Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

How do you deal with bad drivers? Tailgating?

• Throw pennies behind your head until you break something.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wait until a light, and yell at them, curse, threaten, spit

• Carry a sharp object with you and key / slash / bang / smash there car.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am constantly getting tailgated and dealing with idiots on the phone trying to speed and swerve in 5 O'Clock traffic. People are getting feet from my rear and cutting me off, etc, etc.

How do you deal with these drivers?

I know this is normal, people in cars dont consider bikers, or the laws of the road for that matter. But I feel like I have to do something...

Im on the brink of going Vigilante on the next person to screw with me...:banghead:

·
WTF, Over!
8,338 Posts
Generally, I ride very carefully, although not slowly, and make sure I am well away from the idiots. If they seem like they are using me to break thru traffic, I'll pull over for a bit and let all the idiots go for a while, then get back on the road myself, and roll.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I feel like they tailgate me and get just a few feet from me as if it gets them somewhere quicker. I usually flash my break lights and until they back off. but some of em dont get it... as soon as i let off the break they start tailgating again.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you have a tank bag carry some small marshmellows, doesn't here the windshield and they get the point, just don't let a LEO see it. I ride the back roads home from work and some of these people think the roads are nascar tracks (always take their's and my share of the middle espesially in corners).

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
I'm on VTX 1800 so usually I just roll on the throttle a little bit and in about 2 seconds that tailgater is just a speck in my mirror.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Every situation is different. We lane split out here and some don't like it. This is from the drivers hand book,

MOTORCYCLES

Motorcyclists have the same rights and responsibilities as automobile drivers. While everyone must follow the same traffic laws, motorcyclists face unusual dangers because motorcycles require exceptional handling ability and are harder to see. Therefore, many motorcycles keep their headlight on even during daylight hours.
From ahead or behind, a motorcycle’s outline is much smaller than a passenger vehicle’s and most drivers are expecting to see larger vehicles on the road and are not looking for motorcycles.
Motorcyclists can do many things to make it easier for others to recognize them and increase their chances of being seen.
  • Wear a bright colored jacket, vest and a helmet.
  • Wear reflective material on their helmet and clothes.
  • Use turn signals anytime they plan to change lanes or turn.
  • Flashing their brake light before they slow down to help others notice them.
Follow these rules to respect the right-of-way and safely share the road with motorcyclists:
  • When you change lanes or enter a major thoroughfare, make a visual check for motorcycles. Also use your mirrors. Motorcycles are small, and they can easily disappear into a vehicle’s blind spots.
  • Allow a four-second following distance. You will need this space to avoid hitting the motorcyclist if he or she brakes suddenly or falls. Motorcycles generally can stop faster than passenger vehicles.
  • Allow the motorcycle a full lane width. Although it is not illegal to share lanes with motorcycles, it is unsafe.
  • Never try to pass a motorcycle in the same lane you are sharing with the motorcycle.
  • When you make a turn, check for motorcyclists and gauge their speed before turning.
  • Look carefully for motorcyclists before opening doors next to moving traffic or before turning right.
  • Motorcycles may travel faster than traffic during congested road conditions and can legally travel in the unused space between two lines of moving or stationary vehicles, which is commonly called “lane splitting.”
  • Remember that road conditions which are minor annoyances to you pose major hazards to motorcyclists. Potholes, gravel, wet or slippery surfaces, pavement seams, railroad crossings, and grooved pavement can cause motorcyclists to change speed or direction suddenly. If you are aware of the effect of these conditions and drive with care and attention, you can help reduce motorcyclist injuries and fatalities. For more information regarding motorcycle safety, contact the California Motorcyclist Safety Program at 1-877-RIDE-411 or www.ca-msp.org
I have "removed" the mirror from more than one car out on the road, if you see a mirror hanging on the right side out here they probley p*ssed a bike off. But I only do it to the one that know what they are doing and are having "fun" holding a bike up. To remove a mirror apply a short forcefull aplication of exstream pressure to the top in a downward motion fallowed by the raising of the longest finger on the hand to show how fun it is to do. I have also gone around the other side of them pulled in frount of them(were talking 1-2mph traffic) stopped and placed the bike on the stand and just sat there not moving at all, the horn blowing does nothing for me cause I use earplugs all the time now. As far as tailgaiters I drop my speed and look at them in the mirror. If they are still there at the next light I stop short of were I should and turn to look right at them. I'm realy a nice guy most of the time I just got a short fuse when it comes to jurks on the road.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I'll tap the brakes to try and back them off a bit. That's just a short term solution. If there is room to let them go by, I let them. Otherwise, I make sure I have plenty of space in front of me (2 sec rule goes to 3 or 4) so that if I have to stop, it is not too abrupt and the guy behind me can slow down without hitting me.

·
apacolypse survivor!
4,517 Posts
wow i guess I am a bad biker, I used to carry a handful of heavy washers in my jacket to toss over my shoulder. one time I kicked in the passenger door of a car as they tried to change lanes right on top of me. usually I just try to get out of the way. getting a little older has changed how I deal with things.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Every situation is different. We lane split out here and some don't like it. This is from the drivers hand book,

MOTORCYCLES

Motorcyclists have the same rights and responsibilities as automobile drivers. While everyone must follow the same traffic laws, motorcyclists face unusual dangers because motorcycles require exceptional handling ability and are harder to see. Therefore, many motorcycles keep their headlight on even during daylight hours.
From ahead or behind, a motorcycle’s outline is much smaller than a passenger vehicle’s and most drivers are expecting to see larger vehicles on the road and are not looking for motorcycles.
Motorcyclists can do many things to make it easier for others to recognize them and increase their chances of being seen.
  • Wear a bright colored jacket, vest and a helmet.
  • Wear reflective material on their helmet and clothes.
  • Use turn signals anytime they plan to change lanes or turn.
  • Flashing their brake light before they slow down to help others notice them.
Follow these rules to respect the right-of-way and safely share the road with motorcyclists:
  • When you change lanes or enter a major thoroughfare, make a visual check for motorcycles. Also use your mirrors. Motorcycles are small, and they can easily disappear into a vehicle’s blind spots.
  • Allow a four-second following distance. You will need this space to avoid hitting the motorcyclist if he or she brakes suddenly or falls. Motorcycles generally can stop faster than passenger vehicles.
  • Allow the motorcycle a full lane width. Although it is not illegal to share lanes with motorcycles, it is unsafe.
  • Never try to pass a motorcycle in the same lane you are sharing with the motorcycle.
  • When you make a turn, check for motorcyclists and gauge their speed before turning.
  • Look carefully for motorcyclists before opening doors next to moving traffic or before turning right.
  • Motorcycles may travel faster than traffic during congested road conditions and can legally travel in the unused space between two lines of moving or stationary vehicles, which is commonly called “lane splitting.”
  • Remember that road conditions which are minor annoyances to you pose major hazards to motorcyclists. Potholes, gravel, wet or slippery surfaces, pavement seams, railroad crossings, and grooved pavement can cause motorcyclists to change speed or direction suddenly. If you are aware of the effect of these conditions and drive with care and attention, you can help reduce motorcyclist injuries and fatalities. For more information regarding motorcycle safety, contact the California Motorcyclist Safety Program at 1-877-RIDE-411 or www.ca-msp.org
I have "removed" the mirror from more than one car out on the road, if you see a mirror hanging on the right side out here they probley p*ssed a bike off. But I only do it to the one that know what they are doing and are having "fun" holding a bike up. To remove a mirror apply a short forcefull aplication of exstream pressure to the top in a downward motion fallowed by the raising of the longest finger on the hand to show how fun it is to do. I have also gone around the other side of them pulled in frount of them(were talking 1-2mph traffic) stopped and placed the bike on the stand and just sat there not moving at all, the horn blowing does nothing for me cause I use earplugs all the time now. As far as tailgaiters I drop my speed and look at them in the mirror. If they are still there at the next light I stop short of were I should and turn to look right at them. I'm realy a nice guy most of the time I just got a short fuse when it comes to jurks on the road.
+1!!! We cant lane split here, I like how you handled the tailgaters. I haven't gotten mad enough to rip off a mirror yet but the write up was great. :cheers:

wow i guess I am a bad biker, I used to carry a handful of heavy washers in my jacket to toss over my shoulder. one time I kicked in the passenger door of a car as they tried to change lanes right on top of me. usually I just try to get out of the way. getting a little older has changed how I deal with things.
I have yet to have to kick in a door but i have seen it, actually recorded the whole aftermath of the biker stopping in traffic and and practically drop-kicking the car. Washers sounds like a better idea then pennies. The finger isnt getting the point across

·
Erect Member
11,583 Posts
easier to just let them pass...that way if there are any officers ahead "looking for someone", that will give you someone to point and beep your horn at as you ride by them :icon_mrha

·
Keep er safe!! Joe
299 Posts
I just pull over when I can. Normally this only happens to me when there is a slow moving cage ahead of me and I cannot pass. This is when things can get dicy because if I leave plenty of space between me and the cage ahead of me then that only encourages the tail gating jurk behind me to try and pass then squeeze inbetween me and the rig in front. Now that's when I get pissed.

Generally though I have few problems with tail gaters.
:choppersm
Joe

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
easier to just let them pass...that way if there are any officers ahead "looking for someone", that will give you someone to point and beep your horn at as you ride by them :icon_mrha
I did that!!! The cop shrugged and did nothing... The guy was speeding, changed lanes in a intersection, cut me off, didnt use a turn signal... And the officer shrugged.... I wanted the throw a penny at him!

And there always on a cell phone, I swear one day Im gonna just reach in there window, take the phone, smash it, and hand them a driving manual.

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
I wiil pull over, speed up, turn right and go around a block, whatever it requires to get out of harms way. I used to carry bearing but now they carry guns, bearing lose. Road rage is running wild and my 800lbs of metal with me on the outside against 3-4,000 lbs of metal with them inside isn't someting I care to experience. You may get pissed but there no sense in getting hurt or worse to prove a point. Like they say Live to ride and RIDE to live.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
1st i'll just swerve back and forth in my lane,if they don't back off i'll get out of there way as soon as i can.to old to mess with their stupidity

·
Registered
882 Posts
The differance is here in Califoria we have more cars on the road at 5pm in the LA. area than most full states have all day. I will have to run my camara next week while I'm going home from down here to the other house, thats a 2.5 hour ride with about half of it splitting lanes. Some will love it some will just cr*p their shorts.

·
IBA #37750
1,813 Posts
Generally, I ride very carefully, although not slowly, and make sure I am well away from the idiots. If they seem like they are using me to break thru traffic, I'll pull over for a bit and let all the idiots go for a while, then get back on the road myself, and roll.

+1 Ditto

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
When I first started riding a few years ago, I'd run the gambit of hitting the brakes lightly several times to flipping them off. Now if I can't gun it and get out of the way, I'll just change lanes and let them by. Illinois isn't a conceal n carry state but 4 out of 10 drivers here are armed. I'd really hate to get shot for doing something stupid. That would definately bum my ride.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 60 Posts