Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
SPyKERMods.com Owner
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The North American Tar Snake (Posteriorus Puckerus) originated in the northern climates of the United states and has migrated to all corners of the country.

It's breeding grounds are on warm asphalt surfaces. The Tar Snake can range in size from a mere few millimeters to several kilometers. Like the American Bulldog, they are no longer able to breed with out the help of humans, where government funding usually pays for the species' growth.

The skin of the Tar Snake is soft in warm environments, and is very durable, being able to sustain continuous impacts by motor vehicle tires. The skin, when wet, also can become very smooth and hazardous to linear-wheeled vehicles.

While considered a pest to many motorcyclists, the Tar snake is here to stay, and requires constant monitoring. The bite of the North American Tar Snake is often non-fatal, but may require a change of under garments. The use of appropriate safety apparel will often allow those attacked to escape with nothing more than a red face.

·
citement
2,236 Posts
I'm thinking that Marlin Perkins did an episode on Wild Kingdom about the tar snake a few moons ago.

·
SILVER BULLET
264 Posts
The bite of the North American Tar Snake is often non-fatal, but may require a change of under garments. The use of appropriate safety apparel will often allow those attacked to escape with nothing more than a red face.
LOL so true, there is one right up at the 4 corners wher i live, When you take that corner that Tar snake is the same radius as the way you lean into it to make the turn. Deff. will suprise you at 4:30 am. lol still laughing this thread

·
The Wanderer
6,665 Posts
I hit a few this weekend in the twisties and it really scared the crap out I really started watchin for them again now that the temps are getting back up there.

·
Gecko?
5,411 Posts
A very busy road on my way to work is basically one huge tar snake. I learned it quite fast when trying to make a quick lane change on my 1300C and the front tire took a nice dip. :icon_eek:

They don't seem to have as much of an effect with the wider front tire on the 1800N, but this road is just horrible when it's hot and sunny. :banghead:

·
Premium Member
2,476 Posts
Maybe as Beefy said the bigger tires on the N handle them better, but I can't remember ever having a problem with tar snakes. Or maybe I've just been lucky.

Ride Safe:choppersm

·
SPyKERMods.com Owner
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe as Beefy said the bigger tires on the N handle them better, but I can't remember ever having a problem with tar snakes. Or maybe I've just been lucky.

Ride Safe:choppersm
I think it's the location: Everything is slippery in Texas! :D

Plus the dust and dirt blowing around gives them even better traction! :bleh:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts