Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was working on my bike yesterday (installing a lightbar) and had my bike up on my work stand and I was hearing a hissing noise almost like someone was spraying a garden hose outside my garage. Turns out it was my left rear shock spewing fluid all over the bike's rear end and onto my garage floor. I took the shock off and it came apart in my hands. The piston rod and top was completely out of what it looks like it screws into (sorry I don't know much about shocks).

The shocks are only 2 months old and have only about 300 miles on them. I'm assuming this is clearly a defect and lack of quality control. I'll be calling Progressive first thing Monday morning to find out what my options are. Anyone ever had something like this happen with these shocks? I've done some searching, and it appears that leaking fluid is not uncommon with these shocks, which doesn't give me the warm fuzzies. I put my stockers back on and might just leave them. I'm not sure I can trust this company after this and I hate to think what could have happened had this occurred during one of my weekend rides up in the mountains vs. in my garage on the stand.

View attachment 24385
View attachment 24386

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Seems like you both might want to consider using some 1800 shocks. I and a few others i know have put 1800 shocks on our 1300s and have been really happy. Just a thought. Bry :mosh:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Called Progressive today and spoke with a technician in their warranty dept. He was very polite and said that my failure is definitely not something they see very often and recommended that I send in both shocks so they can be fully inspected. Got an RMA number and will be shipping them back tomorrow. For now, I'm back to riding on my stockers until I get the Progressive's back. I'll definitely be keeping a very close eye on them though. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts