Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Nerd Biker
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2003 vtx-c has idle issues, drops from 900 to 600 rpm when stopped, acts like it wants to stall and you have to give it gas to start it up. Just had the plugs replaced and dyno'd, they say its an idle control module or something like that, but I dont know what it would be on a honda. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Dustin

·
Slayer of Chickens
7,029 Posts
Do you have an aftermarket fuel injection control like a power commander? Sounds like you would if you had it dyno'd... they may have not set the zero throttle properly.

Mort

·
Nerd Biker
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Dyno guy is a friend of mine, he assures me that its something within the throttle that is cutting fuel during idle intermittently, the dyno came out right and the bike rides great, except at idle.......

·
Nerd Biker
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wouldnt the regulator make it run like shit all the time though? I cant do anything till monday anyways cause these shops run on bankers hours haha

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
FPR was the first thing that I thought of when I read the thread. I'm with CharlieD on this.

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
wouldnt the regulator make it run like shit all the time though? I cant do anything till monday anyways cause these shops run on bankers hours haha
Like I said you need to start ruling things out and it is a good place to start due to the ### of recent bad ones.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I can't remember what the idle RPM is supposed to be, but if you can find that out, the problem could also be that it is set too low (If you are sitting on the bike, there is an idle speed adjustment inside of your left knee). A lot of people set this lower trying to make the bike sound more like a Harley (winds up causing problems similar to what you are experiencing). Do a search, find out what your idle speed is supposed to be, and if needed adjust it and see what happens. If the speed is supposed to be 900, then I guess that my suggestion is worthless to you.:cheers:

·
Slayer of Chickens
7,029 Posts
Let us know as you rule things out, I've got some other ideas... but if what you have on your plate works out, then there's no point in clouding it.

M

·
Favorite Bike - V65 Magna
1,437 Posts
I read that there is a switch hooked to the clutch that gives a signal to increase idle speed as the clutch is released.

Could this switch be bad ???
You are correct. The 1800 has two different idle speeds. The low speed is the normal idle. The high speed idle is a 'load anticipation' feature that is intended to prevent engine stalls.

If the wiring in that circuit has a loose connection, it would cause this problem. It's easy to diagnose. Pull one of the connectors off the clutch switch. If the idle stabilizes, that circuit has a loose connection.

Geezer

·
Nerd Biker
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will try that Geezer, bike goes in tomorrow for the fuel pressure regulator, i will check it before I bring it!

Well i tried the clutch wire thing, took top one off, no change, took the bottom one off and the bike shut off..........

·
Nerd Biker
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All of you guys rock, it was the fuel pressure regulator! My bike runs perfect now! Thanks a bunch, now anyone got a suggestion for a quick release windshield that is functional and looks good? or maybe a front fairing package they would recommend?

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
All of you guys rock, it was the fuel pressure regulator! My bike runs perfect now! Thanks a bunch, now anyone got a suggestion for a quick release windshield that is functional and looks good? or maybe a front fairing package they would recommend?
Glad it was that simple
You may see a increase in your mpg as a side effect

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I can't remember what the idle RPM is supposed to be, but if you can find that out, the problem could also be that it is set too low (If you are sitting on the bike, there is an idle speed adjustment inside of your left knee). A lot of people set this lower trying to make the bike sound more like a Harley (winds up causing problems similar to what you are experiencing). Do a search, find out what your idle speed is supposed to be, and if needed adjust it and see what happens. If the speed is supposed to be 900, then I guess that my suggestion is worthless to you.:cheers:
Good to know about the idle speed adjustment. Since adding my tach, I've learned that my idle is about 1000 to 1100. Now, I can try to adjust it down to 700 to 900 range. I tried looking in the index for anything on idle speed adjustment. Nope. I just searched in the Honda service manual FI chapter and on page 5-127 it calls the idle speed adjustment the "throttle stop screw" with idle speed of 800 +/- 100. Thanks for sharing!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts