Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what's your pre-ride checklist?

and what do you have on hand at home for this checklist.

we've read about the 100 mph ride on 8 psi. it took me a week after i got my bike to figure out inflating the tires...my gauge was a straight, digital one and would not fit. my compressor had a 45 degree angle chuck which also did not work.

so what's important to your before a ride and how do you check or insure a safe operating machine?

·
Certified Biotch!
7,165 Posts
I am the world's worst about this kinda thing, however I do always check the tire pressure and look over my tires constantly..thats about all I do, I figure I have been riding 22 years and it has worked so far why change it now!!

:choppersm

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I check the tire pressure and the tires.
I also (as the 1300 doesn't have a fuel guage) open the tank and have a look just to make sure.
As I am in a garage, I turn on the lights and check the signals as its very easy to see the reflections on the door and the wall. Other than that, I pull it out of the garage and then go and finalize dressing (gloves, helmet, jacket) and do a walk around during this.
On the tires. We did a charity ride (ran Blocking for a walkathon) and as we sat in the parking lot waiting, we were commenting on each others rides. One of the members just bought a new '07 (this was 2010 so it had sat for at least 3 years at the dealers) and had put 2000 miles on it in about 2 weeks. I was looking at his fairing mounts and noticed this front tire had cracks all around the entire tire. He had not seen this and admitted he had never checked. He did the ride as it was very low speed and then I trailed his ride home for him (it was about 60 miles away).
There is no telling when that tire would have failed and no way to determine how badly he and others may have been hurt.
A quick circle check of your ride can truly save you a lot of pain and possibly yours and others lives.
I'll stop rambling now.
:cheers:

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I know it should be done, but I rarely do it. Most the time I think about it is when I haven't ridden in a couple of days and as I'm rolling down the road I think "Man I should have done a pre-ride check". I know that's not the right way to do it but like I said, I usually don't think about it. I do check my tires frequently though due to frequent nails and the temperature changes.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I check the tire pressure and the condition of the tires as well as my lighting IE: headlights, turn signals and brake lights prior to each ride. I also visually check the brake fluid level indicators on both reservoirs prior to each ride.

Every couple of days I will check the oil level, by warming the bike up and letting it sit, then checking the oil level as shown in the owners manual at this time I also check the coolant level.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ditto on the tires, but I also check my windshield, side covers, back seat, travel-bag, highway pegs (they tend to loosen up), and give the bike a shake to gauge how much go-juice I got. I remove the shield and back seat quite often, so that's why they get looked over. I keep a tire gauge, allen wrenches, and a small crescent wrench in the tool compartment.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
My pre-ride checks are done all the time, whenever I am near my bike in the garage. I'll check the tires,start it and check all lights, look for leaks of all types, adjust and tighten any thing that may need it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have a question about tires. How do you tell when it is time to change the tires? On a car you use the penny trick but what checks do you do on a motorcycle?:choppersm

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I had heard that the penny was replace by a dime since it was higher up thus more depth present. Remember, a penny into tread grooves and if part of Lincoln's head is just covered by the tread, you ONLY have about 2/32" of tread depth remaining. Most places consider 7/32 a safe level and anything less could cause you grief. Realizing they may be trying to sell tires sooner...I consider something between 4 or 5/32nds a time to consider new tires....especially on a bike.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Take a look at your tire. In-between the tread grooves there is a wear bar that runs side to side in the groove. any time you hit this bar level to the raised tread the tire is considered to be unusable for the public road. If a officer of da law wants to be a pr*ck he can write for unsafe equipment at that point ( all dot tires have this). On a side note I run them just a little more, case in point:

Had it been the normal 115* days it would have ended with a trailer ride but it was cooler then normal. There was maybe 15 more miles left in it.

·
Old Rider, newer VTX
185 Posts
My X is my daily ride. I do a walk around while loading my "stuff" and check for flats as I back out of the garage.:D

I try to do a detailed check on the weekend...tire pressure, fluids, etc.

On longer trips (out of town) I check before leaving.

·
team VTX cafe physician
14,396 Posts
mine is sorta like big country! I do make sure the lights work, that means there's juice in the battery.......I do check the odometer for miles to know how far before I need gas......on long trips I do check the tires and oil.......and sometimes put the tender on for the battery.......clean the windshield......make sure the grips are secure.......look at the potential screws that may fall off.....and go!!

·
WTF, Over!
8,338 Posts
I eye-ball the tires, check for any leaks or such, lose cables/wires and then start her and go...unless I am in a hurry to get rolling. Then I eye-ball tires and go.

·
Premium Member
10,101 Posts
Guys and gals, don't forget to check the brake light, both front and rear brakes. I told y'all a while back that I had a young lady sitting sideways in her car trying to stop behind me at stop sign. Well, a few days later, I was inspecting my bike and the brake light wasn't working. I found the switch on front brake defective. My dealer gave me a new one on warranty. Bike presently has 19,000 miles on it. Wishing all a nice day.

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
Once a week, I will check everything. Tire Pressure, examine the tires, check lights, check for leaks, check oil level.. Everything.

But.. Daily, usually hop on and go.

-Gonz

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
I have a question about tires. How do you tell when it is time to change the tires? On a car you use the penny trick but what checks do you do on a motorcycle?:choppersm
i use a tire tread gage, you can pick it up at most parts stores for around $5 bucks....but i've had mine for many years because of owning tractor trailers and doing a lot of my own maint.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts