Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any body that has seen my previous posts know that I love my bike. After not riding for a couple of decades I can honestly say I was behind the curve. When I started looking again I fell in love with the VTX 1800N. Everything about this bike just looks right. Well my wife bought it for me. It's original owner took good care of him for me, evidently knew I would be along eventually. Shortly after I started riding him in hot weather he would stall at stop lights on hotter days and low oil pressure light would come on. Bike had been serviced right before I bought it and the oil did look brand new but kind of thin. I never thought anything about it. I was just ready to get in the wind and ride. I got to doing some research and found that the recommended viscosity for the bigger twins was 20W50 in hotter climates. So needless to say that explained the lifter tap and stalling when it was hot. In my younger days when I did a lot of drag racing I stumbled upon Valvoline oil. I was having to re-ring and put new bearings in my car engine way more often then I should have been before switching to Valvoline. So it wasn't a far stretch for me to go to my trusted staple of oils. I put my Valvoline 20W50 four stroke motorcycle synthetic oil in. I just changed it at almost 4 thousand miles and it was dirty. For those who have never used Valvoline. The first thing it always seems to do is clean the engine. The engine had quieted substantially and even got cocky with it's new oil. So when you are looking. Even though most people promote AmsOil. And it is the original synthetic, Valvoline to me is every bit as good if not better. Valvoline has been making engine oil for 150 years. AmsOil has only been around since I believe 1954 was the original date.

·
Super Moderator
11,301 Posts
Make sure that any oil you use is NOT labeled as "energy conserving". Oils with this label contain certain ingredients that wreck havoc on the proper functioning of the clutch.

Reactions: nate6966

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Make sure that any oil you use is NOT labeled as "energy conserving". Oils with this label contain certain ingredients that wreck havoc on the proper functioning of the clutch.
I definitely did that. Valvoline even meets the JASO-MA2 standards for motorcycle engines and wet clutches. I do appreciate you guys looking out for VTX family members.

·
The Dude That Rides
2007 Honda VTX 1800N1
2,613 Posts
You may not knows this, going by what you wrote, but there is no 'lifter tap' on these bikes because there are no lifters. You have to adjust the valves manually as well. You have a different issue going on if your bike is stalling on you as well. If you have an air cooled V-twin, which we do not have, then 20W-50 is recommended in the heat. 10W-40 is a good oil for a VTX engine being liquid cooled, but you can use whatever you want to since it's your bike. Many of us on here use synthetic 10W-40 as a Honda motorcycle mechanic on this forum uses it. He worked on these bikes and knows these engines well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You may not knows this, going by what you wrote, but there is no 'lifter tap' on these bikes because there are no lifters. You have to adjust the valves manually as well. You have a different issue going on if your bike is stalling on you as well. If you have an air cooled V-twin, which we do not have, then 20W-50 is recommended in the heat. 10W-40 is a good oil for a VTX engine being liquid cooled, but you can use whatever you want to since it's your bike. Many of us on here use synthetic 10W-40 as a Honda motorcycle mechanic on this forum uses it. He worked on these bikes and knows these engines well.
You know I always appreciate your insight. You have had one of these far longer then myself. I changed the oil within a thousand miles after purchasing. The engine did in fact have a tapping coming from the front head. I had proof of where it really had been serviced at a Honda dealer in Arkansas. Don't remember the name of it. But after putting the first round of Valvoline in it the tapping quieted almost completely. I changed it at 3K miles, I know OMG you could have ran that for 10K miles without a problem. As I stated in my first post Valvoline cleans everything when you put it in. And at 3K miles it was filthy. So now bike is on it's second round with my favorite oil. The transmission shifts so easy where before it would have trouble going into 5Th. The engine makes absolutely no abnormal noise now. And the clutch even seems to have more bite. I went on a 150 mile ride Labor Day morning and my bike was like riding on my favorite chair. You could just tell he was way happier, which make me way happier. God Bless

·
The Dude That Rides
2007 Honda VTX 1800N1
2,613 Posts
You know I always appreciate your insight. You have had one of these far longer then myself. I changed the oil within a thousand miles after purchasing. The engine did in fact have a tapping coming from the front head. I had proof of where it really had been serviced at a Honda dealer in Arkansas. Don't remember the name of it. But after putting the first round of Valvoline in it the tapping quieted almost completely. I changed it at 3K miles, I know OMG you could have ran that for 10K miles without a problem. As I stated in my first post Valvoline cleans everything when you put it in. And at 3K miles it was filthy. So now bike is on it's second round with my favorite oil. The transmission shifts so easy where before it would have trouble going into 5Th. The engine makes absolutely no abnormal noise now. And the clutch even seems to have more bite. I went on a 150 mile ride Labor Day morning and my bike was like riding on my favorite chair. You could just tell he was way happier, which make me way happier. God Bless
Yeah, man. Sounds like you had crap oil in the engine. We gotta be careful what we use because of the wet clutch we have. Sounds like Valvoline did you a solid! Stick with what works for you, like we all do. There are so many debates over brand of this and that it ain't funny. The correct weight is more important. Talking about the dealer, when I bought mine from a dealer, 65 miles from home. the service manager tried to sell me the service contract thingie with the bike. I said, "didn't you tell me they adjusted the valves when 'they' were getting ready to sell it?" He said yeah. I said then explain why the covers that have to be removed to gain access to the adjustment screws still have a ton of dirt on them with NO evidence of them being removed??? He started tap dancing. I told him to stop and that I will not have anything I own serviced by people who lie about doing service. I bought two bikes from then over the years and buy parts and accessories, because they had the best deals, but they will not touch my bikes after the sale.

Reactions: PaXman11

·
The Dude That Rides
2007 Honda VTX 1800N1
2,613 Posts
Oh, one more thing: Do you still have the stock clutch and related parts in the bike? If so, you may notice the clutch slipping a bit here and there. Mine got so bad that at 100mph I could pin the throttle and the clutch would start slipping! F that! I heard, on this forum, that the stock clutch springs are the weak link in that and all we gotta do is change them to good ones. I decided to replace the whole thing: clutch discs and springs and steel plates in between the clutch discs. May as well since I was going to be talking it apart anyway. Night and Day difference!! Barnett racing parts is what I used and now NO SLIPPING! No what what throttle position I'm at when I let the clutch out it is in that gear. Period.. ~$150 on eBay IIRC. worth it. Just letting you know in case that is happening to you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, man. Sounds like you had crap oil in the engine. We gotta be careful what we use because of the wet clutch we have. Sounds like Valvoline did you a solid! Stick with what works for you, like we all do. There are so many debates over brand of this and that it ain't funny. The correct weight is more important. Talking about the dealer, when I bought mine from a dealer, 65 miles from home. the service manager tried to sell me the service contract thingie with the bike. I said, "didn't you tell me they adjusted the valves when 'they' were getting ready to sell it?" He said yeah. I said then explain why the covers that have to be removed to gain access to the adjustment screws still have a ton of dirt on them with NO evidence of them being removed??? He started tap dancing. I told him to stop and that I will not have anything I own serviced by people who lie about doing service. I bought two bikes from then over the years and buy parts and accessories, because they had the best deals, but they will not touch my bikes after the sale.
Yeah Valvoline has been good to me since I stumbled on it years ago. The only reason I am sure they serviced mine is they almost stripped the eyes out of the cover screws in mine. Not sure why they thought they needed a cheater bar to get them tight. But none the less it did show signs of service. And I can't stand people like the dealer you dealt with. I owned my own business for many years and never really advertised because we did first rate work. Went from a two person company in two years to a multi vehicle company in five. So I don't deal well with liars either. But hey brother, he has a good home now. Maybe someday he will get to meet Mufasa.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, one more thing: Do you still have the stock clutch and related parts in the bike? If so, you may notice the clutch slipping a bit here and there. Mine got so bad that at 100mph I could pin the throttle and the clutch would start slipping! F that! I heard, on this forum, that the stock clutch springs are the weak link in that and all we gotta do is change them to good ones. I decided to replace the whole thing: clutch discs and springs and steel plates in between the clutch discs. May as well since I was going to be talking it apart anyway. Night and Day difference!! Barnett racing parts is what I used and now NO SLIPPING! No what what throttle position I'm at when I let the clutch out it is in that gear. Period.. ~$150 on eBay IIRC. worth it. Just letting you know in case that is happening to you.
Yes, I believe mine still has the factory clutch in it. I have not changed it and I don't recall anything on the service orders I read about it being changed. That would explain the inconsistent clutching though. It seems to have a more responsive clutch now then before but I did notice that when it get warm it seems to lag a little. I wouldn't call it a slip but just real inconsistent. When I tear him down to rebuild the forks this winter I will do the clutch too. I am working on some things I will post on here when I get them done. I will let you in on it as they will only be available for the N series. I am having some cool decals made for the breather cover and am designing a trunk that more mirrors the back of these beautiful VTX N's.

·
The Dude That Rides
2007 Honda VTX 1800N1
2,613 Posts
Yes, I believe mine still has the factory clutch in it. I have not changed it and I don't recall anything on the service orders I read about it being changed. That would explain the inconsistent clutching though. It seems to have a more responsive clutch now then before but I did notice that when it get warm it seems to lag a little. I wouldn't call it a slip but just real inconsistent. When I tear him down to rebuild the forks this winter I will do the clutch too. I am working on some things I will post on here when I get them done. I will let you in on it as they will only be available for the N series. I am having some cool decals made for the breather cover and am designing a trunk that more mirrors the back of these beautiful VTX N's.
I cheaped out and bought a trunk on eBay. Not the best but it sure is nice having it. Here is a side shot of my bike. My air cleaner is exposed all the way around, too. No problem getting air in that mammoth engine.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I cheaped out and bought a trunk on eBay. Not the best but it sure is nice having it. Here is a side shot of my bike. My air cleaner is exposed all the way around, too. No problem getting air in that mammoth engine. View attachment 242634
Wow, it is uncanny how much he looks like Mufasa. Same trunk and fairing combination now. The only major difference is air cleaner, exhaust and my engine is blacked out He is gorgeous though. You will grow to hate that trunk. I did within a few weeks. The stupid thing rattles all the time.

·
The Dude That Rides
2007 Honda VTX 1800N1
2,613 Posts
Wow, it is uncanny how much he looks like Mufasa. Same trunk and fairing combination now. The only major difference is air cleaner, exhaust and my engine is blacked out He is gorgeous though. You will grow to hate that trunk. I did within a few weeks. The stupid thing rattles all the time.
I 'fixed' the rattle by taking a towel and running it along the edge of the bottom section so that when I close the lid it gives it some resistance. Plus my amp is loud enough to drown it out haha

·
The Dude That Rides
2007 Honda VTX 1800N1
2,613 Posts
I also have the Cobra PowerPro black fuel controller that works great! With the other engine mods, she really has the power now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I 'fixed' the rattle by taking a towel and running it along the edge of the bottom section so that when I close the lid it gives it some resistance. Plus my amp is loud enough to drown it out haha
The trunk I have designed wont have that issue. The prototype I am building is out of carbon fiber. But the ones I will be offering are probably going to fiberglass. I have a company called MFG down the road that will make them for me.

·
The Dude That Rides
2007 Honda VTX 1800N1
2,613 Posts
Excellent! Fiberglass is the way to go. Are you going to be offering these to be sold to the public? Maybe a bit of a discount to those who helped make it a reality?? (HINT-HINT) :cool:

Reactions: New VTX owner

·
The Dude That Rides
2007 Honda VTX 1800N1
2,613 Posts
BTW, my bike, AKA The Beast, is a 'she'. I like the idea of riding a 'she' over a 'he'.

·
The Dude That Rides
2007 Honda VTX 1800N1
2,613 Posts
I need bigger saddlebags. The current ones look like something a girly-man would use and that is not an accurate description of me!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BTW, my bike, AKA The Beast, is a 'she'. I like the idea of riding a 'she' over a 'he'.
Well can't blame you there. Maybe she don't want to meet Mufasa then. He already make bikes shutter. LOL

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
RJ64,
Here is something you can relate too. I posted I went for a ride on Labor Day morning. Well I got behind some of the ID10Ts we have here in the flat lands that like to do 40 to 70. After about a mile of that I had enough. And as you well know our bikes make plenty of power to pass a string of traffic. So I rolled out on the throttle and let Mufasa growl. Last I looked down I was at 125. Thought paying attention what was a head of me might be important by that point. Got around the string and let off the throttle to come back out of warp speed. Rode on home and enjoyed the rest of my ride. When I let off. You guessed it I was right around 140ish. Well this morning was another beautiful day to ride to work. Cruised at our normal 75-80 nothing special. I was just about two miles from work and something hit me in the chest slid down and got wedged in my belt. So I pulled over a bit perplexed as to what had just transpired. Then quickly realized is was the bottom wing of my fairing that sets just below the throttle and above the turn signal. The first person I thought of was you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I need bigger saddlebags. The current ones look like something a girly-man would use and that is not an accurate description of me!
They do kind of look like purses on that big old bike.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts