Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if i remove the par valve and change the exhaust do i need to rejet
on 06 1300c

·
Registered
126 Posts
From what I understand, no. You only need to rejet when doing an airbox mod or change to a different airbox that allows more air into the engine.. Could be wrong, and I'm sure others with more experience will chime in pretty quick...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
There are many steps in tuning a carb before a vtx rider ever needs to rejet. with the pair valve mod and exhaust change, your a/f screw will need to be adjusted. There are carb experts here who can go into detail, but do not listen to the exhaust companys who only try to sell expensive jet kits.
Do it and good luck. there is a lot written on this subject if you search this forum.
Bry :choppersm

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
if i remove the par valve and change the exhaust do i need to rejet
on 06 1300c
All you'll need to do is turn the a/f screw out 1/4 to half turn. (bone stock they could all use a 1/4 turn)
As already said above, you won't ever need to rejet or scar mod until you change the stock airbox to allow more air flow.

It also would make life easier for you to get a permanent adjuster from Glen http://www.glensvtxgarage.com/

·
FREEBIRD
7,596 Posts
All you'll need to do is turn the a/f screw out 1/4 to half turn. (bone stock they could all use a 1/4 turn)
As already said above, you won't ever need to rejet or scar mod until you change the stock airbox to allow more air flow.

It also would make life easier for you to get a permanent adjuster from Glen http://www.glensvtxgarage.com/
BLC, not to highjack your post, but in the intrest of info sharing, why is there a need for a permanent a/f adjuster, Doug? I'm new at this and my mind is like a sponge at this point.

·
Registered
126 Posts
BLC, not to highjack your post, but in the intrest of info sharing, why is there a need for a permanent a/f adjuster, Doug? I'm new at this and my mind is like a sponge at this point.
The only other way that I know of to adjust the a/f screw is to remove the tank. With the permanent adjuster, you can tweak on the run to get the best results.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
What ice said. Once the permanent adjuster is installed, you never have to remove the tank again to adjust the A/F. Just reach down and tweak it. It is a quality piece of hardware - Glen does a very nice job. And it comes with a D-tool to remove the original AF screw. While you are on his site, check out the clutch relief mod. It is a MUST DO.

·
FREEBIRD
7,596 Posts
I understand that you can adjust/tweak on the run with a perm a/f screw, but I haven't adjusted/tweaked EVER, and don't understand the need. Am I missing an important key to a better ride? I do know these bikes inherently run lean, and although I have installed Cobras, I have encountered no problems. I am a very green rider, and I'm certain many of you are more tech-savvy, so I look forward to any input.

·
Premium Member
3,915 Posts
I understand that you can adjust/tweak on the run with a perm a/f screw, but I haven't adjusted/tweaked EVER, and don't understand the need. Am I missing an important key to a better ride? I do know these bikes inherently run lean, and although I have installed Cobras, I have encountered no problems. I am a very green rider, and I'm certain many of you are more tech-savvy, so I look forward to any input.

I adjusted mine after I did the pair valve mod to reduce decel backfiring and popping. The Glen's A/F tool makes the job sooo easy. By the way, after a minor A/F adjustment, no more popping/backfiring. I'm installing my new dooleys this weekend, so once again, I'll be grateful to have the permanent tool. Best to you.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
If it doesn't backfire or fall on its face when you first give it throttle, then you have no need for an AF adjustment. But you will be the first person I have heard of that has been that lucky.

·
Premium Member
3,915 Posts
What The Old Fool said...:cheers:

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm definitely not an expert, but you might want to adjust it if you make some additional mods that would affect A/F, as well as if you ride into higher elevations to tune it on-the-fly for leaner/richer air conditions.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
It's certainly not something you have to do... but most people have good results from it even on a bone stock bike.

Here's why I did it:
First reason is like you already mentioned, there set very lean from the factory.
Second reason, even if it runs good by adjusting the a/f a little it will run better and also start without needing to use the choke.

·
FREEBIRD
7,596 Posts
Thanks guys. Still, this seems like a "set it and forget it" adjustment. Not something you will continually adjust over the course of the bike's life. Because of the popularity of this mod, I'm sure I'm totally wrong - I still have tonnes to learn.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts