Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

pulling a trailer

7K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Beastie Boy 
#1 ·
can i pull a traler made for a crf 450 with the vtx 1800r homemade light waght alum

#3 ·
You want to pull the trailer with the 1800 as the towing vehicle, correct? Are you intending to haul the crf 450 on the trailer? You certainly can pull a trailer with the 1800, as I pull one with my 1300. But you need to be carefull of the weight. My trailer weighs 150, and I probably put 75-100 pounds in it without a problem. But I wouldn't want 500 pounds back there, you won't stop it!

#6 ·
I wouldn't see that as a problem. I don't know the max capacities for the X's, but I know that I have rode 2up pushing 575 not counting what was in my saddlebags which was between 20 and 30 pounds and I'm on a 1300.

#7 ·
There is a rider with a local MC in Glen Burnie, MD (Goes by the name 13), who uses his VTX1800 to tow his Goldwing on a trailer...He has put A LOT of mile son his VTX, and it just keeps running and running....

#12 ·
1800 will work just fine. I tow a camper and it weights 375 empty and 500+ loaded. There are riders that tow more than that with no problems. You will not be able to stop as fast but it will stop just fine. You add weight to any vehicle and stopping distance will increase. Tongue weight is very important. Usually 35-45 pounds.

#17 ·
heck, there is a rioder in my area that uses his VTX to tow his Goldwing on a trailer.

#13 ·
Heck yeah you can. I'm planning on getting a trailer to haul my XR400 behind the 18. Just got my home-built hitch installed over the weekend, now I can start on the trailer.

#16 ·
I briefly looked up that camper, that is a lot of weight and a lot of wind resistance for a 1300, does the trailer have brakes? I pull a small cargo trailer (no brakes) with total loaded weight around 350# (empty 200?). Sometimes it is tough starting off on an incline. Sometimes it is a challenge to stop it! I would recommend a larger bike with better brakes or a smaller camper, in my opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.