Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
From ID, GO VANDALS!
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On The Sabre Forum that I belong to, we have a topic called: Post Your Today's Ride Photo

So, I thought I might give it a go here on the Cafe.

Yesterday my wife and I took a ride up to my Grandma's house in Cottonwood for a family lunch, it is about 50 miles from home. The kiddos followed us in my son's new to him '86 MR2.
Six years ago I took my Grandma for a ride on my Sabre, everyone was amazed that she would ride with me at that age (88 years young). Since we were there I asked if she would like to go for a ride on the VTX. She politely declined, citing the difficulty she would have getting on this bike because it is so big. I didn't push the issue. But, she did insist on getting a picture together as "It is a very beautiful motorcycle."

Signature2.jpg
2012 Grandma was 88

Grandma 2018.jpg
2018 Grandma is 94

It was a great day spent with family and a fun ride. I know that if we could have convinced her to get on, that she would have loved the ride. :choppersm

·
WTF, Over!
8,338 Posts
Sounds like you have an amazing granny!

·
my toes, my line
4,095 Posts
On The Sabre Forum that I belong to, we have a topic called: Post Your Today's Ride Photo

So, I thought I might give it a go here on the Cafe.

Yesterday my wife and I took a ride up to my Grandma's house in Cottonwood for a family lunch, it is about 50 miles from home. The kiddos followed us in my son's new to him '86 MR2.
Six years ago I took my Grandma for a ride on my Sabre, everyone was amazed that she would ride with me at that age (88 years young). Since we were there I asked if she would like to go for a ride on the VTX. She politely declined, citing the difficulty she would have getting on this bike because it is so big. I didn't push the issue. But, she did insist on getting a picture together as "It is a very beautiful motorcycle."

View attachment 191589
2012 Grandma was 88

View attachment 191591
2018 Grandma is 94

It was a great day spent with family and a fun ride. I know that if we could have convinced her to get on, that she would have loved the ride. :choppersm
Hiya Granny!

·
From ID, GO VANDALS!
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have to say, I am diggin the brown seat and bags. That definitely sets you apart from others. Not sure I could pull it off with the blue... but maybe. :hmm2:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thanks for the compliment! I really like the brown Mustang seat too. I'm looking to change the saddle bags as the one I have now are worn out and are falling apart at the seams. In the previous owner clearly didn't take care of them very well.
Brown saddlebags in general are very hard to come by. I found one pair I really like but unfortunately I have to order it from the US. Of weird things online in the past from the US and have been hit with boys and that's not taking into account the exchange rate as well.. but unfortunately if I don't find what I want to guess I'll bite the bullet and pay that premium..

·
From ID, GO VANDALS!
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I recall from an earlier thread you were looking at the Viking Bags. I have them on my VTX, had Saddleman bags on my Shadow. I like the locking lids on the Viking Bags and the internal structure seems to be more rigid, my other bags got floppy after a number of years of use. Where are you located?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have attached a screenshot of the bags I'm looking for. It's not the ones that are attached that you just throw over the fender and put the back pillion over it.
it's actually do individual bags that come with the brackets and bolt on on each side. Here's an image of them let me know what you think or if you have any other alternative suggestions..

Attachments

·
From ID, GO VANDALS!
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like the double buckle slanted bags, mine are a similar model from Viking and are the individual/hard mounted bags as well. The brackets that they include are pretty good. I had to do some mods to make mine mount on the N with the backrest, but nothing to major, just drill and tap a couple of holes.

·
Too short for my weight
5,316 Posts
I like the double buckle slanted bags, mine are a similar model from Viking and are the individual/hard mounted bags as well. The brackets that they include are pretty good. I had to do some mods to make mine mount on the N with the backrest, but nothing to major, just drill and tap a couple of holes.
That’s what I have, but in black....

·
From ID, GO VANDALS!
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your 1800 looks like it has another air cleaner on the left side. I guess it hides the fuel pump? Mine does not have that (2002).
Still learning about the 1800s.
That is the coolant overflow reservoir, my 2005 N model has the same thing. The chrome cover comes off to reveal the plastic burp tank. Must be located somewhere else on the 1300.. not sure on the older 1800.

·
Registered
236 Posts
That's actually the coolant reservoir. If you unscrew the metal part the coolant reservoir is Right there. I kind of like that idea simply because it adds more detail to the left side that on most bikes usually tends to be a bit boring as of the pipes are on the right side with the air cleaner.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Your 1800 looks like it has another air cleaner on the left side. I guess it hides the fuel pump? Mine does not have that (2002).
Still learning about the 1800s.
Yours has the expansion tank way down behind the engine, with the fill behind the left side cover. It's super convenient, and you'll never spill a drop of antifreeze trying to fill it. Nope, never.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yours has the expansion tank way down behind the engine, with the fill behind the left side cover. It's super convenient, and you'll never spill a drop of antifreeze trying to fill it. Nope, never.
Yep. Baker our coolant tanks are right there by the rectifier, the filler is under the left side of the seat. I used a small flexible hose funnel to fill mine, didn't lose a drop. :)

·
From ID, GO VANDALS!
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My long time buddy traded in his Ultra Limited for a brand new 2018 Road Glide yesterday. So today we road to Cranbrook BC from our home in Lewiston. First time to Canada on a motorcycle. First long trip on the X for both me and the Mrs. Tomorrow we plan to ride the 3A. Then home Sunday.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
About this Discussion
94 Replies
23 Participants
henkvdb
Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum
VTX Cafe Forum is for owners of Honda VTX 1300 or VTX 1800. Join this community to discuss mods, specs, parts & more!
Full Forum Listing