Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you who ride in farm country have noticed it is time that we are busy in the fields, and more often than not, on the roads to and from the fields. Please be safe. Just heard this morning on the radio of a fatal motorcycle accident wtihin a block of my home. My neighbor and family friend was crossing the road with a tractor and haybine when a motorcycle struck the haybine. Rider was a local as well, but I didn't recognize the name. Tractor driver was a firefighter, as were the two closest neighbors to the scene, who were likely on the scene within minutes as first responders. Rider was pronounced DOA at the local hospital, with severe head and chest injuries. It sounded like a helmet would not have helped. Not many more details were given, but I can give two comments on the scene of the wreck. One: there is poor visibility from the direction the tractor was crossing. Two: the road the bike was on is commonly used for hot-rodding, being just a block from a T-intersection. I don't know if either of these were a factor, and I will let the LEO's place blame where needed.
Please ride safe.

·
Really OLD FART Member
5,197 Posts
We USED TO BE all country out here. Now we mark the boundary between the new suburbs and rural country.

Yeah...I know beans, cotton and corn are now all in around us...where there's no swamps, they farm.

It can get a bit crazy in the late summer when they start harvesting the cotton...like a freaking blizzard all over the road!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Sad news indeed. 30 miles of my 60 mile round trip commute each day is through farm land. Have definetly seen an increase of tractors on the roads and in the fields the last week or so.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Ride Smart and safe will follow......

·
Really OLD FART Member
5,197 Posts
Around here you can come around a turn and a bale of hay may be sitting in the middle of the road.

Always take care in farm country and slow down
THAT reminds me...here in the South, be REALLY be careful of Canteloups and Watermelons on the road as farmers around here OVERload these old ratty trailers and they fall off at almost every curve!

:eek: Canteloups carcasses are especially slippery!!!

...and hard to clean off as it dries on your bike. :(

Also, here in South Carolina, trailers are NOT required to have tail or brake lights as long as they stay off Interstates, so you have no freaking idea what they might be up to ahead! :confused:

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I use to commute to work through farm land....I'd go around the traffic by taking the back roads and would really push the speed with my pick up. Learned to slow down by having some tractors come out of the fields as I approached and made me realize that had I been a bit closer, I would have benn seriously injured if not killed. Had I been on a bike, I'm sure it would have happend. Ride safe everyone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts