Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a used 06 VTX1300S and have a couple of questions....

The bike has around 11.5K miles when I purchased it, I have changed the oil & filter, replaced the air filter, replaced the spark plugs (which looked in good shape). Not knowing the history of it, what else would anyone suggest to change / replace?

The it also has stock seats on it and my wife complains that she sits too high and gets blasted by the wind coming over the windshield. My previous ride was a 89 Suzuki Intruder 750 and when she sat on it, would basically be behind me and could look over my shoulder. My question, does any of the aftermarket seats change the seating height of the passenger? For me, it could be a net change, for example lower the passenger seat and raise the rider seat.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

·
Registered
528 Posts
Change coolant, change the final drive grease, moly lube the rear splines, check your brake pads, and flush your brake fluid and you will have covered all of your maintenance bases.
Not sure about R passenger seats, but you might look at adjusting your windshield angle to eliminate her wind blast too.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Change coolant, change the final drive grease, moly lube the rear splines, check your brake pads, and flush your brake fluid and you will have covered all of your maintenance bases.
Not sure about R passenger seats, but you might look at adjusting your windshield angle to eliminate her wind blast too.
+1 on the additional fluids.

As for the aftermarket seats such as Mustang and Ultimate. Both, that I have seen for the R, actually raise the passenger. My suggestion would be a taller wind screen. Or perhaps a custom built-to-your-specs seat. Checkout Robert Doerr at

http://www.robertdoerr.com/motorcycle_seats

Robert is a valued member here and from what I've seen does wonderful work. Perhaps he can assist you. :)

·
Darkside Pastor & Addict
4,151 Posts
You will want to adjust the valves as well. They are to be done every 8,000 miles. This is one of the critical things that must be done on the X. Just a reminder that the engine has to be stone cold to get the proper adjustment.

Pdave

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
You will not find a lower rear seat because of the design of the bike. You can get a better seat set that will make you and here comfortable. Also rear floorboards are a must for her - everyone's passenger in the past had almost demanded getting floorboards for her.

Ultimate makes a really good seat for her and also one for you with a backrest.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
You will not find a lower rear seat because of the design of the bike. You can get a better seat set that will make you and here comfortable. Also rear floorboards are a must for her - everyone's passenger in the past had almost demanded getting floorboards for her.

Ultimate makes a really good seat for her and also one for you with a backrest.
+1..The stock seat is the thinnest (and most uncomfortable) one out there....

I will disagree about the passenger pegs though...My wife is perfectly fine with the stock pegs on the bike...She has seen others and like them, but says it's not a priority on our bike....

·
Registered
2006 VTX 1300c
52 Posts
Do you take the bike to a Honda dealer for a valve job? Can any motorcycle mechanic perform this? About how much should this cost?

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
Do you take the bike to a Honda dealer for a valve job? Can any motorcycle mechanic perform this? About how much should this cost?
Anyone can do the valve adjust but the bike has to be stone cold sitting over night is best.
Cost is usually in the $250-$300 range if you take it in.

You can do them yourself for just the cost of the tools needed and there are many good write ups on how to here.

You could also hit one of the tech sessions if you have a group local to you.

You have a bunch of locals in your area that could show you how just ask.

·
Registered
344 Posts
When I got my X 3 years ago I was determined to know what the mechanics are and maintenence of this awesome machine. With the knowledge found here, the best forum around, I have become intimate with my ride! I did my own valve adjustment, as many have done here, and though intimidating at first, it's a very rewarding Xperience. Basic set of tools needed cost less then stepping in the front door of the dealer, although the OTHER MODS may cost more. IMHO Ride Safe!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for your input!!!! I am going to jump in and try my hand at all the maintenance... I did everything on my older ride except the valve adjustment and I think I have everything but the angle feeler gauge for that (which I am going to solve this week -- Can't have too many tools :))

As far as the wife's riding position... thanks for all the advice especially on simply adjusting the windshield. Found that the windshield was at the lowest point in the adjustment range and was easy to raise about 1/2 inch. As soon as I can find time for her to ride with me, I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
if you've done maintenance and you have tools, you'll be okay on here. great write ups, great brothers/sisters and most of them even have pics!

there should be a tech session up in your area, Big Kahuna is having, not sure how far from you it is, but good opportunity for a ride. go to forums, pan down page, see state tech sessions...

here you go:
http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=61031

i'm sure others will chime in since there are plenty of guys up your way. enjoy the site, welcome...:coffee: :choppersm :patriot:

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Do all of your own maintenance.
Hook up with one of the local tech session in your area and you will be able to do some there and also learn a lot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
monte56...

I would love to do that trip.... I live in the SW corner of Ohio, down around Dayton... That would be about a 260 mi trip for me. A bit far for my comfort level of riding... I really haven't done any interstate type riding, mostly around the area on back roads.

Just purchased all tools and planning on tearing into it here soon. I will looking at the cafe for help. I've already found alot of good info on doing the work.

Thanks everyone.

Once I get all the maintenance taken care of, what would be the recommended next step in creating a healthier bike? PAIR valve? A/F adjustment? other?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Valve adjustment isn't hard at all, just a little tight getting the feeler gauges into the inspection holes. When checking mine, I usually set them, and then turn the motor around again and re-check the clearance. Just a little peace of mind to be sure they are set properly. I would also say change your brake fluid. If you don't have a mighty-vac, it is a good chance for more tools. You will be surprised at the difference in color of 5 year old fluid to new fluid. It is also cheap peace of mind. Clean and lube your clutch cable as well. If it hasn't been done before, you will notice a difference. I like to have a spare clutch cable on hand just in case. Honda cables are like $13. Change your final drive oil as well. It only takes a couple ounces. Again, cheap and easy to do. The only other thing I would say to get is a honda service manual. Everything you need to know is in it. The first thing you fix on your bike yourself instead of paying a shop to do it will pay for the shop manual.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to everyone on the forum!!! I did the last piece of maintanence this weekend and that was the valve adjustment. It took be about 4 1/2 hours to do it but feel confident that I did it right. I used the write-up from Poison, watched the video on bareasschoppers (a couple of times) and used input from Donut and others. (Checked with the next bigger gauge to make sure it would not fit and rotated the motor and rechecked). All of the valves were too tight to fit proper guage. Just a minor tweak to them to fit.

Thanks again to everyone who posted information on this forum.

Happy Riding,
Dave

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
Thanks to everyone on the forum!!! I did the last piece of maintanence this weekend and that was the valve adjustment. It took be about 4 1/2 hours to do it but feel confident that I did it right. I used the write-up from Poison, watched the video on bareasschoppers (a couple of times) and used input from Donut and others. (Checked with the next bigger gauge to make sure it would not fit and rotated the motor and rechecked). All of the valves were too tight to fit proper guage. Just a minor tweak to them to fit.

Thanks again to everyone who posted information on this forum.

Happy Riding,
Dave
Next time you will be an hour or more faster just knowing what you are doing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts