Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentleman,
Owning a 2004 VTX1300C I had just wired a stereo into the harness tapping into the red wire under the seat. Been out riding and have noticed the radiator fan doesn't activate. A few times after an easy afternoon ride on a 90+ humid day the bike feels a little warmer on my leg, but no temperature light and keeps running fine. I get home where it happens to idle for a minute or two and the temperature light comes on with no fan activation. Could I have tapped the wrong wire for my stereo or could you maybe break it down to focus on what might be the problem?

·
Super Moderator
12,178 Posts
You can download a free service manual for the VTX1300 here on the VTX Cafe. In this manual you will find both a wiring diagram that should tell you what the "red wire under the seat" is and also provide a method for testing the fan and, maybe, even the high temperature switch although I doubt this switch can be easily tested.

Reactions: 68valiant

·
Registered
18,247 Posts
Jumper the fan to verify it's working. Then verify you have sufficient coolant.

Reactions: 68valiant

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got it, download it, and saved it. Thanks, the cooling system has nothing to do with the red wire I tapped into and it's a pretty easy electrical system. Basically just a power supply with a thermostatic switch involved. So it's either my fan or the thermo switch.

·
Registered
2005 VTX1800 S2
58 Posts
Gentleman,
Owning a 2004 VTX1300C I had just wired a stereo into the harness tapping into the red wire under the seat. Been out riding and have noticed the radiator fan doesn't activate. A few times after an easy afternoon ride on a 90+ humid day the bike feels a little warmer on my leg, but no temperature light and keeps running fine. I get home where it happens to idle for a minute or two and the temperature light comes on with no fan activation. Could I have tapped the wrong wire for my stereo or could you maybe break it down to focus on what might be the problem?
Pull the bottom section of shroud from the radiator, unplug the wire and connect it to a ground, with your key on it should start the fan.

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
1,120 Posts
The ground test is the way to tell if something is wrong, but also, remember our bikes are very good at air cooling, so even with 90+ degree days, unless you are in traffic you might not notice the fan on.

Mine only comes on in stop and go traffic.

Reactions: PaXman11

·
Registered
2005 VTX1800 S2
58 Posts
The ground test is the way to tell if something is wrong, but also, remember our bikes are very good at air cooling, so even with 90+ degree days, unless you are in traffic you might not notice the fan on.

Mine only comes on in stop and go traffic.
Yes, very true, Mine only comes on in traffic as well. The radiators are pretty big, and Honda made sure the coolant moved well, hitting the hot spots, and as long as you moving forward keeping air going through the radiator, they are shedding a lot of heat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stop and go or not I don't think the temperature light should come on or the fan to not have kicked in. That's the whole purpose of liquid cooled. Maybe during a few mile ride the fan wouldn't turn on because the ride's wind would keep it cool, but running around the urban curbs the engine would need to cool down activating the radiator fan. I've ridden mine for 18 years and have never had my temp light shine local or long distance. I really think there's something happening with either the temp switch or the fan. The fan should start before the temp light comes on. I'll look at the diagram because I would think the temperature switch for the fan would be involved with the temperature light.

·
Registered
2005 VTX1800 S2
58 Posts
Stop and go or not I don't think the temperature light should come on or the fan to not have kicked in. That's the whole purpose of liquid cooled. Maybe during a few mile ride the fan wouldn't turn on because the ride's wind would keep it cool, but running around the urban curbs the engine would need to cool down activating the radiator fan. I've ridden mine for 18 years and have never had my temp light shine local or long distance. I really think there's something happening with either the temp switch or the fan. The fan should start before the temp light comes on. I'll look at the diagram because I would think the temperature switch for the fan would be involved with the temperature light.
You are absolutely right, the temp light should (hopefully) never come on. The fact that it is, means there is a definite problem. The test I described would check the fan, and the fan circuit only. If the fan comes on by grounding the wire at the sensor in the bottom of the radiator, then the fan switch is likely bad. I believe the light is controlled by the engine coolant temp sensor on the thermostat housing, they are two separate circuits.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll have to look, but it seems there should be a thermostat just like a car. Now my fan controlled by the thermo switch activates the fan, but if the thermostat isn't working to keep the water from circulating that would keep the water in the radiator cool keeping the fan from coming on while the water in the block to get hot enough to light up the temperature light.

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,356 Posts
There is a thermostat under the fuel tank, just beyond the radiator cap.

Font Pattern Monochrome Monochrome photography Visual arts
Font Pattern Monochrome Monochrome photography Visual arts

1 - 15 of 15 Posts