Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

341 - 359 of 359 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Thanks Hiramsaint it was well worth the time that it took. I will definitely post a pic when its all put together RBull. :cheers:

·
Deplorable member
7,409 Posts
As I've been getting ready to spray the engine I've been wondering, has anyone tried painting the engine first then sanding and polishing the fins after? It sure would save time on this tedious pinstriping. I had the fins sanded and polished fairly quickly. A Dremel with those small polishing wheels and the white rouge compound really made short work of it. Maybe it doesn't come out as uniform. Any thoughts?

·
Too short for my weight
5,326 Posts
Seems like it wouldn't have a very uniform edge to the paint, and maybe the edges of the paint would chip easier?

·
Too short for my weight
5,326 Posts
Would the polishing compound harm the paint?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
As I've been getting ready to spray the engine I've been wondering, has anyone tried painting the engine first then sanding and polishing the fins after? It sure would save time on this tedious pinstriping. I had the fins sanded and polished fairly quickly. A Dremel with those small polishing wheels and the white rouge compound really made short work of it. Maybe it doesn't come out as uniform. Any thoughts?
That's actually how we did mine. I got them sanded down to may 800 or 1000, I don't remember which. We then sprayed the entire engine. After it had time to dry we went back and started sanding again where I had left off. Then it was time to polish. I used a big buffing wheel for the parts you can take off and then a dremel for what you can't. It's not 100% perfect but it still looks good. You can double check with ray but that's how mine was done to the best of my recollection. You've seen my bike so you know how the engine looks. You would have to look really close to see it's not perfect.

Well I tried to post pics but for some reason they aren't posting like they should from Photobucket.

·
Deplorable member
7,409 Posts
Seems like it wouldn't have a very uniform edge to the paint, and maybe the edges of the paint would chip easier?
The sanding came out pretty uniform but it does have silver paint. Oh well, I'm almost done now

·
There Can Only Be One
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #353
Bill Vance, a.k.a. Bassdude, said he wiped the fins, immediately after spraying a section of the engine, with a rag soaked with paint thinner tightly wrapped on a paint stick...claimed it worked well. I'm OCD, so it was pinstriping for me. Some paint did bleed behind the pinstripes, but it was easy to remove from the polished fins.

·
Deplorable member
7,409 Posts
Well MR VTX, I've read your write up and am more than impressed by your results so I'll dance with the one that brung me this far! Pics when it's done and back together.

·
Deplorable member
7,409 Posts
Well, here it is. Done and back together plus a new radiator and painted side covers. A BIG shout out to MR VTX for this write up. It would have been a lot harder without this thread and may have not been done at all.:patriot:

100_7101.JPG 100_7099.JPG

·
There Can Only Be One
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #356

·
Deplorable member
7,409 Posts
looks great man , i painted mine as well just wish i would have seen you use the pinstripe over the fins ,before i did mine, lol super clean nice job:mosh:
Where's the pics?:16:

341 - 359 of 359 Posts