Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just bought used hardbags and a trunk for my 05 1800C (red with the tribal flames)that I just bought last summer. I'm trying to match the factory paint(nice job by the factory by the way and besides I can't afford to paint the whole bike just cause of bags). I know the color code from colorrite.com.
My questions are...
What color is the base coat? silver or gold?
How many coats of each base?
color?
clear?
and finally I would like to duplicate the tribal flame decals using paint(being they are about 60ish US$ each-ouch).
They seem to have a little purplish color in them not straight black.
What color are they?
Thanks all that can help.
Cheers,Al

·
Registered
801 Posts
Islander -

The "metallic" paint on the VTX is a 3-stage paint. Primer (doesn't count), (1) base coat, (2) color coat, and (3) clear coat. When you purchase the "kit" from ColorRite, it has everything that you need in the kit. You're correct - it is pricey. However, price a single color paint from HOC or PPG. Try $300/qt and up. A friend just had his bike painted an a single quart of a "new" House of Color ran him nearly $950.

Base coat, depending upon actual end-color, may be gold, silver, white, gray and on occasion black. Most of the metallic flake is mixed in with the color coat. How "deep" the color will be determined by the number of color coats that you apply. The clear coat may/may not have additional metal flake in the first clear. Usually 2-3 clear coats are required with 2000-2400 grit wet sanding in between the 1st and 2nd clear coats

1 - 2 of 2 Posts