Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Honda VTX 1300 R
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see all kinds of articles on this modification. The simplest one was to just put in a dimple gasket. Will this reduce the decel poping on my 1300 or do I need to do something else

·
Super Moderator
12,178 Posts
It is not a "dimple gasket" but, rather, a dimpled block off plate that is used. The pair mod will reduce the decel popping and also help reduce the decel gurgling in the pipes.

·
Registered
2006 Honda VTX 1300 R
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see all kinds of articles on this modification. The simplest one was to just put in a dimple gasket. Will this reduce the decel poping on my 1300 or do I need to do something else
It is not a "dimple gasket" but, rather, a dimpled block off plate that is used. The pair mod will reduce the decel popping and also help reduce the decel gurgling in the pipes.
I mean plate. I keep the reed in, correct? Dont know why this works but if it stops the popping its gteat

·
Registered
18,246 Posts
I mean plate. I keep the reed in, correct? Dont know why this works but if it stops the popping its gteat
The reed valve is held in place under the cover with a simple screw. The dimple in the plate sits right over that screw head, eliminating the need to remove the reed valve itself. It takes an extra 2-3 minutes to remove the reed valve so you aren't saving much, just a couple minutes' labor.

Reactions: Fishingfoolemjak

·
Super Moderator
12,178 Posts
The problem is that the screw holding in the reed valve is not normal. It cannot be unscrewed. Perhaps it is a rivet and not a screw. You have to twist the head off and then remove it and the reed. You can avoid this hassle by spending an extra ~$5 on the dimpled blockoff plates instead of the flat blockoff plates.

Note also that the pair mod REDUCES decel popping and gurgling but will not completely eliminate it.

·
Registered
18,246 Posts
The problem is that the screw holding in the reed valve is not normal. It cannot be unscrewed. Perhaps it is a rivet and not a screw. You have to twist the head off and then remove it and the reed. You can avoid this hassle by spending an extra ~$5 on the dimpled blockoff plates instead of the flat blockoff plates.

Note also that the pair mod REDUCES decel popping and gurgling but will not completely eliminate it.
When I got mine years ago from Larry Olin in Mich., he was charging the same price for the dimple and the un-dimple. $5 is maybe a little excessive.

·
Super Moderator
12,178 Posts
At the same price for dimpled and undimpled, I wonder why anyone would buy the undimpled/flat plates and, thus, have to go through the hassle of removing the reed valve screws/rivets.

·
Registered
18,246 Posts
At the same price for dimpled and undimpled, I wonder why anyone would buy the undimpled/flat plates and, thus, have to go through the hassle of removing the reed valve screws/rivets.
I wondered that myself when I bought them. Guess that was like everything else, 'less' is always more $.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts