Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have searched through the forums, but could find a suitable answer to troubleshoot this issue. I have a 2004 VTX 1300s with around 8k miles on it.

My oil pressure light came on recently, so I checked my oil and it was about 1 quart low (warm engine, level bike, dipstick pressed but not screwed in). I didn't have any oil spots where it was parked, but didn't worry too much about it. When I went to buy a quart of oil, an old-timer said that VTXs are notorious for burning oil and to always keep a quart on hand. I thought that was interesting with newer bikes, but whatever.

So, I added oil to the correct level and went for a test drive. The oil light stayed on the entire time, but I figured it just may take a while to re-orient. However, it will not go out now, so I am concerned I have a more significant issue.

Could this just be a sensor malfunction which is why the light is staying on? If the light is really a pressure sensor versus a level sensor, then what could be causing a low (or I guess possibly high) pressure situation? Not sure where to start, please help.

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
Download the manual from the 1300 section.

Next up is to go to the sensor and make sure the wiring is still connected, I think it also tells how to check the sensor.

Some of the 1300s use a little oil and some don't all depends on how easy they were broke in (easy break in more oil use).

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
As Charlie said - download the service manual from the stickies and go through the troubleshooting instructions. Second choice - buy a new oil pressure sensor and replace the old one. I suspect it is just a loose wire or bad sensor - if it hasn't locked up by now you are probably OK - but fix it.

BTW - my 1300 burns NO oil between 3000 mi oil changes.

·
Registered
456 Posts
As Charlie said - download the service manual from the stickies and go through the troubleshooting instructions. Second choice - buy a new oil pressure sensor and replace the old one. I suspect it is just a loose wire or bad sensor - if it hasn't locked up by now you are probably OK - but fix it.

BTW - my 1300 burns NO oil between 3000 mi oil changes.
BTW - my 1300 burns NO oil between 5000 mi oil changes.
Not since day one w/0 miles and now w/30,000 miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the help. Will follow the advice and let you know how it turns out for future reference.

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
Thanks all for the help. Will follow the advice and let you know how it turns out for future reference.
Tell us about any mods such as air box and pipes, maybe I can help on the oil use.

My bike used oil for awhile then I made some changes and it stopped most of it.
Might use 1/4 cup in 3000 miles now vers a quart before I made the changes.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
years ago most honda riders in my area used 20w50 oil and changed pretty fast, maybe every 1000 miles. I'm talking bikes like 450's 550s, 750s, 900s and the first 1000cc gold wings in 1974 or 75, dont quite remember which year. My point being, most x riders probably use a good synthetic oil 10-40w, i use amsoil motorcycle oil of that weight myself. Honda recommends changing oil every
8000 miles. It's probable that the X engines will use some oil in between changes.
Good Riding!
Bry :patriot:

·
Registered
706 Posts
As Charlie mentioned the break in must be done properly so that the rings seat correctly. Charlie is also right on the money with the the sensor. You need to determine why you were a Qt. low. You would see smoke and have crud on your plugs if you are buring that much oil and find a puddle if you are leaking it. A quart between changes is not the norm (I'm an old man too and have been in a Honda saddle since "64").

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
First the old timer is blowing smoke and what he said is absolutely false. I have been on two VTX board's since 2004 and I read 99.9 of the posts in both boards and I have never, never heard of any bikes burning oil.
Yes there has been some that have blown oil out of the seal out behind the shift lever because of a crank case vent being pinched behind the air box.

Now I'd go with Charlie above that the problem you are having with is going to be ether a bad sensor or a disconnected sensor.

Donut/Doug:patriot:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tell us about any mods such as air box and pipes, maybe I can help on the oil use.

My bike used oil for awhile then I made some changes and it stopped most of it.
Might use 1/4 cup in 3000 miles now vers a quart before I made the changes.
I inherited most of the modifications on this bike, so I have been researching most of the mods. It has Custom Morton sweeper pipes with power cones and a Küryakyn Pro-R Hypercharger. He said that he rejetted the bike correctly, and it does backfire sometimes. I have added pics...really like the bike and look forward to many good years with it.

OK, I found the problem related to the oil pressure sensor. The wires got crimped when I put on my hi-way pegs. The funny thing was that the wire looked like it was all connected until I started pulling it away from the bike. So, good news there (I guess). Will continue to monitor the oil situation as I have only put around 300 miles on the bike since I got it and 1 oil change.

Once again, thanks everyone, this forum rocks.

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
from the pics you are running a tad lean, now this could be from his use of the supplied jet kit for the hyper which is garbage.

If the crankcase vent line is going into the hyper you may want to run a new line down under the bike and not having the box suck on the line.

Good to here you found the sending unit problem and a wire is a easy fix.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
from the pics you are running a tad lean, now this could be from his use of the supplied jet kit for the hyper which is garbage.

If the crankcase vent line is going into the hyper you may want to run a new line down under the bike and not having the box suck on the line.

Good to here you found the sending unit problem and a wire is a easy fix.
Not sure if he used the supplied jet kit or not. He did say that the vent line got disconnected for a brief time and that caused the bike to run lean and blue the pipes. I will look into re-routing this line.

The best news about the oil pressure light is that it isn't an oil pressure issue, which is what I was most worried about. However, I may have never found the issue myself without the help from this forum.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts