Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did the pair removal last nite, man that sucked! Honestly, not difficult, but a PITA for sure... the link on the tips page really was no help at all, it wasnt till about halfway thru, when i had pretty much given up hope, and started losing my temper,that i found another link, 'bout 2 pages long really simple, and i finally got it. looking back at the original write up, it said it would take 3 hours, first time out, well, about 3.5 for me.

World of advice for others doing this... Have someone there to help you out! If only to hold the tank in place and talk you out of a panic/anger attack if it happens!

on the positive end, bike sounds a little better, runs a little better, and has lost some of the "pissed-off-sewing-machine-sound" (sounds a little meaner)

Pipes on wednesday, and maybe SCAR on saturday, ill see how the bike runs before i dig in again, Thanks guys, couldn't have done it without ya!

Reactions: SFCVIA

·
Registered
40 Posts
you dont need anyone to hold the tank..just remove it....

+1.

It may seem like a big deal, but it really isn't.

Just unclip the 2 side hoses from the shutoff valve and separate the 2 blue electrical connectors under the right side of the tank.

As you lift the tank, pull back, and it will come off easily. If it's full of gas, it will weigh 35 lbs or so. Pull off the breather hose under the tank, and that's it.

Set the tank on a block so the weight won't be on the shutoff valve. I set mine on top of an open plastic garbage can.

You'll probably spill a little gas through the breather hose, so be prepared.

Installation is the reverse - simple!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i got it, eventually, but man, the one thing that really got me going was the front plate, i had the worst time trying to get that last screw, i bet i spent 30 mins on that alone- i got it, it wasnt that difficult, but it was a pain, ugh... glad its done

·
Registered
163 Posts
i got it, eventually, but man, the one thing that really got me going was the front plate, i had the worst time trying to get that last screw, i bet i spent 30 mins on that alone- i got it, it wasnt that difficult, but it was a pain, ugh... glad its done
I got to the front inside screw from the right side of the bike. Actually had room to get a wrench from that side.:beer:

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
might have been some trouble, but just think, you did it all by yourself. here's to you brother, slap yourself on the back and have another.:cheers:

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
ok, i will volunteer to help anybody who wants to remove the pair valve....i am an expert now at removal/reinstall of the seats, tank, air box, and all misc parts....just ask charlie d....:D (i even know how to check all the vac lines and ecectrical lines disc in error):spank:

for heavens sakes, i screwed it up so much it had to count for at least 6 or 7 pair valves at once....:harder:

but glad you got it done....it can be a real pain the $%@# if directions are not followed.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did the pair removal last nite, man that sucked! Honestly, not difficult, but a PITA for sure... the link on the tips page really was no help at all, it wasnt till about halfway thru, when i had pretty much given up hope, and started losing my temper,that i found another link, 'bout 2 pages long really simple, and i finally got it. looking back at the original write up, it said it would take 3 hours, first time out, well, about 3.5 for me.

World of advice for others doing this... Have someone there to help you out! If only to hold the tank in place and talk you out of a panic/anger attack if it happens!

on the positive end, bike sounds a little better, runs a little better, and has lost some of the "pissed-off-sewing-machine-sound" (sounds a little meaner)

Pipes on wednesday, and maybe SCAR on saturday, ill see how the bike runs before i dig in again, Thanks guys, couldn't have done it without ya!
Can you send the link that was of great help in Your mod. Also was your bike cutting out due to the pair valve ? Mine has died twice in traffic. And I have been told to get the pair valve looked at. If I can just go around it and nit have it at all I think I’ll be happier with it.

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
You are unlikely to get a response since this thread is about 12.5 years old. I recommend starting a new thread with your question. If they question is whether the pair valve system can cause the engine to randomly die, then I think the answer is no. The pair valve can cause decel gurgling and a little decel popping but I've never heard of it causing the engine to die.

Reactions: SFCVIA

·
Registered
8 Posts
You are unlikely to get a response since this thread is about 12.5 years old. I recommend starting a new thread with your question. If they question is whether the pair valve system can cause the engine to randomly die, then I think the answer is no. The pair valve can cause decel gurgling and a little decel popping but I've never heard of it causing the engine to die.
Thank you for the feedback. The bike runs great until it dies. No Symptoms, no warning just died

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
Take the sparkplugs out and inspect them for color.

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,234 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Spark plugs are perfect — the previous owner said it just runs cold for 15 to 20 minutes depending on the temperature. So I guess I run it with the choke pulled out a lil but until it warms up more. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
The bike is lean from the factory and this is why it does not run well cold. You can cure this problem by rejetting the carb. If you do that, it is a good time to open the airbox more, put in a high flow filter, and (if you plan to) put on new pipes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have no idea if that is above my endurance to do and learn at this time. Or how many specialized tools may be required. So I’m researching both the option for me to do it or to have it done ..
Wish me luck.

·
Registered
2006 Honda VTX 1300R
703 Posts
They are cold blooded bikes. Get Glens permanent A/F screw which will help you richen the bike up a bit. Using the choke only dirties up your plugs. I haven't used my choke in years, just two twists of the throttle and it fires right up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts