Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I just picked up a 2005 VTX 1300s a couple weeks ago and I couldn't be more excited! It's my first step up from my old shadow. I'm planning on doing some work on the bike over the winter, adding saddlebags, windshield, painting, etc. One thing I'm completely stumped on though is finding replacement engine covers. I have three plastic chrome covers that are completely bubbled up. The bike is in fantastic shape besides those. I'm having quite a time trying to replacement covers. I'm curious if anyone has encountered this problem before? Any advice or shared experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot and ride safe out there.

- Tony

·
Deplorable member
7,414 Posts
Welcome, Tony, from somewhere west of Atlanta. I, too, have a black S. By engine covers, do you mean the spark plug covers or the larger chrome pieces lower on the engine. Try fleabay, I've seen some on there but really check their condition b4 purchasing. You can also try Partzilla. What kind of painting are you going to do, bits and parts or a total color change? I remember a few years ago when my bike looked like yours and I hope you have as much fun as I did ''making it your own".

Reactions: nate6966

·
This guy needs all 1800cc
2,080 Posts
Like Hiramsaint said, Partzilla has some of the best prices for new OEM parts but eBay is the best option for finding the parts used and save some money. Be creative in your eBay search as most sellers misspell or mislabel their items.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: RBull and mjklaser

·
Too short for my weight
5,721 Posts
Welcome from the mountains of western NC!! Also, if your painting anyways, why not add some color to the engine area by sanding and painting the plastic chrome on the motor? Just an idea....

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
8,135 Posts
You need to address why they are bubbling or you'll just have it happen again. Sounds like running too hot probably lean. Can touch side covers on engine with bare hand they shouldn't be so hot they bubble up.
You can get generic side covers on eBay but the ones on engine probably need to buy OEM.

·
Deplorable member
7,414 Posts
You need to address why they are bubbling or you'll just have it happen again. Sounds like running too hot probably lean. Can touch side covers on engine with bare hand they shouldn't be so hot they bubble up.
You can get generic side covers on eBay but the ones on engine probably need to buy OEM.
I was wondering about that too then I saw where he was from Saint Paul. It made me wonder if salt and incomplete cleaning after being in it was the culprit. I don't know how they treat the roads up there but it was just a thought.

·
Too short for my weight
5,721 Posts
What about colored powder coating?

·
Deplorable member
7,414 Posts

·
~ High-Finesse Hooligan ~
11,589 Posts
Robert brought up the issue that popped into my head when I read the original post - is the chrome bubbling due to excess engine heat from lean running? tonar90, do you get popping or backfiring on decelerations from speed? That indicates lean running - the other prime indicator of lean is if spark plug tips are white instead of brown (good air:fuel ratio) or black (running rich). If no lean symptoms, then environmental factors perhaps - but, it would be helpful to know which covers are involved - are you referring to the top ones covering the jugs/spark plugs, or side covers and if side, which ones?

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
8,135 Posts
I was wondering about that too then I saw where he was from Saint Paul. It made me wonder if salt and incomplete cleaning after being in it was the culprit. I don't know how they treat the roads up there but it was just a thought.
Good point. Didn't think of salt but seems unlikely with such low miles that it would have been rode in winter.

If they are really in bad shape sanding and painting might work but I still think you have bigger issues for them to be bubbling at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys,

I appreciate the responses. I took Hiramsaints advice and checked out partzilla as well as a couple other sites. I ended up buying the covers OEM through Honda. It was the air cleaner cover and the large and small crank case cover all on the right side of the bike. I'm honestly not sure how it happened considering I just picked up the bike a few weeks ago. It was no small feat. A 400 mile round trip in subzero weather, but for a bike that only had 3500 miles it was well worth it! Since I'm investing my time and money in the bike I decided to do it right and go OEM on these covers. I've heard about heat and careless fluid spills causing the bubbling issues, I'll be able to do a little more experimenting in the spring when it gets on the road. As for now I've got it up on a stand with both fenders and the gas tank pulled. I'm plan on changing out the fluids and doing a little painting. I work in an auto body shop so I have the benefit of having a paint booth at my disposal. I'm going to paint the parts a similar color as I did my shadow. a black base coat with just a pinch of metallic blue. So the bike will appear black, but when the sunlight hits it'll have a nice deep blue that shows through. Now I just need to look into a windshield and saddlebags ($$$$) and I'll be in business! I appreciate all the advice and I look forward to sharing my ride with this community!

-Tony

·
This guy needs all 1800cc
2,080 Posts
... I'm going to paint the parts a similar color as I did my shadow. a black base coat with just a pinch of metallic blue. So the bike will appear black, but when the sunlight hits it'll have a nice deep blue that shows through....
Excellent color choice! Mine's not far off of that!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: mjklaser

·
Deplorable member
7,414 Posts
Reactions: RBull and mjklaser
1 - 15 of 15 Posts