Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just in case I'm not the last one to make the switch, I just put in my Progressive Springs and took a ride...OMG!

It was everything that everyone had told me and more. Felt like the bike was really riding the road. It was fantastic. Best $90 bucks I have ever spent.

Johnny

·
Retro Rider!
43 Posts
Waiting for mine to come in from phatperformanceparts.com. I also ordered the All Balls neck bearings..

BTW- Phat sells them for under $80 delivered...

·
Registered
260 Posts
... and directline sold them for 70.99 this past weekend..

·
Cary Grant
292 Posts
Welcome to the real MC experience! Now go out and ride!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Still the best $90.00 mod you can make. Mine will go in this coming Sunday while I'm jconrad2's home.........

·
Registered
4 Posts
I converted my forks several months back and also installed All Balls head bearings. I went a step further. As I looked at the Progressive spring specs, I found a set with the same physical size but different weight specs, a bit stiffer, and opted for those since I am a larger rider. The best money I've spent so far. I found by talking to several people, that the 1300's, and maybe others have a head bearing issue. Due to the type of bearing and the bike geometry, it is prone to fork shimmy on the road. Mine would start at around 35-40 mph. All Balls bearings did the trick, no more shimmy.

Also, I found out from a local shop, that the rear wheel flange (#6 on the online parts list from Babbitt's), for the final drive is slightly tapered from Honda, it shouldn't be, and they have a square bearing instead of a taper bearing. This is part the reason the VTX has rear bearing issues as well. One fix is to take the flange to your local machine shop and have it squared up. This is the case with my 2005. Don't take my words a gospel, PLEASE, check with a shop you trust. My shop says they found out by calling All Balls and speaking with one of their engineers.

·
Senior Member - 99%er
650 Posts
... and directline sold them for 70.99 this past weekend..
Rats! I bought them $75 shipped off VTXoa.

Waiting for mine to come in from phatperformanceparts.com. I also ordered the All Balls neck bearings..
QUOTE]
I would love to watch you put them in to learn or I put mine in a the same time with you. I'm not much of a wrencher though I'm learning slowly. Let me know if that's not too forward.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
With all the hype I guess I was expecting way to much from making the switch to progressive springs, but I didn't find the switch was really worth much. It did help with nose diving a little while stopping (still does it though) and it did make it stiffer, stiffer to the point that it's more of a jolt than working suspension on some rough roads.

Granted Michigan has some pretty screwed up roads, and I haven't flushed out the forks yet & put in fresh oil. But... I know fresh oil won't make a night & day difference because I've done it on my other bikes before. It might be because I have a C and most who seem to like it so much have R & S's, but on a scale of 1 to 10 on if the springs were worth the money spent I'd have to give them a 3 or 4

·
Registered
706 Posts
Rats! I bought them $75 shipped off VTXoa.

QUOTE]
I would love to watch you put them in to learn or I put mine in a the same time with you. I'm not much of a wrencher though I'm learning slowly. Let me know if that's not too forward.
They are just a drop in the adjust the oil level replacement unless you change out the fork oil too. Take care no to cross thread or round off the caps.

Had bearings are more challenging and you need a press for the stem. You can do the rest with simple tools made from Washers and long construction bolts. Check out my post it is in the 1800 side (oops) for the removal tool. Use the bolts and washers to pull in the steering head races top and bottom. The old outer races are tappered and can be used with a washer on top against the all balls . A simple spanner can be cobbled up from a plumbing wrench intended for plastic pipe fittings. I have a pic of that and it works fine. Check my posts for the pic. No big deal.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Progressives do NOT work for everyone.I have had mine in for about 500 miles and I hate them.First off,with the new neck bearings,the steering is so sensitive.the progressives being tighter,in a 60 mpg curve,if you have dips in the road,the steering will bobble back and forth..the faster you are,the worse it is.I had him tighten them up some..it helped a little..but this friday im going back to my oem springs.Adios Progressive.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Glad you like them.
Now to make it even better.
Metzlers 880's will make that much more differance.
AllBall Roller bearings
4" risers
Ultimate lowrider seat
and the list goes on----
:patriot:
Donut

·
Registered
989 Posts
See, I have read reviews where riders have gone progressive front and rear, only to have a harder ride and a stiffer suspension. The nosedive effect is gone.

I gotta tell you, I like the way my X rides. Heck, I want it to ride softer. The nosedive doesnt really bother me and I really dont notice it as much.

At this point in time, I would not go progressive, at least until I had a chance to experience them firsthand, as thats some coin to shell out only to find out they did not work.

I think I'm going to change the fork oil and do as CharlieD did and go to a 7wt oil.

Also I am thinking about going with shocks for an 1800, be it for a C or N.

I feel going that way will at least compliment my ride and might make it even softer yet.

·
Registered
260 Posts
ok mine is an 1800R and i guess i am always curious when someone doesn't like them i want to know how much they weigh...

Front fork springs are no question, would love to check them out on someones bike in ohio but i think it is a no brainer.

Rear shocks are subjective, i called progressive and had a lengthy conversation about them, it all depends what you go with which will determine soft or hard ride but weight also comes into play..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts