Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered some black drag bars and when they come in I have decided I want to paint everything attached to the bars gloss black to match. Im going to buy black levers since they get so much use but the rest I want to just paint.

Im planning on using black epoxy paint but I have a few questions. :hmm2:

1. Anyone done it?
  2. Is this a terrible Idea, not asking about looks but more of how it will hold up to daily driving.
  3. Will the epoxy paint hold up against the brake fluid? If not is there a paint that will?
  4. Any advice as to how to make this turn out the best?
Any advice would be great

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Will the epoxy paint hold up against the brake fluid? If not is there a paint that will?

No paint will. I am presently working on the same thing just been to cold to paint.

It is really hard to get paint to stick to aluminum. Sure it will stick for a while but turn lose later on. I will check with my painter later. He has a type of paint that looks sticks like powered coating. Very hard.
When working the clutch/brake reservoir I use a old sock. Wrape it and tie it. The sock will catch all the fluid and keep it off the paint.

just thought

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! keep me posted on the type of paint. Best I know of is epoxy. I will probably be doing this in about a week.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I heard about great results from appliance epoxy paint. I don't want to resort to a basic 1 stage paint but I'm most concerned about durability.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts