for lunch. ask Gaston.
Yes sir I sure do plan on being there, I can't wait to meet you guys. I'm sort of shy but after a bit you can't shut me up! I want to help work on the bikes I'm at least pretty good at that, and I can cook some, even owned my own restaurant at one time. Wish my wife could make it she's more outgoing but she works weekends. If things work out I may have a couple of things to put on my bike by then but if not I'd love to help others.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Shy is an understatement for me.... I do not cook.
I am a retired auto mechanic (43 years). and retired part time Honda motorcycle mechanic (20 years)... and jack of all trades (on going)......
if it needed a wrench to fix it.. I most likely did...

my wife no longer rides with me... she did from 1971 till 2004.... all over the country.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Shy is an understatement for me.... I do not cook.
I am a retired auto mechanic (43 years). and retired part time Honda motorcycle mechanic (20 years)... and jack of all trades (on going)......
if it needed a wrench to fix it.. I most likely did...

my wife no longer rides with me... she did from 1971 till 2004.... all over the country.
Jack of all trades master of none here too! I have a knack for mechanics, cars bikes boats atv's it doesn't matter. And I love to make things from metal, wood whatever so yes looking forward to helping as much as I can. Trying to find people to ride with that are more considerate than who I have been riding with and don't mind riding alone but could stand the company if I can hook up with the right people. I know it sounds picky but you'd have to know what I'm used to I guess! I'm real easy going and some people see that as an opportunity to get over on you I guess ): I love taking long trips on the bike and will usually go on a trip last minute just because I'm bored. I'm hoping you guys are what I've been looking for.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
the hardest part to finding a riding companion... is riding style and how far away they live from you..

I tend to ride for 6-8 hours in a day. back roads. twisties ... hills... farm country.... and most do not like that... not for hours...

See under my sig photo.... 44 years and 350,000 plus miles on bikes ... I am 61 and still ride a lot... money allowing ...
I just returned from Florida... trailered bike down... and put 2,000 miles on bike in a couple of weeks...
plus stuff with wife and in-laws also without bike.

I used to travel... 83 Goldwing with Shureline trailer... later 86 Goldwing SEI with Combi-Camp... camper... I logged over 50,000 miles on camper...

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
the hardest part to finding a riding companion... is riding style and how far away they live from you..

I tend to ride for 6-8 hours in a day. back roads. twisties ... hills... farm country.... and most do not like that... not for hours...

See under my sig photo.... 44 years and 350,000 plus miles on bikes ... I am 61 and still ride a lot... money allowing ...
I just returned from Florida... trailered bike down... and put 2,000 miles on bike in a couple of weeks...
plus stuff with wife and in-laws also without bike.

I used to travel... 83 Goldwing with Shureline trailer... later 86 Goldwing SEI with Combi-Camp... camper... I logged over 50,000 miles on camper...
I ride a lot usually too and my riding style is whatever it has to be at the moment. I don't like to ride real aggressive but if that's what it takes to keep up with a group I'll run it out if I have too. I've put 33,000 on my Wing in the last 3 years and picked up the X because I wanted something smaller and a little more nimble to ride some of the twisties on. I'm working to get the bike to where I can do the same with it, jump on and run to California or Sturgis but not go all the way like the Wing is. I love the highway but also enjoy the back roads and just got back friday from 2 weeks in Daytona trailered the bike down so my wife would ride with me and rode some but no where near as much as I wanted, the people I went to ride with went to visit relatives for a week in the middle of my stay (didn't know they were before I went or I wouldn't have stayed) and met up with a nice couple from Canada but he was on a BossHoss and wasn't into long rides because it is hard to ride for too long (one day wrecked him for two) and evryone else in Florida I knew was busy so I got some pool time in instead! Figure I'll make up for it real soon, Deals Gap with Gaston, Indiana with Bill if that ride is still on and the tech session is a good start.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
when I had the Goldwing's I also had sport bikes....

had to give up the sport bikes around 2000...

Wife stopped riding in 2004... so in 2005 let the wing go and picked up the VTX.... smaller, lighter, faster... better in the twisties . much easier to clean also.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Yes sir I sure do plan on being there, I can't wait to meet you guys. I'm sort of shy but after a bit you can't shut me up! I want to help work on the bikes I'm at least pretty good at that, and I can cook some, even owned my own restaurant at one time. Wish my wife could make it she's more outgoing but she works weekends. If things work out I may have a couple of things to put on my bike by then but if not I'd love to help others.
Let me tell you, Chuck is a great guy to talk to. Does not talk much, but knowledgeable and good to talk with

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Something else I will say, techs days can be a lot of fun or a bit of a drag. You will have as much fun as you want, you just need to be willing to reach out to guys

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Something else I will say, techs days can be a lot of fun or a bit of a drag. You will have as much fun as you want, you just need to be willing to reach out to guys
I try really hard to be friendly but SOMETIMES I have a hard time in a crowd. One on one I'm ok and I'm not at all antisocial so I have no idea why I'm that "backward" but I loosen up some after a bit but hardly ever smile so it's mistaken for anger or not enjoying myself? I'm not outspoken, not a jerk, would walk away from a fight if possible and would do more than most people I know for someone I never met. I sometimes wish I could be the life of the party but in all honesty don't require that much attention so I'm content in a corner just talking to someone or not. I'm not trying to sell myself or sell myself short, I love riding, working on bikes but sometimes my people skills aren't as good as they should be, not easily offended, love a good joke no matter what kind. Non political, non religious, non racist but if you are it's fine with me, I don't judge. I've had a couple people on here get upset when I joked around and one of them I PM'd and worked it out the other well it sort of worked out on its own I guess. I truly believe I'm a fair man and a good friend but like everyone I have my limits and when they are reached you have no problem knowing it because I avoid you like the plague! This is probably way too much information but well I just figured I'd throw it out there. I am truly excited to meet each and every one of you and would ride for hours or days for that matter for the chance! Sliding my soapbox back under my desk now :icon_gigg

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
I try really hard to be friendly but SOMETIMES I have a hard time in a crowd. One on one I'm ok and I'm not at all antisocial so I have no idea why I'm that "backward" but I loosen up some after a bit but hardly ever smile so it's mistaken for anger or not enjoying myself? I'm not outspoken, not a jerk, would walk away from a fight if possible and would do more than most people I know for someone I never met. I sometimes wish I could be the life of the party but in all honesty don't require that much attention so I'm content in a corner just talking to someone or not. I'm not trying to sell myself or sell myself short, I love riding, working on bikes but sometimes my people skills aren't as good as they should be, not easily offended, love a good joke no matter what kind. Non political, non religious, non racist but if you are it's fine with me, I don't judge. I've had a couple people on here get upset when I joked around and one of them I PM'd and worked it out the other well it sort of worked out on its own I guess. I truly believe I'm a fair man and a good friend but like everyone I have my limits and when they are reached you have no problem knowing it because I avoid you like the plague! This is probably way too much information but well I just figured I'd throw it out there. I am truly excited to meet each and every one of you and would ride for hours or days for that matter for the chance! Sliding my soapbox back under my desk now :icon_gigg
best thing to do, hop in the garage and ask someone how you can help. My first tech day I was scared to open my mouth, when I went to Basedudes last year, I was just grabbing people and asking them to help.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
best thing to do, hop in the garage and ask someone how you can help. My first tech day I was scared to open my mouth, when I went to Basedudes last year, I was just grabbing people and asking them to help.
Gaston we'll be be fine. I'm not cripplingly shy or backward and I enjoy working on bikes enough I'll join in! I push through my adversity! And like I said in a little time you'll be looking for ways to shut me up!!! Chuck-VTX F hope you're not too shy to ride with me, you're only a hop skip and a jump away or at our age a hop skip and a thrown out hip away:glee:

·
Super Moderator
11,543 Posts
Two folks in this thread (may have been ironmk and Chuck_vtx) have said they got rid of their Goldwing and got a VTX 1300 because the latter is better in the twisties. I've never ridden a Goldwing so I have no first hand knowledge but I've always been told that the Goldwing only looks cumbersome due to all the light weight plastic (tupperware) covering it. At its heart, it is a super-powerful engine slung low giving it a low center of gravity and great speed and acceleration. Basically a street bike in crusier's clothing. I've seen videos or amazing things that can be done on the bike in the twisties. To you guys that have ridden both - what is your opinion on the Goldwing's nimblenes (or is that nimbleity)? Thanks.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Two folks in this thread (may have been ironmk and Chuck_vtx) have said they got rid of their Goldwing and got a VTX 1300 because the latter is better in the twisties. I've never ridden a Goldwing so I have no first hand knowledge but I've always been told that the Goldwing only looks cumbersome due to all the light weight plastic (tupperware) covering it. At its heart, it is a super-powerful engine slung low giving it a low center of gravity and great speed and acceleration. Basically a street bike in crusier's clothing. I've seen videos or amazing things that can be done on the bike in the twisties. To you guys that have ridden both - what is your opinion on the Goldwing's nimblenes (or is that nimbleity)? Thanks.

G'day,

Vinish
I still have my Goldwing and honestly would NEVER get rid of it, I think it has more pep than the VTX (sorry to hardcore VTX guys) it's as comfortable but it is BIG. I have the GL1500 an 89 but still looks new and I pull 400lb camper behind me and can't tell it's there! As far as twisters I would ride it on the Dragon, actually until I shook the X down I was taking the Goldwing down to Deals Gap because of how it handles and I trust it and have a feel for it. The big difference between them is you sit on the X and can see a lot more around you, but the Wing you sit in have more bodywork, feel safer and pampered (stereo,cb,heat vents, air shocks and on board air compressor) and totally surrounded. I bought the X to have something to hop on to run down to the gas station or ride to work, the Wing to me is for long trips in ultimate comfort but both can do pretty much the same and I have the same love for both my bikes! My opinion is you could not find a better all round bike than a Goldwing and please don't take that as a slam on any other bike, I love my X but it's no Goldwing and that's why I wanted one. Hope that answers your question!

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Yes Goldwings do well. but 1,000 pounds verses 700 pounds in a 500 mile day...

plus the side to side .. in traffic. wing is much wider. bars, fairing, bags.

I owned 3 wings... all good bikes. and Yes I have "hanged off" on the wings..

when the Wife stopped riding with me... and I no longer went on 1,000 plus mile rides..
I wanted something lighter/smaller and the "X" fit the bill.. but the Hammer was a close second.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Welcome Mr. Edd Sharp........ me, far side of Cleveland but NOT in Cleveland....

the end of this month... there is a meet and greet near Columbus... all are welcome ... if you can.

61 - 80 of 89 Posts