Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and Merry christmas to everyone.
I'm looking for a fast and easy way too polish alu. wheels.
Anyone have a good suggestion?

·
Registered
424 Posts
There are a few threads on this here that I've seen over the past six months. However The opinions mostly seem to boil down to Mothers -Turtle wax chrome/metal polish and semichrome polish. I personally like the turtle wax and have had really good results using that with a finish coat of Meguires pure carnuba #57 Marine/RV wax. One good job in the spring lasts through almost a whole summer of road crud, washing, and quick cleanups. Both the other options, while not my personal choice have a loyal following and will also do a fine job. My 2 cent. Best of luck. D Day

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
White Diamond polish was recommended to me. I havent tried it yet though. It's available at Advance Auto parts. My rims have some staining on them so I'm planning on taking them off , polishing them with .0000 steel wool and then buffing them out. I'll get to that along with a couple of other projects after the holidays.

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Anybody have good pictures of their polished rims?

·
Banned
3,042 Posts
I agree with the mothers power ball or cone, but i use a product called Flitz, pricey but i have better results with it. Can be purchased at NAPA.

·
Registered
706 Posts
If you mean producing a mirror finish then there is no easy or fast way. The stock rims are single tool finished meaning they have a groove that must be polihed out and this takes some doing. The power ball will remove most of the oxidation. Semichrome will give a really good final polish then protect with a wax.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Well... the words "easy" and "polish" rarely go together well kinda like oil & water.
For true polished wheels it involves stages of sand paper & buffing along with a lot of time & patients. (looks great but I'm sure not going that route)

I agree with everyone on the mothers power ball & polish being a great alternative to sand paper and they turn out pretty nice.
(I don't have any pics, but I'm sure someone does)

P.S. Welcome to the Cafe & Merry Xmas to you to

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Are we taling about just making them shinier, or a true polishing job??..A Mother's Powerball and some good aluminum polish will shine them up decent...But a true polish job involves sanding with progressivley finer grits of sandpaper, then following that with different polishing compounds....There are no shortcuts...You want the best finish, it takes time and alot of hard work...

·
Deactivated Account
218 Posts
Good old-fashioned Brasso and good old-fashion hard work. If you've been in the armed services, you will understand the application. hehe.

·
Premium Member
3,915 Posts
Fast and easy way? :rolleyes:

·
WTF, Over!
8,338 Posts
It is my experience as well that there is no "fast & easy" way to nice wheels, short of taking them to someone, dropping them off, and returning later to pick them up...

I wash the rest of the bike before I do the wheels.

This year, I started using 0000 steel wool with White Diamond or Flitz on the wheels (I got a 2 lb can of Flitz at an Estate Sale for $5...a $50 can, full); then I use Flitz or White Diamond by itself; then I Wash and Dry and Wax them...two wheels takes me all darn day, or so it seems. Then I ride to dry off all hidden areas where water may be hiding.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Make a paste of jewlers rough and kerosene and buff away!

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I have been useing Blue Magic. It is a rubing/polishing compound that has silicone in it. It creates a smooth finish that dirt doesn't stick to. I use it on every none painted piece on the bike, plastic and metal. My 2 cents

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Stump I will give ya a call this coming week, I hope I can remember. Need a set of wheels to help with the major changes I am doing to the X

1 - 20 of 30 Posts