Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of us who have had one of the many forms of cancer, or have had a loved one or friend come down with the disease, know the physical and emotional toll it can take on them, as well as on the people close to them. For the women who have contracted breast cancer, the toll it takes on them and their families can be far greater. Unfortunately, the emotional scars of having contracted breast cancer can remain long after the cancer is gone.

Aside from non-melanoma skin cancer, breast cancer is the most common form of cancer in women. Breast cancer is the number one cause of cancer death in Hispanic women. It is the second most common cause of cancer death in white, black, Asian/Pacific Islander, and American Indian/Alaska Native women. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in the USA in 2006 (the most recent year numbers are available):

191,410 women were diagnosed with breast cancer.
40,820 women died from breast cancer.

This means that each and every one of us will probably know someone – our mother, or sister, or daughter, or friend, or co-worker, or one of their friends, who has or will become afflicted with this terrible disease.

Earlier this year a co-worker of mine received the sad news that their sister had been diagnosed with breast cancer. I saw the pain that it caused for my co-worker, and easily imagined how much pain their sister and the whole family was going through. It is heart breaking to know that an energetic young woman, a great mom with small children at home, would have to deal with something like this so early on in her life.

As a way of trying to show support for my co-worker and the family, I have registered to participate in the June 2011 Ride Across Maryland. The Ride Across Maryland is a motorcycle ride to Maryland destinations, to raise money for breast cancer research. The primary designee is the Komen for a Cure, MD Affiliate. In their 10 years of holding the event, they have donated over $2 million and have become the largest 3rd party fundraiser for Komen in the world!

If you are a motorcycle rider, I ask that you consider participating in the Ride Across Maryland on June 4, 2011. If you are not a motorcycle rider or unable to participate, I ask that you please consider supporting this worthy cause and make a small donation. Although we are all feeling the pinch in these tough economic times, if each one of us made a $5.00 donation to the event, we could make a huge difference in fight against breast cancer.

If you are interested in making a donation, you can do so online at: http://www.rideacrossmaryland.org/participant/lc. For those interested in participating in the event, you can go to the same web page and click on “Register Now” to sign up for the ride. If you know anyone who is a motorcycle rider, please let them know about this event and encourage them to participate or provide their support.

I know that this is a blatant and very forward request for help, but this is a serious disease and I would appreciate any help that you can provide.

:choppersm

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
that sounds like a ride i'd be interested in!!
the website doesnt go into detail about the ride as far as where it starts.
it says it ends in ocean city,md and its a 3 day event.(why 3 days?) please post some detailed info.
also many may not know but i saw a video that said
that men can also get the breast cancer i couldnt believe it!!
i always buy gift cards for online purchases and holiday gifts
and when i do its a susan g comen visa card.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It starts at the Colombia Mall in Colombia, Maryland and goes to Ocean City, Maryland. The event is three days, but in fact the "ride" is just on the Saturday.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good morning Marty,

I just saw your generous donation on the web site, and wanted to thank you.

I really appreciate your donation, because it comes from the heart and
towards a good cause.

Ride safe and stay warm!

Ant :choppersm

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
pilotguy299

My wife has been fighting breast cancer for 3 years now. It is a very ugly disease.
It started in her right breast and now it has spread to 5 other parts of her body

Thank you for your post.

dd :patriot:

·
Registered
490 Posts
Do you have a Pay-Pal account that I can send some money to???? if so can you post it...

·
WTF, Over!
8,338 Posts
that sounds like a ride i'd be interested in!!
the website doesnt go into detail about the ride as far as where it starts.
it says it ends in ocean city,md and its a 3 day event.(why 3 days?) please post some detailed info.
also many may not know but i saw a video that said
that men can also get the breast cancer i couldnt believe it!!
i always buy gift cards for online purchases and holiday gifts
and when i do its a susan g comen visa card.
As for men, Richard Roundtree (Shaft!) got breast cancer, and made it his job to let other men know, they too can get this cancer, even though it is rare.

All I know is I have some women folk I care about got it, and it help kill my mom (she was so weakened by the chemo they had to stop it early, and then it came back in her bones...she lasted 6 months, to Thanksgiving weekend, 1995)

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Both my great grandmother and my grandmother had breast cancer. My mother had kidney cancer and had the kidney removed. I have a friend that's a retired Navy Chief which informed me that men can have breast cancer.....he had breast cancer himself. If I can, I will make the ride. If not, I will make a donation.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pilotguy299

My wife has been fighting breast cancer for 3 years now. It is a very ugly disease.
It started in her right breast and now it has spread to 5 other parts of her body

Thank you for your post.

dd :patriot:

dirtdobber,

I am so sorry to read that :(

Your wife and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Ant

Do you have a Pay-Pal account that I can send some money to???? if so can you post it...

Rambo75,

I am sorry I do not have a paypal account, but I really appreciate the offer.

I did go and look at the web site for the event, and it does not look like there is an option to donate via paypal. :(

Ant

As for men, Richard Roundtree (Shaft!) got breast cancer, and made it his job to let other men know, they too can get this cancer, even though it is rare.

All I know is I have some women folk I care about got it, and it help kill my mom (she was so weakened by the chemo they had to stop it early, and then it came back in her bones...she lasted 6 months, to Thanksgiving weekend, 1995)
Beastie Boy,

I am so sorry about your mom. It is a terrible disease in all of its forms.

I hope to see you on the ride since you are in the area :)

Ant

Both my great grandmother and my grandmother had breast cancer. My mother had kidney cancer and had the kidney removed. I have a friend that's a retired Navy Chief which informed me that men can have breast cancer.....he had breast cancer himself. If I can, I will make the ride. If not, I will make a donation.
Lamaybl5711,

It's a bit of a hike from where you are to Maryland, but i really appreciate your trying to make the ride! I hope to see you there too :)

Ant

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
During this holiday weekend, please consider making a small donation towards the fight against breast cancer.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is a young lady on one of the other forums I frequent who just made a donation to the fight against breast cancer.

I felt I had to share this because right now she is going through a battle with cancer, and yet still goes out of her way to help others when she can.

I am just in awe of her and i think it speaks to her character.

Thank you Kat, you are a very classy person!

Ant

http://www.rideacrossmaryland.org/participant/lc

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK guys, I really need all of the support I can get...

Earlier this year a co-worker of mine received the sad news that their sister had been diagnosed with breast cancer. I saw the pain that it caused for my co-worker, and easily imagined how much pain their sister and the whole family was going through. It is heart breaking to know that an energetic young woman, a great mom with small children at home, would have to deal with something like this so early on in her life.

As a way of trying to show support for my co-worker and the family, I have registered to participate in the June 2011 Ride Across Maryland. The Ride Across Maryland is a motorcycle ride to Maryland destinations, to raise money for breast cancer research. The primary designee is the Komen for a Cure, MD Affiliate. In their 10 years of holding the event, they have donated over $2 million and have become the largest 3rd party fundraiser for Komen in the world!

If you are a motorcycle rider, I ask that you consider participating in the Ride Across Maryland on June 4, 2011. If you are not a motorcycle rider or unable to participate, I ask that you please consider supporting this worthy cause and make a small donation. Although we are all feeling the pinch in these tough economic times, if each one of us made a $5.00 donation to the event, we could make a huge difference in fight against breast cancer.

If you are interested in making a donation, you can do so online at: http://www.rideacrossmaryland.org/participant/lc. For those interested in participating in the event, you can go to the same web page and click on “Register Now” to sign up for the ride. If you know anyone who is a motorcycle rider, please let them know about this event and encourage them to participate or provide their support.

:choppersm

·
X Virgin
5,221 Posts
On the bright side which you don't hear often enough, my mother is a 43 year breast cancer survivor. She got it in 1968 with 5 children 4-16 at home :icon_surp
She counselled for the Cancer Society for years with a simple message; life doesn't automatically end with breast cancer. These days, she walks in the Relay for Life and gets a standing O on the survivor lap every year...

What she marvels at is that we're still using chemo and radiation to fight cancer in 2011...and mammography for detection with so many false positives and missed diagnosis...

Thanks for riding for them all

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We will be there in spirit.My wife and I are big on helping all breast cancers functions here within our riding limit.
I got 2 years melanoma free!
DaBear1950,

Thank you very much for your support. I am happy to read that you and your wife participate in these events when you can. Thank you for being part of the solution! :choppersm

I am so glad you are melanoma free for the past two years! Hopefully this terrible disease never touches either of us, or anyone we care about again :)

On the bright side which you don't hear often enough, my mother is a 43 year breast cancer survivor. She got it in 1968 with 5 children 4-16 at home :icon_surp
She counselled for the Cancer Society for years with a simple message; life doesn't automatically end with breast cancer. These days, she walks in the Relay for Life and gets a standing O on the survivor lap every year...

What she marvels at is that we're still using chemo and radiation to fight cancer in 2011...and mammography for detection with so many false positives and missed diagnosis...

Thanks for riding for them all

wngd,

I am so happy to hear that about your mom. It is good to hear about the survivors of this terrible disease, especially those that go out of their way to help others who are going through it too. Your mom sounds like an amazing woman!

Please tell I said thank you for what she has done to help others :icon_hug::icon_hug::icon_hug:

Anthony

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
my wife is in charge of the local relay for life chapter (her last year, she's done it for 5 years now and will be handing off the realms at this years event) but we have and will always contribute to the cause...my grandfather (dad's side) and grandmother (mom's side) both died with cancer....great post

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
I'm going to apologize for my "allergic reaction" towards breast cancer awareness in advance.

Over 50000 people will die of seizures and related causes this year. Patients with epilepsy have a mortality rate two to three times more than that of the general population, and their risk of sudden death is 24 times greater.

Fact: Epilepsy in America is as common as breast cancer. There are more than twice as many people with epilepsy in the USA as the number of people with cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy, multiple sclerosis, and cystic fibrosis combined.

Over 3 MILLION Americans suffer from it!

Now guess how well the search for a cure is funded?

Five times LESS funding for research than breast cancer.

I'm really trying not to be an ass, but if someone knocks on my door one more time and gives me crap about being a "bad citizen" for not wanting to support breast cancer awareness and at the same time STEPS BACK when they hear my kid has epilepsy, thinking it's some contagious disease I think I'm going to go postal.

Breast cancer for the most part can be caught in advance by being pro-active: Watch what you eat and drink, excercise, and so forth.

Anything you can be pro-active about with Epilepsy? Nope. It hits you out of the blue and you're screwed for life.

Last but not least, there is a new population at increased risk of developing Epilepsy: Veterans of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan who have suffered serious traumatic brain injury.

But yeah, let's all keep worrying about breast cancer, commonly the aftermath of a certain lifestyle...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts