Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm new to the VTX cafe and I have a question.
There is a code a series of beeps when the ignition switch is turned on. This is used in trouble shooting the VTX1800.
When changing to a power commander is this enabled?

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
No beeps that I'm aware of. The FI light can blink 'in code' at start up for self diagnostics. This is a 'Honda' feature and is not affected by the installation of a PC.

Welcome to the Cafe!

·
Registered
368 Posts
The stock Honda has no "beeps", there is something else on the bike.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm looking to add cobra slip ons to the already installed Hi Five on my 2008 1800T. The power commander site says I need a part of Oxygen Optimizer kits? What are these for and do I really need them. To confuse things further there is an EX version.
What is really needed to make this baby sing in the spring?

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
You'll want a PCIII, not the EX version (unless you plan on moving to California sometime soon!)

Oxygen Optimizer,,, website says: Oxygen Optimizers needed for California and some overseas models,,,,

Unless your bike was made specifically for California or the overseas market (Doubtful) ya don't need 'em.

Yeah, I also see on the PC website where it says F, N and R bikes require 'em,,,, Bull shorts! ONLY if the bike was made for Cali or (some) oversea's.

Got a PCIII equipped 07 F just up the street, no O2 eliminators (same thing as an optimizer, different name) needed on it as it's a 49 state VTX

Here in the US, there are '49 state' VTX's and 'Cali' VTX's. Cali bikes have O2 sensors in the exhaust, 49'ers don't.California and some oversea's models - 2 Optimizers Required

Power Commander III USB 122-411

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
If you have O2 sensors you'll be able to see them on the backside of the pipes and the wiring too.
It would be a good idea to look for 'em, just in case you somehow ended up with a Cali bike. It's a slim chance, but,,,,

The 1800's are 'few and far between' now, and if you purchased one new in the last year, it may have been shipped in from ?????

They actually had 2 Cali 18's here at a Houston dealer this last spring,,,, :confused:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yup. There are O2 sensors in the stock mufflers. Just ordered the Cobra slip on's and power commander. so It looks like I'll need those O2 sensors after all.

·
Official Fuddy Duddy
1,756 Posts
If you don't have a Cali model, you can plug the 02 sensor holes with bolts. I bought a new Rinehart set of pipes and those bolts were included but not installed until I received them.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Correct, on a 49 st bike, the PCIII itself should not cause your bike to throw any codes.
On a CA bike, if you are running a PCIII w/an exhaust w/ functional O2 sensors, there is the possibility it can throw a code.

If the OEM pipes contained O2 sensors and you disconnect/remove them w/o utlilizing 'optimizers', you will throw a code.

·
Registered
5 Posts
o2 sensor

I just had cobra pipes installed on my 1800 and I am getting a FI warning light. I am told that because my bike is a California model I need to get two o2 sensors. My question is will this make the warning light turn off. No other mods have been made to the bike at this time. I rode the bike home and I am not getting any backfire so far. My other question is this, would it be harmeful to ride the bike until I get the o2 sensors installed and is any other mods necessary. Any info would be helpful. Thanks

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
I just had cobra pipes installed on my 1800 and I am getting a FI warning light. I am told that because my bike is a California model I need to get two o2 sensors.

You need 2 'optimizers' listed in the link above. They plug into the bikes O2 sensor wires instead of the O2 sensors themselves. (No need for any O2 sensors after that)

My question is will this make the warning light turn off.

If you have a OEM CA bike that does not have an exhaust with 2 functional O2 sensors installed and connected, plugging an optimizer into each of the bikes O2 wiring 'plugs' will correct the issue.

No other mods have been made to the bike at this time. I rode the bike home and I am not getting any backfire so far. My other question is this, would it be harmeful to ride the bike until I get the o2 optimizers installed

No.

and is any other mods necessary. Any info would be helpful. Thanks
No other mods required unless there is more to the story than what I'm seeing. :choppersm

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a seat of pipes v&h they have place for oxygen sensor anyway to fix bike lags bad put bolt in hole bike is non 02sensor bike

·
Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
Considering the age of this thread, I recommend that you start a new thread in which you ask your question. I also recommend that you give more detail. For example, what bolt and hole are you talking about? I am confused. A better description of your problem and question will elicit better responses. Good luck.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
663 Posts
Was there a question in there ? Sounded pretty incoherent to me. It sounds like he plugged the O2 sensor bungs in his pipes with bolts, which is what any sensible person would do with a 49 state VTX1800 without O2 sensors, and an exhaust system with wide open O2 sensor bungs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts