Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 VTX 1300R. I am a heavy guy (about 360) and want to carry my wife as a passenger. This will put us significantly over the published load limit for the bike. Is there anything I can do to be able to carry the extra weight on this bike? :confused:

·
No Reason To Be Serious
16,394 Posts
I think that the 400# limit on this bike is understated for the mfg's liabilty purposes. It's hard not be over the limit riding 2 up with gear. As long as your tires are in good shape, your preload is on 5, and you don't ride beyond your limits, you will be fine....

Some may say you could change out front and rear suspension components, but I probably have 500# lbs on my bike all the time when I'm 2 up with a load of gear and all... but have had no problems....

·
Klaatu Barada Nikto
1,807 Posts
550lbs and I have it set at 3 for shocks

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
You should be fine if you do the below.
Up your shock setting. And most important raise your tire pressure.
Don't go by the manual because you will wear your tires out in 7- 9k at manual settings.
If you run 38-40psi front and 40 in rear you will get over 18K+ miles out of them. You have to always compensate for the extra load on the bike or you will est your tires up. In your case in my opinion I would run 40psi in front and 44in the rear - remember this is my opinion.
Id you were to run low pressure with that load the tires would get hot and I believe that would be dangerous. You just have to compensate for the extra load. Don't worry about the 1300, you/it will not hurt it.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
The biggest limiting factor in load carrying capacity is the tires, especially the rear tire...The shocks and frame can carry much more than Honda's 404# limit...And as Donut already mentioned, running the tires at what Honda recommends is ridiculously low...Think of a tire as an air spring (like air shocks for extra load carrying in a pickup truck)..The higher psi you run in them, the more load they could carry....The rear tire is the same way, just don't get crazy with the air pressure...Most of us run 40 psi front and rear...Bike handles better, tires last longer, and it increases how much the bike can carry....There's several other members here that are not exactly petite and I've yet to hear of a suspension failure due to overloading the bike...

But the rear shock bushings are another thing....Those cheap ass things go bad while the bike is sitting on the showroom floor...

·
Cafe Vendor
3,785 Posts
I for one went and added the progressive Heavy Duty rear shocks and replaced the front fork springs with the progressive springs.

I will agree with everyone that the stock rear shocks will work OK for you as long as you up the preload, but by adding Heavy Duty shocks you will notice a handleing and ride improvement.

Regardless of your weight, but especially because of it I cannot recommend replacing the front fork springs with the progressives enough. Normal sized people (unlike you and me :D) rave on the handling improvement, and for us bigger fella's, it is just amazing. No more nose diving going into tight turns, and under heavy breaking there is significantly less nose diving. All around, for the money it is the most handling improvement you can do. New Progressive front fork springs only run around $70. While your replacing the springs go ahead and replace the fork oil too:cool:

·
Klaatu Barada Nikto
1,807 Posts
I for one went and added the progressive Heavy Duty rear shocks and replaced the front fork springs with the progressive springs.

I will agree with everyone that the stock rear shocks will work OK for you as long as you up the preload, but by adding Heavy Duty shocks you will notice a handleing and ride improvement.

Regardless of your weight, but especially because of it I cannot recommend replacing the front fork springs with the progressives enough. Normal sized people (unlike you and me :D) rave on the handling improvement, and for us bigger fella's, it is just amazing. No more nose diving going into tight turns, and under heavy breaking there is significantly less nose diving. All around, for the money it is the most handling improvement you can do. New Progressive front fork springs only run around $70. While your replacing the springs go ahead and replace the fork oil too:cool:

Dont forget the steering bearing too..:D

·
Reality Check Bounced
444 Posts
:hmm2:Slip one of those trike kits that only take a few minutes to hook up. That'll help carry the load over 2 more wheels and make it safer and then restore it back when done 2 upping.:cheers:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Your joking right Carl? Or do you really think us big boys are to much man for two wheels?

Is replacing fronts with progresives difficult? I'm new to wrench turning.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Replacing the front springs was one of the easiest things I have done. I had my son help (21 years old). I weigh 240. I took the nut off, old spring out, used a siphon hose to get the old oil out, put new oil in, new spring in used my weight to push down on the spring while my son tuned and to start it, then I finished tightening it.

I feel like I have a completely different bike. It handles so much better.

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
# 28 ???????????????????????? :hmm2:

·
Registered
175 Posts
MY wife and I and gear top 500 pounds and have never had any handling problems, shocks set at 4 and both tires at 40#

1 - 13 of 13 Posts