Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you guys/gals be willing to pay around $400.00 for an air cleaner just like the one that Stump has on his bike on the home page site? This would be a metal cover with two curved slash cut tubes pointing forward with a minimal screen inside. Two small welds on the inside. No welds on the outside.

I have also considered offering a tornado model that would incorporate a swirling effect. This would sell of $100.00 more than the base model. If demand was high, it could conceivably phase out the base model.

It would be called something else. This is my own little market survey (cheap) before taking any further steps. Of course it would be offered in chrome or a choice of brass plating or black chrome/paint.:coffee:

I have contacts with people who can do this work. It would be top notch or nothing. I don't do half-way or low quality stuff.

PLease let me know your thoughts.

Sorry for any confusion. This would be an air cleaner cover. Not the whole air cleaner. It would be end-user tested first, if even made. I would send a few to the guys on this site that could evaluate them performance wise, etc. Without their endorsement or approval, I would refuse to go to market with the product.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Myself??...No way in hell!!...I can't see why in hell anybody would drop $260 on a Hypercharger, or any of the other overpriced air filter setups...:nope:

But that's just my opinion, don't take it personal...I'm a cheap bastard...:D

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
I'm with Bill. I can think of a lot of other things that I would rather spend the $400 on besides an air intake/cover.

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
thaqt sems high just for an air filter cover. Using the factory intake will atop most buyers, we strive to change the whole thing not mod the stock ones. We have Spyker doing that for us. You need to talk to BigX before starting to become a vendor here too.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
I complained on spending 50.00 for a K&N Lifetime filter. So put me down for a no.. Thanks:nope:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Myself??...No way in hell!!...I can't see why in hell anybody would drop $260 on a Hypercharger, or any of the other overpriced air filter setups...:nope:

But that's just my opinion, don't take it personal...I'm a cheap bastard...:D
YEAH,,,what he said. Me either lmao :stirpot:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feed back. I was not planning on selling anything on this site. I was just getting a feel for what people consider a good upgrade for a good price. Not that my idea was, just knowing that people spent $600 on the original P4 which is no longer available, I thought maybe 400.00 might actually be possible. Well anyhow I have scrapped the idea. Thanks again for all who replied.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
No way I would pay that kind of money - not even $75 - In fact I actually like the looks of the stock cover and with mine being decaped I have plenty of air getting in. I think my K&N cost too much.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Not trying to crack on the new guy but with only joining this month and only having 13 post says that he has no idea what "we" are looking for.

·
Registered
253 Posts
There's also alot of guys that would. I was actually loking for the P4 or the Q5 but when I found out how much trouble I would have tuning it I changed my mind. This is when I decided to go with the S&S Dual bore, which is more expensive than the P4. Once I put my cones on it'll be twice expensive as the P4. While searching for the S&S I ran into alot of people spending alot of money on the air intake. No one does it for the power, it's all for the looks.
And I know all the people here have posted that they wouldn't and I'm sure the majority wouldn't but when you're dealing with something expensive you have to find your crowd. There's other forums where you could find a few people interested in it.

·
SPyKERMods.com Owner
1,960 Posts
I'd have to pass. :D

·
WildBikers.com Owner
2,340 Posts
HELL YEA - Lets see what you can do. I really think that there are alot of us out there who Love original Custom parts. Thats why I have an Stainless Creations Intake and I frequently get PM's from people who want to know about and how. Keep this thread going I really think it is just warming up!

:patriot:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Upon researching the original P4 I discovered only 200 were made and are no longer available. I was investigating the market demand for such a product. I cannot claim it is custom or different. In fact, the original looks pretty sharp. The original was 600. They sold out. I was thinking maybe 400. But, seems that even a 200. discount is not enough to fuel the flames of desire. Oh well, maybe something else will emerge that will get everybody wanting one or some of something different.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Cafe member "Layzerdude" was cutting these out on a waterjet machine...I think less than 100 were made, maybe less than 50..was having issues with the waterjet shattering covers to the tune of about $20 each...Doesn't take many covers to start wasting alot of $$ that isn't gonna be recovered...He was selling these for $65 if I remember right...Not as radical as the P4, but I'd guess easier to tune also...I get comments on the airbox cover everywhere I go...I know of only two others in the entire state of Indiana, and they're both in the hands of fellow cafe members....Original and affordable will get alot more positive response from the peanut gallery...;) :cool:

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
You're best bet would be to talk to Stump, he has a better idea on which VTX parts will fly. These are in the higher end than most will spend here. Another bad part is alas the VTX is not built anymore so suppliers aren't building parts for them like they used to. You need to find that special group interested in truly custom parts. Also this would be clones at best and the big buck value is in the original 200 built. You could hit the big patent wall, they're good for 20 years in the US. Even worse is a copywright they stand for 100 years even if the person dies. Building something that's already been done can come with a lot of bagage. It never hurts to research before doing it.

·
Slayer of Chickens
7,029 Posts
Trying to find the thread, but one of our members back in the day made a P4 and posted a bunch of fun pictures of how he made it... total C.R.A.P. mod he considered it but it looked great for being home made.

If anyone can find the thread, that'd be cool.

Mort

1 - 20 of 23 Posts