Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
His Excellency
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, a little while back I posted a question about the side covers (Chrome vs. Painted). I was offered some great advice and came away with the assumption that these are interchangeable between the "C" and "R/S" models. I have a 2007 1300R which I always called Titanium but when looking on the colorrite.com website it shows Indy Gray Metallic as the name.
http://www.colorrite.com/product/honda-nh431m-indy-gray-metallic-1413.cfm

What I am wondering is if I offer to swap or buy side plates with another "C" model what would I be looking for? That color doesn't show as a "C" flavor. It instead has a color called "Orion Silver Metallic" that was used on 2002, 2004, 2005 C, S, and R models at different points.
http://www.colorrite.com/product/honda-nh451m-orion-silver-metallic-1473.cfm

My question is that the same color? I have been looking and I see descriptions ranging from Metallic Silver, Silver, Titanium, Indy Gray Metallic, or Orion silver Metallic. I can't seem to find anything that specifically calls the names of each years colors.

I definately would rather do a swap or buy factory "C" side plates. At this point I don't have the place, time nor patience to attempt painting the current chrome ones.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Simply, NO...they are not the same color...not even the orion silver from year to year is the same color...they seem to be a HOP (beer term) off from one another...I had a bunch of stuff painted for my "Orion Silver" bike and my painter first went the Color Rite route....NOPE...Didn't match....not even close....so my suggestion is to to have your painter scan some part of you bike and custom match anything that you want painted to match your bike...

Joe

·
His Excellency
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, It's what I was afraid of. I guess maybe someday I will meet up with someone who has one and see how close it is. If I did some prep work myself I might be able to find someone who can paint them cheaper than buying a set would be (then not knowing if the color is even close to boot). Seeing your bike I definately like the painted side covers better. Well, I'll add that one to the wish list since it is pobably not and quick and easy swap.

·
Erect Member
11,583 Posts
your best bet is to have it scanned. you could also see what your factory color code is and find someone with the painted side covers with that same code. i would say you have better odds with getting it matched though as matejj said. price wise, it wouldnt be much more (if any) than buying a new set to have yours painted to match your bike color.

also, there arent many painters that would let someone do the prep work and then just spray the paint.

·
His Excellency
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do know that the available silver painted side covers can range from $150 - $200 each. I certainly hope painting would be cheaper than that. The exact chrome replacements are about $55 each.

·
Erect Member
11,583 Posts
you may get lucky and find a painter with some leftover factory color...or order from color rite...i think they do sell 1/2 pint cans. thats more than enough for several coats on two side covers.

just looked it up...your paint code is Y181P
color rite is $86.95 for 1/2 pint...unless you go the cheap route and use the pre mixed aerosol $33.95.

·
There Can Only Be One
2,730 Posts
ctgoodman, the Honda micro fiche site lists your color as Pearl Challenger Brown...paint code Y181P. It also lists the 2005 1300C as Pearl Challenger Brown...same paint code as yours. So you should be looking for someone with an '05 C model who would like to swap side covers.

·
Erect Member
11,583 Posts
ctgoodman, the Honda micro fiche site lists your color as Pearl Challenger Brown...paint code Y181P. It also lists the 2005 1300C as Pearl Challenger Brown...same paint code as yours. So you should be looking for someone with an '05 C model who would like to swap side covers.
2009 vtx 1300 c model had a Y181P code too...so either year (2005 1300 as mrvtx said, or the 2009 1300) would work. i think the side covers were the same for all production years...

·
His Excellency
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brown??? really? I guess they have some strange names for these colors. I could call it any range of metallic gray or silver but brown, wouldn't have considered it a brown at all... :hmm2:
Isn't the color code behind one of the side covers? I'll look at that tonight and see what code is actually on the bike. The color they show for the Y181P on the colorrite.com looks more like a gold color but maybe that's not accurate.

·
There Can Only Be One
2,730 Posts
Brown??? really? I guess they have some strange names for these colors. I could call it any range of metallic gray or silver but brown, wouldn't have considered it a brown at all... :hmm2:
Isn't the color code behind one of the side covers? I'll look at that tonight and see what code is actually on the bike. The color they show for the Y181P on the colorrite.com looks more like a gold color but maybe that's not accurate.
You can't really go by their color spots on their website to exactly match what color your bike is. But, I have purchased paint from them and it does match. My latest repaint of the fairing, PP and my new front fender were all from ColorRite.

·
His Excellency
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You guys are right on that Y181P color code. I see that was available on the 2005 and 2009 1300c model. So I'll get some good photos of mine and put out a feeler for a trade. I'd be willing to kickin a little extra and cover all the shipping. I'll see how that goes before I go through all the hassle of trying to or hiring them painted.

Thanks for all the help guys... :cool:

·
Registered
29 Posts
This is a great match to my 05 13R orion silver. I dont remember the brand of paint. It came from a local auto parts store. It is ford pickup color #nh451m/451 metalic silver. Jim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts