Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Chap Dawg
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading tons of posts on the pros and cons, the pros win. I picked up a couple titanium drill bits and plan to do the Clayton mod over the next few days - the bike is just too quiet and it will be a while before I can afford new pipes or a rework. I got the 15/32 size "just in case".

·
Gator for life
4,116 Posts
You will love it, trust me. And if you have the longer bits, around 18" you can hit the inner baffle for a few holes and make the sound even deeper. I hit it with 2 holes in each pipe, after doing 7 in each on the shallow resonator plate.

This is what I was told in the beginning. DRILL BABY DRILL. LOL I used 7/16, so what you got will be fine.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
i bet lots of vtx owners drilled and drilled shortly after they got their bike. I know i sure did. It helps the sound a lot and makes it manageable until you get some custom exhaust. I lasted almost a year with the clayton mod. It's a help! :mosh: good luck, Bry

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
On a C you don't have to go deep to hit the cap on the baffle, it's right behind the back plate at the 6 O'clock position. On mine I only drilled two 7/8" holes at 6 & 12 O'clock and it's just as loud if not louder than others with 6 or 7 small holes, so you do have some options.
(I like it so much I'm going on 4-1/2 years now with no plans to ever buy new pipes :D)

This picture shows the internals, aim for where the #3 is pointed to hit the end cap

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
Good choice on bits if you don't like the sound after drilling one to many holes you can use a self tapping bolt to seal it back up.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Same bit I used for mine. I really liked the sound for the first couple of months and then wanted it louder. Found a good deal on pipes on ebay and bought them. Now I want them louder (been a year) and I'm thinking of removing the baffles. Some of us are never satisified.

·
Gator for life
4,116 Posts
On a C you don't have to go deep to hit the cap on the baffle, it's right behind the back plate at the 6 O'clock position. On mine I only drilled two 7/8" holes at 6 & 12 O'clock and it's just as loud if not louder than others with 6 or 7 small holes, so you do have some options.
(I like it so much I'm going on 4-1/2 years now with no plans to ever buy new pipes :D)

This picture shows the internals, aim for where the #3 is pointed to hit the end cap

Same position on my S. I forgot to mention the six oclock hole and the cap behind it. Still got mine to go deeper sound by going deep with 2 more holes.

·
Chap Dawg
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The deed is done!

Thanks for the encouragement folks! I did it! Started out with four shallow holes at 12, , 3, 6, and 9 o'clock and took it for a ride. Nice louder, but definitely needed more low, so I circled my wagons and drilled the 6:00 through the baffle. Doug is right - no need for a long bit on the 2006 1300c - the baffle was about 2" back. Started it back up, loved the low, then went one step further and drilled holes at 7 and 5 to round it out. Absolutely LOVE the new sound.

I'm with you, Woody! DRILL BABY DRILL!! :mosh::choppersm

·
Chap Dawg
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Additional Benefit of Clayton Mod...but...

Now that I've done the Clayton my gas mileage has gone from 42 to 45 MPG! Yippee! However, I do believe what I did to the exhaust is illegal in Washington State:

RCW 46.37.537

Motorcycles — Exhaust system.

"No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motorcycle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the engine of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and it shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motorcycle not equipped as required by this section, or which has been amplified as prohibited by this section."

Well, as far as I'm concerned, SCREW THAT!
:icon_piss :icon_bs:

·
I ride my own.
667 Posts
You will love it, trust me. And if you have the longer bits, around 18" you can hit the inner baffle for a few holes and make the sound even deeper. I hit it with 2 holes in each pipe, after doing 7 in each on the shallow resonator plate.

This is what I was told in the beginning. DRILL BABY DRILL. LOL I used 7/16, so what you got will be fine.
That's what the previous owner of my VTX did/used. I LOVE IT!

:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts