Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a question that might have a true answer, or might be an opinion answer. I'm trying to research aftermarket exhaust systems, and i think this will be the last part. I know members here have used probably all the major exhaust styems on their bikes, and i want to know which system is more effective as far as bluing goes, the double wall system with a pipe within a pipe such as HK uses or the Chrome shield system that Honda uses on its stock exhaust and Cobra uses on its custom exhaust. I know there may be other exhaust companies that use double walls or chrome shields, so give me your likes, dislikes. Remember appearance only, sound i have to judge for myself and since i have some hearing loss courtesy of the military, i like LOUD. thanks guys and girls
Bry

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
The HK system (sideburner) had welds brake on mine where they welded the shield in place, this happened after about 18 months so I was told tough sh!t by them.

I think every brand is a crap shoot

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
I have Cobra on my bike only cuz I did not do enough research and had not found the Cafe yet.....I have seen (and heard) Bubs...I really liked the looks and sound of them...

·
FREEBIRD
7,599 Posts
Hey Bry, I just installed Cobra Speedster slashdowns on my 1300c this summer. They have full-length covers and I can gladly tell you there is no bluing whatsoever. I know sound is very subjective, but in my opinion, these pipes rock. If you're looking, these won't dissappoint! As for hearing loss, I'm on the same page, and for similar reasons (although the wife wonders why I sometimes don't hear her when she's right beside me, but I can hear a door open on the other side of the house when I'm sound asleep):icon_ihea

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Noted, Charlie and Headcase. That sux having welds break after buying an expensive system. Headcase, so you like or dont like your cobras?
Wigit, the Cobra's look really good, no problems with the shield either, so thats good. hehe, same as you, i can hear almost anything whem i'm sleeping in bed. Cant hear TV dialogue very good tho :hmm2: So far looks like the shields are ahead.
Thanks guys. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
It kind of depends on whether you want old school or new school. The shielded pipes are new school. Every bike I owned for the past 40 years had blue pipes. Heck, if you buy a new Bonneville today and ride it 2 weeks, you will have blue pipes. But I have converted and now run the Cobra Slashdowns - which I think look great on a C model. Seems like the R and S need the longer pipes. Any way no blue at all - even on the inner pipes.

As far as sound is concerned, I have had the Slashdowns for about 2 years now and they are getting louder and louder as the baffles blow out (yes, they do blow out over time). The pipes, combined with a wide open intake, make the bike almost hurtful to ride without ear plugs. Over the Winter I plan to go to the quiet baffles or an after market baffle. I love the look of the pipes but they have just become too loud.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Here's a question that might have a true answer, or might be an opinion answer. I'm trying to research aftermarket exhaust systems, and i think this will be the last part. I know members here have used probably all the major exhaust styems on their bikes, and i want to know which system is more effective as far as bluing goes, the double wall system with a pipe within a pipe such as HK uses or the Chrome shield system that Honda uses on its stock exhaust and Cobra uses on its custom exhaust. I know there may be other exhaust companies that use double walls or chrome shields, so give me your likes, dislikes. Remember appearance only, sound i have to judge for myself and since i have some hearing loss courtesy of the military, i like LOUD. thanks guys and girls
Bry
I have had V&H, Cobras and Bubs. They where all very nice. The cobras had a great sound and no blueing. The V&H chrome is really nice. Didn't have a problem wiyh blueing at all. I now have bubs huggers and they are a little lighter in weight than the V&H but I don't have any blueing or such. The sound of the bubs are to me the best. They are louder than the other pipes and when you put a load to them they really let the sound out. My OP. Good luck. Doug

·
Certified Biotch!
7,165 Posts
Just an opinion here....But everything about HK sucks....the quality of their pipes suck...their customer service sucks....I wouldn't buy another set of pipes from them if they were $5.00 & buy 1 get one free....

·
FREEBIRD
7,599 Posts
One look at TheOldFools avatar and I think anyone with any sense of style would agree 100% that the slashdowns were meant for this bike. Just my opinion. Nice lookin bike OF!:cheers:

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
HTML:
HTML:
Headcase, so you like or dont like your cobras?
:cheers:
I like the Cobra pipes...I think the sound serves its purpose...

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
All pipe in a pipe exhausts will prevent the bluing you just need to decide which sound to go with the look. I've had two sets of RoadBurner pipes and had no problems so far with either set. I bought the Double Eagles for the quiet idle but that is getting louder as the baffles burn out. I think all the pipes I've ever owned have done that though. I like the large canister and long pipes on the R/S/T bike because of the big fender. That's the main reason I changed from the RoadBurner Street Lites. If you like the stock pipes you can modify the stock ones easily enough and get some good sound out of them. They sound much better on the 1300 than the 1800.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
If you don't want to spend a lot of bucks just Go to a Custom Chrome catalog and look at all the different muffler pipes they have.Your stock X head pipes are pretty cool already and there are a bunch of different pipes you can get for small bucks. Check out my fishtails.

·
WTF, Over!
8,338 Posts
I stuck with the stock cans, and sent them off to VTXExhaust. I really like the look Honda put on the Retro with the stock cans. My VTXExhaust is LOUD, but you can put their baffles in, which quiets them down, some.

It kind of depends on whether you want old school or new school. The shielded pipes are new school. Every bike I owned for the past 40 years had blue pipes. Heck, if you buy a new Bonneville today and ride it 2 weeks, you will have blue pipes. But I have converted and now run the Cobra Slashdowns - which I think look great on a C model. Seems like the R and S need the longer pipes. Any way no blue at all - even on the inner pipes.

As far as sound is concerned, I have had the Slashdowns for about 2 years now and they are getting louder and louder as the baffles blow out (yes, they do blow out over time). The pipes, combined with a wide open intake, make the bike almost hurtful to ride without ear plugs. Over the Winter I plan to go to the quiet baffles or an after market baffle. I love the look of the pipes but they have just become too loud.

A local rider here in MD put some new baffles in, I think they were called Thunder Mikes, and they improved the sound of his Cobra Slashdowns considerably.

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
You want Loud, go Bub Jug Huggers and remove the baffles.

OR

You want Loud, go Samson Warlords and remove the baffles.

Bub's are probably the loudest pipe Ive ever heard on a 1300. Ear-Bleeding, 1/2 mile away, OMG I cant Believe you haven't gotten a ticket yet... Loud

I run the Samson Warlords. They sound great.. Nice deep tone.. They would be too loud for me if I didnt wear a full face helm.

-Gonz

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
The Bubs are louder than the speedster longs with no baffles?

You want Loud, go Bub Jug Huggers and remove the baffles.

OR

You want Loud, go Samson Warlords and remove the baffles.

Bub's are probably the loudest pipe Ive ever heard on a 1300. Ear-Bleeding, 1/2 mile away, OMG I cant Believe you haven't gotten a ticket yet... Loud

I run the Samson Warlords. They sound great.. Nice deep tone.. They would be too loud for me if I didnt wear a full face helm.

-Gonz

1 - 20 of 41 Posts