Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Grand Exhalted Pohbah
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know anything about Lucus oil products oil stabilizer? Is it safe to use in a '06 1800T? The demo I saw of this product was somewhat impressive and I thought if it doesn't create any issues I would use it in my next oil change. It is suppossed to increase oil life by 50%.

Oh by the way, the weather here has been beautiful for the past couple of weekends. Looking forward to more great days to get on the road.:rolleyes:

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
the engine of the VTX is shared with the transmission and clutch pack. To many friction modifiers could cause the clutch to slip
NEVER add anything to engine oil, EVER. Think of it this way, if the additive was soooo good, the oil company would have added it to their oil and charged you more for it in the first place.

·
Let's Get Ready To Rumble
5,240 Posts
Waste of money for anyone who is conscientious about their maintenance.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Lucas oil stabilizer is a Group I solvent-refined mineral oil with virtually no additives. You would basically be adding a straight mineral oil in the Group I category - when you're using a Group III motor oil? It's like going backwards. Seriously. What you end up with - is diluting the ratio of additives in the rest of the oil.

·
Relocation Engineer
1,520 Posts
Oil additives are a waist of money.... IMHO

A quality oil, or better yet a synthetic oil has everything you need.

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
the engine of the VTX is shared with the transmission and clutch pack. To many friction modifiers could cause the clutch to slip
NEVER add anything to engine oil, EVER. Think of it this way, if the additive was soooo good, the oil company would have added it to their oil and charged you more for it in the first place.
:cheers: My thoughts exactly, regular oil changes will do more for extending the life of an engine than any "additive" you can buy.

·
Anything with two wheels
478 Posts
Gotta agree, regular and on-time oil changes are the best thing you can do for your motor, tranny and clutch!

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Switch to a synthetic and you can get 8k between changes.

·
Grand Exhalted Pohbah
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all of the input to my question. You guys can always be counted on to set a brother straight.

Thanks again.

ride safe everyone. it's spring and the loons are out.

·
Favorite Bike - V65 Magna
1,437 Posts
Thanks for all of the input to my question. You guys can always be counted on to set a brother straight.

Thanks again.

ride safe everyone. it's spring and the loons are out.
The loons are always out. All weather conditions. Any time of day. Anywhere. And most of them are talking or texting on their cell phones.

Geezer

·
Registered
4 Posts
So i already added the stabilizer as a friend of mine recommended it highly. Should i drain and replace my oil? Will i need to flush it out? Or just let it ride?

·
WTF, Over!
8,443 Posts
So i already added the stabilizer as a friend of mine recommended it highly. Should i drain and replace my oil? Will i need to flush it out? Or just let it ride?
Did your clutch start slipping? If yes, change it immediately, and you MIGHT have to change out the clutch pak's friction plates as well (not the steels, just the friction plates).
I concur with those who say just use quality oils, and synthetic at that. A lot of synthetics say they are good for 10K miles, I still change mine a bit ewarly, usually, some where between 6K-7K miles.

Oil is the life's blood of the engine and transmission. Any additive to it is merely snake oil. Modern engine oils are head and shoulders above the stuff we had back in the 60's and 70's. They need nothing.

Reactions: IndyX

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
8,216 Posts
Send your oil out for testing and you can find out how much protection it still has left in it. The only real difference in oil beyond the spec on the bottle is the additives that vary slightly brand to brand.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts