Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
The Wanderer
6,665 Posts
Pretty graphic alright.
I don't drink, drug or smoke anymore, probably half the people in that video didn't either and it didn't help them.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
even if you are one of the safe drivers out there.... it only takes an instant for a drunk or reckless driver to take everything you love away.... please be safe and please be attentive over the holidays...

God bless!

Mike

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
that's some nasty video, it couldnt get much more graphic. it tells me, "PEOPLE, DRIVE AWARE, DEFENSIVELY, AND SAFELY BECAUSE OTHERS ARENT!"

·
Erect Member
11,583 Posts
thanks for posting ed...if it helps change even just one persons decision, then it made a difference. we all have loved ones on the roads...and none of us want them hurt

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Thanks for posting this Ed; a good reminder that drinking/riding while intoxicated is playing "Russian Roulette", not only with your life but with the life of others.

What is really ironic is that all this can be prevented; if you drink, don't drive/ride; have a designated driver; call someone to pick you up; call a cab/taxi, (many cities/communities sponsor free cab/taxi rides during the holidays); take possession of car/bike keys from those who will consuming alcoholic beverages.

Bottom line for all our brothers and sisters, be safe and don't let alcohol ruin your holidays, your life and the life of others.:patriot:

VTX Riders don't let other riders ride/drive drunk! :mosh:

·
Certified Biotch!
7,165 Posts
Was a Paramedic for 14 years, seen it first hand wayyyyyyyy to many times....I don't drink or do any type of drugs, but who knows what the person next to me is doing or using....They need to crack down on Drunk Driving and start punishing these people with just more than taking their DL for 6 months....I don't know if any of you watch Tru-Tv and watch the real court cases, but they just covered the Jim Leyritz's (NY Yankee hero) trial.His trial was for drunk driving...he crashed and killed a 30 y/o woman, however she was intoxicated also...but he was set free only charged with a DUI....6 months DL suspension...
I mean granted she was intoxicated also, but she paid the ultimate price for her mistake, he walks out smiling with nothing more than a DUI...:nope::nope:

However, I am always shocked at the posts and threads I see on here where some have been to the bar had a few drinks and go out and hop on their bikes and head home or head to another bar..I will be nice and not give my true opinion of it on here....but I am pretty sure you can figure it out...The drunk drivers will never stop if there is no punishment handed to them...

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Working with the Fire Dept. I've seen the results myself. Like nObody, I'm not going to give my true feelings, but I've never understood how the courts can be so leniant on some and so hard on others.

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
I survived a drunk driver while on my way home from work. I had back and neck surgery while he never got a scratch from a totally wrecked van he was in. The video was very graphic but a drunk won't care and there's way to prepare for a drunk either. I don't drink and don't have any use for someone who over drinks and crawls behind the wheel.

·
Registered
424 Posts
In 2001 I was hit badly. Like bear said the driver never got scratched.... I paid a heavy price for her bad choices. I'm glad you posted the ad. I could not finish watching, and my hands are still shaking. Did not expect that after this much time. Please be careful everyone. DD

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Thank you for posting....This is why my wife and I volunteer to be the designated drivers for our local law enforcement annual holiday party....we offer to pick them up before and drive them home....it is a long evening (going until 3am) before everyone is dropped at thier front door....

·
Registered
41 Posts
...probably half the people in that video didn't either and it didn't help them.
Neither do I, it just shows that you don't have to consume to be infected.
i'm sure there are many folks on this site that don't drunk, don't do drugs...i feel the point of the video is a deterent to those tempted to imbibe, take a drug or that are fatigued to think about their actions.

it is obviously being effective in victoria, australia as they have reduced their fatalies since the start of this type of commercial. but, you won't see this video here...too graphic. it would offend someone's delicate nature. then again, there's no action on the part of law enforcement or communities to back it up. just like stated above...judges look for the easy answer. the lady was drunk too so she's just as much to blame for someone else's action that lead to her death.

i truly believe that it is difficult to change someone's actions or habits. heck, everyone that drinks can hold their liquor...right? but, in victoria, they are backing up the commercials, so drunks and druggie do, to a certain extent, have to look over their shoulder.

the value i see with the video in the us would be that it looks to forewarn the ones that have done nothing wrong. marty's right...half the folks did nothing, but still paid the price.

each of us being riders know the value of being very proactive when we ride. there lies the value of this video. let even the sober, non-addicted, well-rested driver be warned that there's danger out there.

a common estimate in the field of psychology is that 1 in every 10 people have some type of mental health issue...depression all the way up to schizophrenia. i review health histories everyday of people taking xanax, valium and such just so they can cope with their lives. it's scary the numbers. add to that folks who are just in a hurry, angry, frustrated, cell phones, texting, and we haven't mentioned alcohol, recreational drugs or fatigue.

so, i've been happy to pass this video on to several friends.

well, tac did several commercials. there were 3 targeted at motorcycles. here are their links...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRpNirJfuzs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7xOPTBaTbY&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmufqEW7Gtw&feature=channel

·
Pie liker/Snow Hater
9,911 Posts
Just saw this thread Ed. Oh my!

1986, I had a favorite cousin that was on her way to pick up her daughter (my age) from work. She had a late 70's early 80's Honda Civic. (One of them tiny ones.) While sitting at a stop light, a 1973 Chevy Caprice (piloted by a drunk driver) hit her in the rear at 85mph. ...I no longer have a cousin. Her daughter no longer has a Mom. :(

Thanks for posting Ed. Might Facebook this one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts