Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Question about conceal carry

15K views 53 replies 22 participants last post by  BG-Pete 
Im in TX and have a permit I am wondering if Illinois allows it Ill be traveling threw the state?? TX has No agreement on file with the state.
No sir....hell no....no way....not a chance. Illinois doesn't not allow handguns, no reciprocity, no permits, you can't even own a handgun there. It is one of a very few states left that DO NOT allow handguns. I live in Tennessee and have a CC permit but I can't carry in IL under any circumstances. Your gun will have to be under lock and key and the ammo in a separate location.

If we had an open carry law I would open carry myself as I said earlier Tx is considering it. The Issue I have is the cops having to check every time someone reports a person with a hand gun it will take away there time doing other things.
The only times I've ever even been asked was at an accident scene and a random DL check. Both times the LEO just asked if I had a permit and I answered "yes" and went on my way.
I don't make a big deal of it and my shirt usually covers it, or most of it, and I'm not a kid (56) so I don't present a threat to anyone.

Great question........I was taking care of a State Trooper who reamed me out for not carrying at the time and then when I did, for not having one in the chamber. The LEO's know their response time and would rather ask me questions than attend my funeral.......in other words, if you''re gonna carry, do it the right way....

sent from my fantasy island where all the women are young and beautiful....
What he said....

Food for thought..

Walking through the local mall two nights ago with my son, we both carry and are permitted, and the mall has signs up on the doors and in the parking lot saying "NO GUNS". My son throws his jacket over his shoulder and his LC 9 goes sliding across the tile floor in an over crowded mall. Two young girls, probably around 12-13, see the gun before the big fella can dive and hide it and both are shocked.
So I tell my son he needs to get out to the parking lot and stow the gun ASAP...and before we could get to the door we were approached by a LEO and a mall security guard. They were very nice, reminded us of the signs on the doors and offered to store our guns for us while we shopped.
1. We were lucky that the cop was a reasonable and sympathetic guy.
2. People are a little leary of guns especially now. They had gotten 4 calls.
3. My son has signed up for a tactical workshop in two weeks and has purchased a new holster with a thumb latch.
4. The LEO guessed that while we talked, about 5 minutes, more than 10-15 people had passed us and were carrying without a permit.

Interesting story Frank... another reason I can't do shoulder holsters or jackets... I need it tight on my waist, in front... only place I feel comfortable.

M
I have a little Bulldog holster that looks like a cell phone case that I like. The kid learned a good lesson and was lucky.

Yeah, I have no problem with the restroom, it's slightly off right. Not my junk, my piece, wait I mean... you know what I mean.

As for the quasi-LEO thing, I understand what you mean... if I'm with my family and I hear on the other side of a mall gun shots, I'm going to get them out of there, that's my first and foremost requirement. That being said, in our state law, we are legally 'allowed' (not obligated) to prevent a 'forcible felony' with our use of deadly force... thus, if I see a defenseless woman being raped and bludgeoned I may use lethal force to inhibit the activity... aside from never wanting to get between a married couple (completely different scenario) but if I'm in a convenience store, behind a rack of twinkies, and the place is being held up, gun pointed at the shop custodian, I may consider drawing and taking a shot on the guy... it's not an ego thing, but perhaps an honorable thing... again were I in that scenario and racking the slide would draw attention to me that'd be silly... but if it's ready, he's distracted, I have a clear shot... I very well may take it... 'all' of this is larger gatherings aside... it's a very complicated subject obviously.

Mort
The ever-popular "when to shoot" debate. My oldest son is a prosecutor and once a month his office has an outing. They usually go to a dinner and a movie and he told me last night, while we were having this same discussion, that if someone walked into a movie while he and his co-workers were lined up in the back row and started shooting....they'd be met with a firing line from the rear.

His opinion....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.