Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have an opinion after using Craftsman Red Motorcycle lift? Reliable? Smooth? Tricks of the trade? Santa Claus brought me one, but it's too cold to test!:coffee:

·
Registered
42 Posts
no reviews on the red one, outside of what i read on the Sears site when i was looking at them. My Bride opted to get me the Yellow /Aluminum one being its lighter. And even that one has been good. I check it 2-3 times a week and its holding pressure quite fine. Happy New Year and many miles of Safe riding in 2010! :eek:)

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Anyone have an opinion after using Craftsman Red Motorcycle lift? Reliable? Smooth? Tricks of the trade? Santa Claus brought me one, but it's too cold to test!:coffee:
I have it...It's a good lift but you need two people to get her up on it until you get comfortable pulling the bike up a little yourself because clearance in an issue...it goes most of the way in but not all...I can do it by myself now but I suggest 2 to start off with...other that that it is a really good lift and it comes down nice and smooth...

Joe

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I use the red one and +1 on what matejj said. I'm pretty strong and comfortable moving mine around, but if you aren't comfortable moving your bike by yourself, have a GOOD FRIEND help out the first couple of times. Also, she will come down fast, so use a light touch when you let it down.

·
USAF Ret Security Police
520 Posts
It is a good lift. Just get yourself a 2x6 or 2x8 and cut 3 pieces one for each tire and one for the side stand. Cut an angle on the ones for the tires and ride it up on them then the lift will slide right under. Either pull it straight up and lift with the jack or lean bike on stand and as the jack raises it will stand up for you. Works like a breeze.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
+1 on what everyone already said. I use the ole 2x4 for the kick-stand and it's just enuff to let the jack clear the low (kick-stand) side of the bike as it leans. It goes up easy but as mentioned, comes down quite fast so beware.
2 peeps would be the safest, of course, but it can be done by one. Then, when you strap yer ride solid to the jack, you may even be able to push it around a bit by yourself. I haven't yet as it is still in my small shed.
All in all, the red Craftsman jack was a good deal for the buck. Don't forget to use the locking bar and lower the jack down until all the pressure is on the welded tabs. :cheers:

K

·
Registered
989 Posts
I got the red jack and I too can confirm what others have typed about it, with the exception of the jack coming down fast. My comes down nice and smooth.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
i wanted to buy the red one - but was told, that our x is too low for that jack and they recommended the yellow aluminium one.
i bought that and it is great!
fit under the x with 1 inch to spare!
is very stable and so light, i can carry it from my basement out on the street without any help.
and it has some security features, that the bike does not drop down eccidental when relieving the valve.

negative: is more expensive

ride safe
harry

·
Liberal Peace-Lover
1,064 Posts
I love my Craftsman red jack. I've had it 2 months now and used it frequently for everything from shock bushings to electrical work to washing it- it lowers into the locking positions easily and makes it very easy to work on the bike, as well as to move it around the garage.

I have a piece of landscape timber that I use under the kickstand to get the jack under it. Once you start jacking up the bike, the frame evens out onto the jack platform with no issue. To set it back down, lower it most of the way, get the timber back into place, and lower the jack down. The landscape timber is 2.5" tall and so takes about 1/2 the lean out of the bike. It's easy enough to pick the bike up 2/3 off of lean, kick the timber under, and let her back down- learning to balance the bike like this is good practice. Doesn't hurt that I'm half it's wet weight so I can muscle her around fairly easy. :D

For oil changes, I lower her down onto a pair of automotive-style tire ramps and the landscape timber resting on a cinder block under the kickstand. I'll take a picture next time- it's very stable and I'm okay with doing it solo at this point. I am not comfortable riding her onto the ramps- using the jack is safer IMO.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Well, yea, it didnt move. There isnt that much weight on the jack itself. I bet it you put some of your weight on the jack, it would have made a difference.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
The craftsman red jack is low cost. The hydraulics may start to loose pressure through time and there is no replacement cylinder due to the way it is made. As they get used (older) they will start to have slack in the hinges, sloppy feeling. There are several that will cost about the same. Many have discarded theirs. My leaked down, not holding pressure, I bleed the cylinder and it started holding again. When I have my bike on a stand-jack, I want it stable. I use my jack to get it on my stand which is solid as a rock. It is made for the VTX motorcycle.

just my thoughts

dd

·
Registered
2 Posts
The craftsman red jack is low cost. The hydraulics may start to loose pressure through time and there is no replacement cylinder due to the way it is made. As they get used (older) they will start to have slack in the hinges, sloppy feeling. There are several that will cost about the same. Many have discarded theirs. My leaked down, not holding pressure, I bleed the cylinder and it started holding again. When I have my bike on a stand-jack, I want it stable. I use my jack to get it on my stand which is solid as a rock. It is made for the VTX motorcycle.

just my thoughts

dd
Thanks dirtdobber, I'll do a little more looking.:coffee:

·
Biker Doc (to be)
94 Posts
Mine is currently stuck up. We moved in July, and while helping me lift it into my truck, the wife picked it up by the lift bars and it popped up. It will not go down now. I've even had my wife hold down the release lever while I jump on it... I'm guessing air in the cylinder? Any tips on getting it to work again? If it's a gonner, I'm gonna go with Craftsman again but get the yellow one. This one worked great until the moving accident. I'd had it for about 2 years and had no problems with it. It held my X for about 6 weeks without the slightest problem during my last round of winter mods.

·
Premium Member
3,915 Posts
I bought the red one first, because it was cheaper. Although many here are happy with theirs, mine started leaking hydralic fluid the 2nd time I used it. Took it back and paid the extra $ for the yellow one. No problems with it. Has the added bonus of adequate clearance.

·
Seasoned Member
876 Posts
I have had the red one for three years, I have an 1800 and have had no issue with clearence, the only thing is you have to hold the bike off the stand and straight,next time I will try the landscape timber mod.,,,,,,,,,,My son used it once to change the tire on his car............(dumbass kid)
Coopi

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have the red one as well, mine started leaking the 2nd time I used it. I found that the paint had come off the pump piston and got under the seal. I removed the rest of the paint and have never had a problem since. Ride safe!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts