Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping that someone with a 2008 VTX1300 can check out their petcock valve for me and respond. I needed to replace the two plates on the backside of my petcock valve.

Unfortunately, I failed to notice that the inner plate has what looks like a small hole (pictured) that does not have a hose or anything attaching to it and did not notice whether that hole is facing up, down, left or right as the petcock valve is installed on the tank.

Could someone please take a look at their petcock valve plates and let me know if that hole on the inner plate faces down, up, left or right?

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
9,652 Posts
Looking at the part you picture, there are two pins 180 degrees from each other. These must fit into mating holes in the other half of the body of the petcock. This would mean that the hole you mention could only go one of two ways. I do not have a 1300 I can look at but my guess is that the hole orientation does not matter. If you have a choice, point it downward to prevent debris from collecting in it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking at the part you picture, there are two pins 180 degrees from each other. These must fit into mating holes in the other half of the body of the petcock. This would mean that the hole you mention could only go one of two ways. I do not have a 1300 I can look at but my guess is that the hole orientation does not matter. If you have a choice, point it downward to prevent debris from collecting in it.

Thanks. Unfortunately, there are four mating holes so that particular side could theoretically go in any direction.

·
Super Moderator
5,427 Posts
That is a weep / breather hole and should face down. If that hole is blocked, when you try to start the bike and the vacuum is trying to pull the diaphragm open that back side of the diaphragm must be able to draw air into the cavity or the diaphragm can't move.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is a weep / breather hole and should face down. If that hole is blocked, when you try to start the bike and the vacuum is trying to pull the diaphragm open that back side of the diaphragm must be able to draw air into the cavity or the diaphragm can't move.
Thanks Sparky. Very helpful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts