16,458 Posts
Sweet!

Reactions: ironmk

·
Registered
8,282 Posts
a wheel truing jig...

first time, its LONG hard Work
do it once a year... an hour or 2... for the wheels.

I have the type II, when bike was one year old..
I block sanded the flat areas of rims .. to remove the machining marks
the power buffed, then hand polished..

I do the wheels, front Fork triple trees, lower fork legs, handlebar levers, master cylinders, lettering on the brake calipers. turn signal mounts, rear fender rails.
every year.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Can you detail your process? Did you start with 220, and work through to 1000. Did you power buff or hand buff, what did you use for compound. After polishing, did you have tiny black spots where the oxides were, or did you sand deep enough to get them out.

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,452 Posts
Can you detail your process? Did you start with 220, and work through to 1000. Did you power buff or hand buff, what did you use for compound. After polishing, did you have tiny black spots where the oxides were, or did you sand deep enough to get them out.
Look up white diamond polish and use 0000 steel wool. No wheel rig required just some elbow grease. It's a couple hours at least first time but yearly touch up goes much faster.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I use a truing stand and harbor freight buffer and an old mower deck belt. First pass 400 grit then 800,1500,3000,5000, 0000 steel wool with polishing compound to finish with 0000 and White Diamond. I have right angle drill to use on the “spokes” to keep from loosing a finger and all steps but polishing I use water to keep from loading up the sand papers. It’s not a chrome finish but darn near it!! It can be done by hand but I think the machines help achieve a much nicer result for me.

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts