Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a 2002 he Electra glide with the twin cam 88. Lots of issues with that. I keep buying Honda's because of the supposed bullet proof reputations just have yet to experience that yet

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,936 Posts
I've never had any bike consume oil but I'm only on my third.
Typically VTX do not need oil. Something is odd with yours to have so many issues. Hopefully you can resolve it.

·
Super Moderator
5,585 Posts
OK, I see where you are coming from, and I understand it. Yes, Honda's are not completely bullet proof, but for the cost I feel that they are a great value. I have owned a 1974,5? Honda CL 360, a 1989 Honda 250, a 2004 VTX 1300's that I put 30,203 miles on, and a 2005 VTX 1300'S that I have already put ~ 5,000 miles on and I have never had to add oil between 3 to 5,000 mile oil changes yet. And, Yes Honda's do require a certain amount of preventative maintenance, but if you are mechanically inclined and have a copy of the maintenance manual (and you can get a digital copy of the manual on the Cafe), they are pretty easy to maintain. AND there is a great amount of expertise on this site that can't wait to help you out in any way that they can!!!!! All you have to do is ask!!!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
10,974 Posts
To use a quart of oil as rapidly as you indicate is a lot. You should be able to see this as drips under the bike where it is parked if it is on clean concrete. If you do not park it on a surface where you can detect drips, put some cardboard under it when parked to try to see any drips and help you find the source of them. If it is using a quart of oil that fast without dripping, where else could it be going other than past the rings and into the combustion. This would likely create a lot of bluish smoke in the exhaust.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
show me anything made by man that is produced and dependable to a fault..

NONE.

9 Honda's..... over 50 years of riding.... over 390,000 motorcycle miles....
2 had problems.. both had recalls....

it's the "OWNER" that causes most of the Honda motorcycle problems... mostly the First owner.
my VTX1800 from New to now,,, 88,500 miles.. and NO issues..
I never had a Honda use oil...

fyi.. 2002 and 2003 Honda 1800 changed the pistons.... do to owners lugging the engine... damaging the cylinders .......
yes covered under Warranty..

Lugging an engine ( any engine ) will damage ( distort ) cylinder walls.... not manufacturers Fault.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a 2015 shadow phantom I bought new. 800 mile service done by dealer. Oil change with honda oil every 3k miles. While the bike never left me on the side of the road the engine was almost as noisy as if mo oil in it. Honda wouldn't touch it. I think they are running on a reputation from many years back. I do ride a lot bu am a stickler for maintainence.. as i said in a previous post based on my experience they are over rated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I do love the looms of my vtx. Disappoo Ted in over a quart of oil every 800 miles. No smoke. Dry under engine no evidence of a leak. Plugs look good. I do not understand where the oil is going

·
Registered
8 Posts
I Give up. I can not seem to type today. Very disappointed with the oil consumption. Also transmission is very clunky for lack of a better word. Is this normal?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oil is cheaper than trading bikes. I Wil keep full of oil and keep riding it. Am at 45k miles now. I would be really happy with 88k trouble free..

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,936 Posts
Check the air filter. Excess oil will blow out the crankcase breather. Not that you have excess but that is where it goes on some bikes. Mine never has but open pipes and air and tune. Bikes vary.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
some brands of motor oil will evaporate // look it up..

oil ether leaks or is burnt off... spark plugs will tell if its burning oil.
it the 2 above is not found... it is evaporation, change brands of oil..

this information is 100 plus years old... and is still TRUE today,

·
Registered
17,234 Posts
I Give up. I can not seem to type today. Very disappointed with the oil consumption. Also transmission is very clunky for lack of a better word. Is this normal?
All Honda's are....'clunky'. I've had 7. But after I got this 1800 @ 5400 mi. and 8 yrs. old, I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic 4T 10W40 racing oil, and it eliminated -some- of that.

·
Super Moderator
5,585 Posts
The only time I have noticed clunky shifting in any of the Honda's that I have owned is in the first to second shift and the second to first shift. Of course on up shifting the only time I use the clutch IS the first to second shift because the rpm difference and fact that the bike usually gets revved up pretty high in first, which makes that shift a little too severe in my experience. I do however use the clutch when downshifting / compression braking. With a little practice, up shifting without using the clutch is faster and smoother than shifting with the clutch. I accelerate to my intended shift speed placing my heel on the shift lever with slight pressure shortly before reaching that speed and just ease back on the throttle for a split second which takes the strain off the gears (kind of like blipping the throttle in reverse, off instead of on and much less of a blip) without even changing the amount of pressure of my heel on the shift lever you are in the next gear and without even feeling it. In fact the shift is so fast and quiet it sounds like you are riding with an automatic transmission!!!!!

·
Registered
2006, VTX1300C
63 Posts
I just wanted to toss in here that these bikes are now starting to be 20 years old and 10 years out of production. You can expect the bike to burn oil now. So burning a quart of oil every thousand miles now on a bike with 40 or even 20,000 mi on it isn't surprising. Just enjoy your motorcycle and don't worry about things too much.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts