Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry for the newbie post but, do these bike have an overflow of some sort of you were do add to much oil? And if so where would it be located? I’m leaking oil behind my air box and I did recently change the oil. I’m not sure what could be wrong

thanks in advance

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,402 Posts
Should be IN your air box. That's where crankcase breather tube should be connected. Excess oil would be forced out there.

How much oil did you put in? Are you checking oil level with bike hot and held up vertical not on side stand?

·
Registered
23 Posts
My dumbass did it while on the kickstand View attachment 239264
You're not a dumbass, no one is born knowing all things mechanical. If you serviced to the full line on the dipstick with your bike on the side stand = Your bike will be low on oil off the side stand and held vertical (per the manual). If you have the owners manual or a shop manual read the procedure and become filled with wisdom. If no publications are available, start the bike, oil light goes out!, and allow it to run until the fan comes on = bike is warmed up. Now as IndyX and Silver F have stated, right the bike while seated on it, keep it balanced level, unscrew the dip stick wipe it off with clean rag, insert but do not screw it down, pull it out and read it, drain out or top up as necessary. If draining is necessary WAIT TILL BIKE IS CLOLD! Trust me, if you don't the oil will be so freaking hot you'll never get the drain plug back in, loosing all the oil, and getting some nice burns in the process.

·
Registered
16,353 Posts
You're not a dumbass, no one is born knowing all things mechanical. If you serviced to the full line on the dipstick with your bike on the side stand = Your bike will be low on oil off the side stand and held vertical (per the manual). If you have the owners manual or a shop manual read the procedure and become filled with wisdom. If no publications are available, start the bike, oil light goes out!, and allow it to run until the fan comes on = bike is warmed up. Now as IndyX and Silver F have stated, right the bike while seated on it, keep it balanced level, unscrew the dip stick wipe it off with clean rag, insert but do not screw it down, pull it out and read it, drain out or top up as necessary. If draining is necessary WAIT TILL BIKE IS CLOLD! Trust me, if you don't the oil will be so freaking hot you'll never get the drain plug back in, loosing all the oil, and getting some nice burns in the process.
In addition: While you fill to proper level with bike upright, note where on the stick it's full, and using a small mill file, score a line on the stick. Then in the future with the bike on the sidestand you will have the proper fill level.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts