Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
His Excellency
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok everyone. I’m new to motorcycles and just staring to ride. I really do not have any gear at this time. So I guess it is time to start as it is time for me to go to the visit my eye doc and get my eyes checked (it’s been like 5 yrs). First of all my regular eye doc has been great with my regular glasses and my prescription has been unchanged for the past 10 yrs. I just need new frames and lenses because of scratches and stuff.

So, I have a few questions and requests about prescription eyewear. I Googled it and got a slew of places that make prescription riding eyewear. So I was very confused and like to be an educated and cautious consumer.

These are my thoughts. I will primarily be wearing a half helmet and I want something that looks like sunglasses not goggles. I think I would like two sets of interchangeable prescription lenses. One set would be dark and polarized for daytime and the other set would be amber or clear lenses for nighttime. I would also like a removable and replaceable foam insert for use while driving the cage. Now am I going down the wrong road there? Because, optionally if the price is right I wouldn’t be opposed to getting two pair and nixing the idea of interchangeable lenses as I think about it swapping lenses may be a hassle and may lead to damaging an expensive prescription lens. Auto-darkening lenses annoyed me with a set of regular glasses so I definitely don’t want them while riding.

First who makes such an animal if any and what brands would you recommend. I have been looking at the Bobster products and they may have something that fits that.

Second Does anyone know of any local places that one may be able to test fit these. I live in Salisbury, NC 28146. I don’t want to invest $200+ into something by ordering online and find that they do not fit like I want them to. I’m ok with sending off for the lenses if I know I can get a frame that fits first of all. Are there eye docs or chains that can have these done? I seem to remember reading some other posts about getting some at the eye places in Walmart?

So this leads to my remaining questions. If I find frames that I like the fit of and have to send off for the prescription what should I expect? Please share any experiences you had good or bad doing this. Are there companies or manufacturers that I should avoid? Like I said there where a ton on the internet that had eyewear and claimed to do Rx but without having some hands on with the product it’s really hard to know what you are going to get.

·
Darkside Pastor & Addict
4,151 Posts
FWIW I solved this problem by wearing contacts. I wear one pair of sunglasses and keep the other pair in my jacket pocket.

Pdave

Reactions: ctgoodman

·
His Excellency
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
haven't given much thought to contacts. I've always had a hard time putting the things in though. My eye just doesn't want to stay open while I touch it with my finger. :icon_eek:

·
His Excellency
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am near sighted. I've never looked into Lasik. I heard some stories. All where successful but some said they felt they needed it again or started having to wear glasses again after 3 or so years. What is the process? do they still peel the top layer off your eye to do it? I've heard that for the first few days you feel like you have your eyes full of sand. Care to share your experience, or anyone for that matter?

·
His Excellency
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine is just bad enough that I can't pass the DMV eye test. I can almost get it. they let me try twice before telling me I should put my glasses on. Just the thought of them zapping my eye with a laser just scares me. I know the risk is low and it's a very common procedure now but if something went wrong, that's your eyes.

·
citement
2,236 Posts
Mine is just bad enough that I can't pass the DMV eye test. I can almost get it. they let me try twice before telling me I should put my glasses on. Just the thought of them zapping my eye with a laser just scares me. I know the risk is low and it's a very common procedure now but if something went wrong, that's your eyes.
I look at it this way, I'm going to be wearing some type of glasses when I'm riding anyway, and if your eyes aren't that bad they may tell you what they told me, not bad enough, forget about it.

·
No Reason To Be Serious
16,408 Posts
I too am quite visually challenged... the only way I could solve this problem for me was by having a prescription windshield made out of a Memphis Fats plexi piece.. Now it was expensive, but it works well.. It helps me alot... the only problem is that sometimes at night when I'm riding and a bug or something lands on it, it appears as if it is gigantic.

The first few times it happened it scared the holy bejeez's out of me big time...:eek:

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
I too am quite visually challenged... the only way I could solve this problem for me was by having a prescription windshield made out of a Memphis Fats plexi piece.. Now it was expensive, but it works well.. It helps me alot... the only problem is that sometimes at night when I'm riding and a bug or something lands on it, it appears as if it is gigantic.

The first few times it happened it scared the holy bejeez's out of me big time...:eek:
:rolleyes: Not a serious bone in your body is there Spoiler.:bleh:

I don't wear prescriptions (yet).
But your doctor could probably point you to someone local who could make you a set of lenses for just about any frames you find.

IMHO, I would go with 2 completely different sets for night and day instead of changing lenses. I often switch glasses at a stoplight while on my way into work and the sun is coming up. Kind of hard to be sitting there fumbling with lenses.

I would go with an amber set for night time, much better than clear. They cut the glare and give good contrast.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The precidure is painless, You lay down and they make a cut and flop the top clear layer of your eye over and use a lazer to reshape your eye ball.
flop it back over. give ya some dark glasses to wear for 6 hours and some goggles to ware when you sleep so you don't rub your eyes. and some medicated drops to use for 2 weeks.

You see better instantly! i watched a nascar race when i went home that day!

I opted for Mono vision 1 eye sees up close and one eye is for faraway.
and the near vision eye can see better far away then ever before and spot on up close.This way you don't need ANY glasses.

This should be a option on all medical insurance plans ..it really is a modern day miracle. after wearing glasses for 30 years!

Now all friends cant see shit up close with out glasses and i just smile and read for them.

My current vision is 15/20

check into it, yea there are risks but so is ridding your scooter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I purchased a pair of polarized sunglasses and could hardly see thru my windshield due to all the rainbows in it that the sunglasses caused. Changed back to non-polarized sunglasses and rainbows went away.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Lasik surgery is what i am planning for down the road a bit.....currently i wear contacts and i also hate having to change them out so my eye doctor prescribed Optiva lenses (i think thats the name) i can check the brand if anyone is interested.

These lenses let a lot more oxygen through to the eye and are designed to be slept in for 30 days at a time. The Dr refused to prescribe me the colored lenses again becasue i was supposed to change them out every 2 weeks and not sleep in them at all. I was wearing them for 2 months straight never taking them out and it started to cause some problems so the clear Optiva lenses were the best option for me.

With contacts you can wear whatever glasses you choose and i do a lot around the block stuff here and do not even put my glasses on sometimes for a few blocks and so far i have not had any problems with them drying out yet either on those 3-4 block runs.

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,319 Posts
I wear Rx Bobsters. I ordered some online and they were out of stock and they substituted them with the Bobster Fatboys. I ordered the transition lenses and they are not really dark like sunglasses, but they do get dark.

They fit me real well and they have the foam cell to block out the wind. That is the biggest plus. They do fog up in cooler weather when you are stopped at a light or in a restaurant, but clear right up when you start moving.

As far as local places, I have seen that Walmart carries riding glasses and I'm sure if you went to any optometrist and explained what you are looking for, they could find something for you.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have a pair of ray bans from Sears optical...got a set with dark and a set with clears...work great. Just make sure they don't have seperate nose pieces. Need the ones all molded in the frame. Blocks the air that way. Also, about the rainbows looking through the windshield, you aren't supposed to look through it, just a little over it.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Welcome to the cafe and congrats on being a new rider. So next round is on you. :cheers:

A buddy of mine is an optician so I have been (un)lucky enough to be his guinea pig for a few things. Because I wear progressive lenses, I would not do mail order. How do they know how far apart to place the optic center on each lens. They need measurements for that and that is not listed on the Rx.

My best success were with Oakleys. I had a clear and a sun glass set made. Because of their wrap, it blocked the wind without fogging up. I tried a pair of transition lenses, but they did not get dark enough for me.

I have since switched to contacts and will never go back to glasses unless I have to. The contacts are mono-vision which took a lot of getting used to.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
i wear RX Wiley X...they make all kinds of motorcycle glasses, but were primarily designed to be combat glasses...they are as tough as nails...I have been wearing them fo some time now....if you know your RX you can order them from many online retailers...like optics planet...

I wear the X-1's

Joe

·
Registered
781 Posts
I tried the contacts and just can't wear them. I have a pair of Ray Ban prescriptions that are wrap around style. I bought these specifically for riding and they are great. RB3261 is on the frame. Not sure what it means but looks like a model number to me..

·
IBA #37750
1,813 Posts
Welcome to the cafe from Raleigh, NC

I bought a pair of Bobster Fatboys. I took them to my Eye Dr. and had my personal RX installed in them. I have Progressive bifocals with transitional lenses. I don't have to take them off or switch them from light to dark. The only thing I do each spring is get a new frame set from Bobster for free as the foam insert comes loose after about a year due to sweat. Bobster has a lifetime guarantee and all I have to do is pop out my lenses and insert them into the new frames.

I've been very satisfied with mine.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts