Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a dumb question, but how do you check oil on a vtx1800. I changed oil and filter this morning and added a gallon of oil (I know it's 3.9 quarts). To check I started and let run a couple of minutes, stalled and checked oil. The bike was upright (I had my wife sit on it and hold it upright) and checked oil level without screwing in the dip stick. The level was exactly at the lower check line. :banghead: Should the bike be on the kickstand? Should the dipstick be screwed in to check level? Thanks!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Here is page 80 from an 02 1800VTX/R on changing oil. Level surface, start engine and run for 3 to 5 minutes. Oil light goes off. Stop engine and wait 2 - 3 minutes. Remove dipstick and wipe clean. Hold Bike In upright Position. Insert dipstick until it seats but do not screw it in. Remove dipstick and read. Add oil if below or near to the bottom mark. Fill to upper mark, do not over fill. Check for leaks. This is my paraphrase but is accurate.

I want to say, how is a person supposed to hold the 700 pound bike with one hand and remove and reinsert dipstick with another. Best get help on this.

Also when I add oil from a one gallon container I first remove one cup then add all the oil. This is close to the 3.9 qt. measure called for. What to do with the cup? Heck if I know, maybe put it in your harley.

·
Registered
30 Posts
No Question is the only dumb question. I had the same ? too. On the kickstand its way over full. I left it with the 4 quarts and it was at the lower level too. As long as your between the 2 lines your good. The bike should be hot and upright. Add a little more as its probably not much. I dont know if its with the dipstick screwed in or not but the bike must be upright and hot.

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
use a 1x8 and a 2x8 nailed together, glued together, however you wish to hold it together, then slide it under the kick stand and check the oil...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Remember just because you think you put 4 quarts in, some stays in the can and who knows if its a full quart. Go by the dipstick. The wood blocks are a good idea, I'm gonna make me a kick stand block:cheers:. Thanks Paul

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
Remember just because you think you put 4 quarts in, some stays in the can and who knows if its a full quart. Go by the dipstick. The wood blocks are a good idea, I'm gonna make me a kick stand block:cheers:. Thanks Paul
if you do, do it the way i did it...i used a single 4x8

·
Registered
864 Posts
Here's another great idea that has been repeated on here many times.

After you fill your engine with oil- check it with the motorcycle upright to be sure it's up to the top line. ( I added 4 qts. and it was right on the top line).

Then put the bike on the kickstand and let it settle for a minute or two. After wiping the dipstick- lay it in the hole just like you would check it with the bike upright-(without screwing it in). See where the level is on the stick- make a small grind mark at that point on the dipstick- now you can check the oil level and verify it's full with the bike on the sidestand.

Oh- and don't ever start the bike without the dipstick screwed in tight. A guy did that a while back and it broke off from hitting some moving part in the engine. He had it just laying in the hole and it obviously wasn't straight. He ended up having to remove the side cover of the engine to get it out. He was unable to fish it out with a small telescoping magnet. So Beware of that!!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Be very careful when you have blocks under the kickstand the slightest bump or pressure against the bike towards the right side and the bike will turn over. The 1800 is a very heavy bike and if it starts to go and you grab the handle bars to pull it back you better have a lot of A$$ and arm strength to stop it.

Ask me how I know.

Check the oil and remove the block.

If you drained the oil, and changed the filter then put the whole gallon of oil into it don't worry the level is ok.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies. I was sure the bike needed to be upright and the dipstick inserted but not screwed in. I will employ one or more of the ideas suggested above for oil checks. Wife complains about how heavy the bike is. I help her get it off the kick stand and she can balance it. The blocks and grind mark makes more sense to me.

How much oil is left in a gallon container? Less than a quarter cup. I measured it and don't think that would be enough to bring the level up to the full mark. After letting the bike run for several minutes I shut it down and checked the level. I think the problem was not letting it sit for several minutes before checking.

Again thanks for the help and suggestions.

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
Did you use the longer filter that fits or did you go with a stock length.

The longer is the .1 qt difference

Oh and file the mark and then forget you even have the wood block unless you use it with you lift like I do.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you use the longer filter that fits or did you go with a stock length.

The longer is the .1 qt difference

Oh and file the mark and then forget you even have the wood block unless you use it with you lift like I do.
Yes I used the longer filter. I had not even thought about it taking more oil. I'll check the oil level tomorrow and see if I need to add a little more. The entire gallon was added, including the small amount remaining in the bottle. I have exactly 1 gallon of oil in the engine.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Be very careful when you have blocks under the kickstand the slightest bump or pressure against the bike towards the right side and the bike will turn over. The 1800 is a very heavy bike and if it starts to go and you grab the handle bars to pull it back you better have a lot of A$$ and arm strength to stop it.

Ask me how I know.

Hi Bill, I know how you know but I ain't sayin'! :rolleyes:

·
No Reason To Be Serious
16,394 Posts
Here's another great idea that has been repeated on here many times.

After you fill your engine with oil- check it with the motorcycle upright to be sure it's up to the top line. ( I added 4 qts. and it was right on the top line).

Then put the bike on the kickstand and let it settle for a minute or two. After wiping the dipstick- lay it in the hole just like you would check it with the bike upright-(without screwing it in). See where the level is on the stick- make a small grind mark at that point on the dipstick- now you can check the oil level and verify it's full with the bike on the sidestand....
I marked my dipstick and it works well... I changed my oil and filter, verified it was the correct amount, and then with the bike on its side stand, and dipstick in but not screwed, pulled the stick out and took a pair of sidecutters and bit down with the blades right at the oil level, then I spun the dipstick a few times.... perfect score line right where the oil level was supposed to be... no grinding involved just bite down with your side cutters at the right spot and twist it around...

Easy way to make the perfect mark....

My name's Spoiler, and I'm just here to help.... :)

·
Registered
6,396 Posts

Ask me how I know.

Hi Bill, I know how you know but I ain't sayin'! :rolleyes:
I almost found out about this first hand with the last oil change. Whew, is all I can say...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts