Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen several postings about oil level going down every xyz miles and people adding more.

My bike I have never really had much of anything in airbox.
Check oil periodically and always filled full.
Car filter and rotella.

5000 miles (oops) between oil changes and still full.

All seems fine to me but after reading those other posts I'm curious.

Sorry for silly question but gotta ask. :)

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
it is RARE for a Honda to use oil .. most of the time it is the BRAND of OIL.. I know several brands of 5w30 and 10w30 that evaporate badly. and never use 0w20 in a bike. and this does not matter if DINO or synthetic.

and a few 10w40 as well.

an oil filter that went into "BYPASS" because of bypass valve failure or because it is full of junk. will greatly increase oil consumption.

2 years ago I was not able to get Mobil 1 synthetic for my wife's car... so I used the "P" brand of synthetic 10w30.. anyway 2,000 miles later she told me the oil light was on..
2 quarts low. changed the oil and filter. back to Mobil 1 and this problem has not returned.. I change her cars oil every 8,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
some motors also have blow by (pressure pass through the piston rings)...all depends on how the bike was broken in, this causes some oil over time to be pushed through the crank case breather into the air box. this is probably the most common reason of oil loss in our bikes, my opion at least. why i say this is, my first 1300 had no blow by at all...i moved my air breather hose down towards the rear of the bike and i never lost oil...changed oil at about 5k to 6k (used mobil 1 oil). when i got my second 1300, i automatically moved air breather hose down and forgot about it the whole thing....at my first oil change, i was missing close to 1/2 quart of oil (still using mobil 1).

after asking all sorts of questions, and doing compression tests, my 2nd bike is perfectly fine....just has a case of blow by. my oil breather was completely soaked with oil when i tried to see where the oil went. so basically i solved it by moving my crank case breather so that the filter on it at a higer elevation than the outlet and i now dont loose any oil.

my 2 cents.

·
Registered
12 Posts
some motors also have blow by (pressure pass through the piston rings)...all depends on how the bike was broken in, this causes some oil over time to be pushed through the crank case breather into the air box. this is probably the most common reason of oil loss in our bikes, my opion at least. why i say this is, my first 1300 had no blow by at all...i moved my air breather hose down towards the rear of the bike and i never lost oil...changed oil at about 5k to 6k (used mobil 1 oil). when i got my second 1300, i automatically moved air breather hose down and forgot about it the whole thing....at my first oil change, i was missing close to 1/2 quart of oil (still using mobil 1).

after asking all sorts of questions, and doing compression tests, my 2nd bike is perfectly fine....just has a case of blow by. my oil breather was completely soaked with oil when i tried to see where the oil went. so basically i solved it by moving my crank case breather so that the filter on it at a higer elevation than the outlet and i now dont loose any oil.

my 2 cents.
I have a spike on my bike which doesn't have a place for the crankcase hose, so i put a small crankcase filter on the hose and mounted the filter right below the idle adjustment. Now im getting oil out of that filter that seems to happen when im riding at highway speeds. Just wondering if changing the position of the crankcase hose will help my situation

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a spike on my bike which doesn't have a place for the crankcase hose, so i put a small crankcase filter on the hose and mounted the filter right below the idle adjustment. Now im getting oil out of that filter that seems to happen when im riding at highway speeds. Just wondering if changing the position of the crankcase hose will help my situation
By the way I did a compression test and it tested fine

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow I asked this long ago. For the record 7 years later it still has never had any oil come out the crankcase vent tube. I do check that too with the straw trick the hose is not kinky. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts