Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a leak from both the front and rear head. Top just under the removable fins. I have a terrible tapping when idling and know I am way over due for a valve adjustment. I'm wondering if anyone can help out out where I may be leaking and what may be involved in fixing it. And do you think bad valve clearance could have contributed. The leak is fairly slow. By the end of a week to and from work it's about half as bad as in the pictures. First picture is front jug with thr readiator removed. Second is rear jug from the left side. Thanks for your help all. Have a great day.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Rim

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle

·
Registered
271 Posts
Here is mine. But, mine is coming from the rear cylinder head cover. There is no gasket where the cylinder head cover mounts to the cylinder head. It has been like that for years and I never lose any noticeable oil , so I just leave it alone.
Yours looks like it is from where the cylinder meets the cylinder head. There is a gasket (part 6 in the link) in yours. When i looked into what was involved in fixing mine, I have to pull the engine. IDK if there would be shortcuts to fixing yours (which might just be the gasket replacement). I have never pulled the engine on my bike. Have you noticed how much oil you're losing in between changes? Probably not much (if anything). If there isn't much lost, i would leave it alone and just watch it. Unless, you have some other engine work that needs to be done. Maybe someone else can help you out better than I. Good luck

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its been a minute since I have been able to look a the X. Today I just pulled the plugs, and there is oil on the front left and Rear right plugs. its on the threads as well as above them. As seen in the picture I believe it is leaking out the spark plug drain holes. Does anyone have an idea where this could be leaking? Everything I am reading seems like the likely culprit is the valve cover gasket? Is it typical for both to go at a similar time? Is there any test I can do to figure it out before pulling the engine? This would be one of the bigger motorcycle repair undertakings I had done, but would love to try before running to a dealership or shop. I like to learn and its already broke so...what's the worse that could happen. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm not an expert or a mechanic. Hopefully someone more knowledgable will help you. But, first thing I would do is figure out how much oil I'm losing (by checking dipstick, not looking at the leak). You could have an internal issue with the oil on the sp threads. You probably need a leak down test done to see . Wouldnt hurt and it's simple.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not loosing a ton of oil, and only when I'm riding. I just don't like having a leak I don't know where it's coming from. As far as a leakdown test, would a compression test be adequate? I don't have either tools. I can rent a compression tester, but if it isn't desirable then I could purchase the leakdown tester from harbor freight. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
271 Posts
They are two totally different tests. I would do both. The compression test measures compression. Leak down will tell you where the problem is at with pressurized air (valves, rings, gasket blown, etc). They are easy and will tell you if there is a problem. I thought you would be able to rent both. Maybe try a different auto store. Or just purchase. Should be able to get one under$50. Hard to tell what the problem is from pictures. Hopefully it's not an internal issue but I would definitely be concerned if you have oil on the plugs. But, at least your not losing a lot of oil

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I found one for not to much. I'm waiting on some parts coming in. I think I might have bad o-rings on my spark plug sleeves. Gonna replace this then put the radiator back on to do some testing. Also gonna check valve clearance. Does anyone know if I need to drain the oil to remove the plug sleeves? I assume it's high enough on the engine without it running but unsure and done want a surprise when I remove them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts